PDA

View Full Version : What would you take scouting?

JJC
01-10-2012, 11:37 AM
I am planning a multi day scouting trip with my brother. In western Colorado once the weather getts nicer. We will pack in from the road and set up a spike camp somewhere. I plan on going in about eight miles as the crow flies. This is wilderness with one pack trail according to the map, have to verify once there. I'm not worried to much about bears or lions, more like dangerous people, grow operations ect. Anyone have or know of anyone who has had problems in the middle of nowhere? Barring the border states with Mexico. We will have 45 acp and 40 S&W pistols. Should we error on the side of horse power or fire power, 45 70 or AR 15? Or am I just over thinking it? Thanks, John

bbs70
01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't think you're over thinking it, considering how some people are these days.
Myself I would take my 40 with several extra mags, and my AR, just in case.
I'd rather have it and not need it.
Than need it and not have it

Love Life
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Just remember that an ounce in the morning equals a pound at the end of the day. The 40 S&W along with rifle of your choice should do the trick.

JJC
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
The ounce/ pound thing is the reason for setting up another camp. My brother is from sea level. We will have plenty of ammo. I am stuck between the long guns, decisions decisions.

ErikO
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I'd go with the AR as well. The weight difference will be noticable by dinnertime.

Reload3006
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
if i am not hunting I would be packing my 629 44 mag. will handle any dangerous animal that I may encounter. With the options you have the 45 acp will get r done.

MBTcustom
01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
The AR-15, although I dont personally care for it, was designed with your specific situation in mind. If the 45-70 is lighter, I would definitely take that one but I think that any rifle in that caliber is going to be heavy.
The truth is, it takes practically nothing to knock over a human target, so weight, and ease of transport should be the deciding factors for you.

DragoonDrake
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Depending on your AR and 45/70, as others have said take the lighter one. Between my AR and my 45/70, my 45/70 is the lighter gun and faster to respond with gun.

bruce drake
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Take the AR. 60 5.56 rounds in 3 spare mags will weigh a lot less than 60 45-70 cartridges should you run across pot growers or coyotes (people smugglers) and get involved in a "Deliverance" scenario...

Bruce

smoked turkey
01-10-2012, 02:16 PM
+1 for the 40 cal and the AR platform both with extra mags. When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought of my situation here when I "go to the back" of the property. It is completely different than your situation. Here I take a .22 auto pistol in an old military holster with 5-8 rounds in the mag. I don't need it but it is comforting to have and I take a pot shot at a squirrel if I get the chance. TOTALLY different than your situation. You have to be prepared for almost anything. Take a phone with GPS which I am sure you will.

Love Life
01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Take the AR. 60 5.56 rounds in 3 spare mags will weigh a lot less than 60 45-70 cartridges should you run across pot growers or coyotes (people smugglers) and get involved in a "Deliverance" scenario...

Bruce

I have to agree with the Sir.

MtGun44
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Not going to find maryjane growing in that climate this time of year. Possible to run into
just bad folks, smugglers, whatever. I have hunted and hiked north of Durango a few
times, summer and fall. I never carried anything more than a 329 or 629 on hip, 24 rds in
speedloaders in pack. Put that AR in the trunk, keep it handy when on remote roads, but
not too likely to need it once 100 yds from a road. I always want a rifle in the west, handguns
in the open country get outranged VERY quickly and even on 2 lane paved in much of that
country the law is 45 minutes or more away. I can tell several stories about issues getting
out of hand on the small paved roads in SE Colorado and solved by display of a gun, no
gunfire needed. Some folks are just out of control when they know the cops are not
going to be around for 1/2-1 hour at best.

With the open sighted 4" .44 I can reliably hit a 8" plate at 100 yds, and 18" at 200. Good
enough for casual self defense needs in the mtns and woods, but not enough in the flat
country.

Bill

JJC
01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Yea I'm leaning AR. Deliverance has entered my mind. Will have a phone, gps, map compass ect. I have seen a 55 gr hollow point punch through and exit an antelope. So we should be good on defense two or four leg critters. Just scouting not hunting.

JJC
01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Mtgun 44 you started off comforting atleast.

