PDA

View Full Version : M95 Chilean Mauser Conversion Question

greenmntranger
01-10-2012, 09:34 PM
I know that back in the day, the Siamese Mauser was quite often used as the basis or a 45/70 conversion.

Was wondering if there are any issues to prevent using a 95 Chilean Mauser as a donor rifle for a similar conversion?

roverboy
01-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Thats interesting. I do know that the 95 was designed for lower pressure cartridges than the 98 but, the .45-70 isn't exactly a high pressure cartridge. It might be plenty strong enough for the .45-70. Surely some other more knowledgeable people will chime in .

drhall762
01-10-2012, 11:00 PM
The big reason the Siamese was used was because it was designed for a rimmed cartridge. I am sure the M95 would be strong enough but there may be feeding issues. I have seen an SMLE and a Mosin-Nagant used. I have a link somewhere to the Mosin but you can find it with a Google search. It is a quite complete blog with step by step instructions. Just my 2 cents.

01-10-2012, 11:39 PM
It may depend on how ugly that Chilean 95 is ??? Many of the 95s are pertty nice guns. While many of the milsurp Siamese Mausers tended to be really beat up with poor bores--- they were a natural for conversions. :kidding:

More seriously, I believe that's correct about the suitability. The Chilean 95 is plenty strong for reasonable pressures but it's a bit too small to be a practical candidate- being designed for the 7x57 cartridge.

Multigunner
01-10-2012, 11:57 PM
You would have to open up the bolt face quite a bit for the .45-70 rim, then alter the extractor.

They used to advertise Spanish 93 for $25. Wish I'd bought a couple back then. I had considered building a .303 Brit on a 93 action.
If you must use one of the 93 or 95 actions look for a beat up sporterized rifle as donor, or at least if the barrel is still good offer it to a forum member as a replacement barrel should they need one.

MtGun44
01-11-2012, 01:23 AM
The Siamese was set up for a rimmed case, while most other Mausers are set up for
rimless. Bolt face, extractor and magazine will need mods by someone that knows what
they are about.

Bill

Bret4207
01-11-2012, 08:09 AM
The big thing the Sia had was a mag that was set up for a large rimmed cartridge. I stupidly let mine get away years back. The bolt face is not a biggie, but the mag was.

greenmntranger
01-11-2012, 08:30 AM
I figured the bolt and mag would be the roadblocks to the project.

Always liked my buddy's Gibbs Frontier in 45/70 then he sold it w/o giving me prior notice:cry: .

I have this Chilean mauser short rifle (they came in three lengths ...rifle, short rifle, and carbine) that was partialy sporterized... poorly cut down stock, cleaning rod removed, bent bolt that I would LOVE to put back to original condition other than the bent bolt ...bore is nice...but I cant seem to track down a OEM stock and hardware. Also, the rear sight seems to be a replacement, a mauser sight, but still not OEM.
If I cant put it back to OEM, Maybe just a new stock and rear sight

thanks guys

Larry Gibson
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
The Chilean will not feed the rimmed 45-70 case from the magazine, as mentioned. The Siamese was made for rimmed cartridges, the Chilean M95 was not.

Nothing wrong with the 7x57 (what your M95 is?). My sporterized M95 shoots very, very well with both jacketed and cast bullets.

Larry Gibson

Multigunner
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
The big thing the Sia had was a mag that was set up for a large rimmed cartridge. I stupidly let mine get away years back. The bolt face is not a biggie, but the mag was.

The magwell could be a real problem.

A eastern European county (Lituania?) developed a prototype Mauser carbine .303 british to be issued to machinegunners equiped with WW1 surplus Vickers and Maxim guns they had bought dirt cheap from the British.
They used an angled magazine box design developed by the British gunmaker Rigby.
I'm told only a single example exists.

One might find such an angled magazine box and floorplate available from some British gunmakers. I would expect these are very expensive if available at all.

If the magwell is long enough a angled insert at front and back might do the trick.

FrankG
01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I converted a Oviedo mauser 15-20 years ago for a belted 2.1" 45 and shoot 45-70 velocities in it . Fit a 1:18 twist barrel and chambered .All I had to do was open boltface and mod extractor a little .Cut off 7 mag brass at shoulder and reformed in a series of operations. Shoots cast good . Then they came out with the 450 Marlin . So I bought a set of 450 dies and they work to load my Frankencritter .

bob208
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
i converted a few chopped up 93-95's to .35 remington. it works with out problems. they shoot cast well.

Multigunner
01-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I converted a Oviedo mauser 15-20 years ago for a belted 2.1" 45 and shoot 45-70 velocities in it . Fit a 1:18 twist barrel and chambered .All I had to do was open boltface and mod extractor a little .Cut off 7 mag brass at shoulder and reformed in a series of operations. Shoots cast good . Then they came out with the 450 Marlin . So I bought a set of 450 dies and they work to load my Frankencritter .

A similar short case .458 was developed for a convert ops suppressed Remington 788 rifle.
They modified the .44 magnum version of the 788.

The cartridge used a very heavy bullet at subsonic velocity. A very quite weapon when suppressed.

The Army found the 788 unsuitable for the purpose, not sturdy enough for combat use. They were trying to market it as a police sharpshooter weapon, for counter sniper and hostage situations. Don't know if any PD adopted it.