PDA

View Full Version : Sandbagging a 1911 or other auto-loader

biscot
01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I've never quite figured out the best way to use sandbags for a 1911. What size/shape sandbag, and where do you rest the gun so the sandbag doesn't interfere with the slide or get hit with muzzle blast and allows a normal grip?
Any help/pictures/product recommendations would be appreciated.

Bill

ColColt
01-10-2012, 08:12 PM
When I'm trying out a new load at the range, I just borrow their pistol rest and throw an old towel I brought across the V section. You can't rest your wrist across it as it has a V to rest the muzzle or in the case of an auto, just ahead of the trigger guard. I've also used home made sand bags by getting an old pair of jeans, cutting one of the legs off and, tying one end first and then put enough playground sand in and tie the other end. I used a set up like that to make three for when I did bench rest shooting...two for the fore end and one in the back for under the butt stock. You just had to squeeze the rear one to compensate for minor adjustments in elevation.

roysha
01-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Sneak up behind it and hit it with a blackjack!:kidding:

JayinAZ
01-10-2012, 09:00 PM
On the rare occasions I bench a handgun, I just put my wrists on the bag.

KYCaster
01-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I have the best results when I use the bags to support my hands and not the gun.

One fairly firm bag to support the wrists and a much larger, heavy bag in front.

Use your normal two hand grip and push your knuckles into the front bag. This allows the gun to cycle and recoil normally and if done right has very little effect on POI.

For guns with moderate to heavy recoil, I also put pads under my elbows.

Jerry

missionary5155
01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Greetings
Bags under the wrists have been my best approach on a bench. But as far as shooting my absolute best it is in the "Silly Wet" Creedmore position. I guess the full body contact with the pad on the dirt near removes all my wobbles.
Mike in Peru

biscot
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Good tips. I think I get the picture of how to do it more effectively than I have been, by just placing the frame in a "V" rest and not really having the hands or wrists well-supported.

drklynoon
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Biscot I have had little comfortable success bagging my 1911. Usually rest my support hand on the bag when I bench. this way my control hand will not flex and move the gun. Now for my 1911 I have tryed wrists or forearm supports but all of it has a draw back for me. I have found that I am most accurate resting my support hand but I will enevitably pinch the crud out of myself each time.

williamwaco
01-10-2012, 11:58 PM
I guess I am nuts. I rest the butt of the handgun -1911- revolver or whatever directly on the center of a relatively soft sandbag. I never use hard sandbags. They don't cradle the firearm. Be very careful NOT to get any part of your hand between the butt and the sandbag.

In some cases this will cause a shift in the point of impact. If I am testing accuracy, I don't care. If I am sighting in, I rest my wrists on the sandbag. I never allow anything from the trigger guard forward to touch the bag.

MtGun44
01-11-2012, 01:29 AM
I push the hands into the bag, knuckles against it - IF I use a bag.

I prefer to sit on the ground with my back rested on something solid and put my
hands/wrists between my knees. VERY stable, gun recoils easily from between
the knees.

Bill