Love Life
01-10-2012, 02:39 PM
just shoot it until it stops moving. Best advice I ever got was "Once you get on the trigger stay on the trigger until the threat is no longer a threat."

clintsfolly
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Carry whats light and FUN! More people have died form the stress and worry of bear and boogie men then have been killed by bear and boogie men!!! Go have fun and find the spot to hunt of your Dreams Clint

JJC
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Well put Mr. Clint. Should a bear show up I can out run my brother. If the boogie man jumps out I will have the AR

starmac
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
If I thought there was any kind of chance I would need 60 rounds, I would not go there.

bob208
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
well as much i do not like the ar i would take that over the .45-70.

now if i were picking from my guns i would take my stainless ruger secrity six and my rossie 92 in .357 with 3 boxes of shells.

stubshaft
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
45/70 Guide Gun or my pistol gripped 870. Both are light and handy.

starmac
01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Have you checked the laws as far as carrying a high powered rifle in the wilderness out of season. I know there are some different laws state to state.

Springfield
01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Take what you shoot the most and/or can hit the best with. Spray and pray doesn't cut it with me.

Chicken Thief
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Why not adopt the Democrat way and just debate with the offender?
Save you a lot of gunweight and only waste you some breath.

Oh yeah and when that goes to (Incert naughty word for used food) shoot their sorry (Incert naughty word for rectum in plural) to kingdom come!

Ickisrulz
01-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Having been in the mountains many times while living in Colorado Springs, I'd go with as light a firearm as possible. The altitude will suck the energy out of you quick.

waynem34
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
If you both carry the same caliber pistol and something does go south twice the ammo if one gets wounded and can not fight.Couple good knives.I would take my 10mm and a mountain rifle maybe something short and easy to get around with in the thick' I like my model 7 Rem 243.I like something that will get through the tree limbs and smaller brush.I've always liked a 30-30 for reaching into brush and limbs and the bullet makes it in and does alot of damage.I'm sure the ar would do the same job,I would take that for sure If I had it.If couldnt carry a gun I wouldn't go.I would also move as if I were hunting ,making very little noise and tracks if I could help it.A bolt gun and a revolver would be very reliable.Maybe one of those game ears to enhance hearing.Camp site should be on high ground and make it concealed.I'm rambling now and I always over think things to the point of NO RETURN!!!!Never can be to careful.Have a safe trip.

waynem34
01-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Game cameras are very nice if you can setm and leavem and go back see what kinda game you looking at.

BD
01-10-2012, 09:58 PM
For me, out of season walking = handgun, riding = long gun. Then again, I never really did any spring scouting in the high country. I was always more concerned with where they were in late summer, and where they wintered. Hunting season generally falling between those two areas.
BD

MT Gianni
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I would go with the 40's and Ar unless you had a 30-30. Short easy to pack and nothing to worry about if someone see's you with it. Someone going into the woods with visible AR's might be reported as scouting for a grow operation. Save the 45-70 for Spring Bear.

bowfin
01-11-2012, 12:21 AM
I would be more afraid of the weather than anything else.

That being said, go with the AR-15.

DragoonDrake
01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
I am with Starmac. If you think you need 60 rounds, then what are you doing there. I still keep my vote on the 45/70 if it is light.

mroliver77
01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Do you have to pack ALL of your water needs? That in itself can be quite a burden. If I am the pack mule I want no unnecessary weight.

In your scenario I would think a good rifle would be a 10-22 with carbon fiber barrel setup to be very light.A couple hundred rounds of premium ammo would not cost much in weight. A 10 round mag in the gun and a dependable high capacity mag or two on your pack or harness. A fellow well acquainted with such a gun could make it mighty uncomfortable for undesirables.

It is a shame nobody makes a European style stalking rifle these days. A very light single shot in .223, .243 or even 30-30 that would carry well but still have decent range would be great for hiker #2.

Personally, I am more nervous about going down to the city for a doctor appnt then being in the wilds.
Just my take on it.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
I much prefer a rifle. if I am driving and not Hiking. heck take the 45-70 and a thousand rounds you have enough for a war. If your Hiking and just need something in case one mag and the 45 will do what you need its insurance. I learned humping the less i carry the happier camper I am.

JJC
01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Have you checked the laws as far as carrying a high powered rifle in the wilderness out of season. I know there are some different laws state to state.

There is a law but that pertains to hunting small game during a big game season and caliber restrictions/ requirements. I hope not to need 60 rounds but will have them if the AR goes, probably more. I'm not a spray & pray, but then again I have never been in a bad situation like that. I would not put my self there intentionally either. Having limited ammo in a bad situation is not what I want to get into. Locating water is part of setting up camp. We will carry some in and I plan on getting a filter to refill the bottles. Worst case we hike back to the truck to resupply. In asking here, I figure many of you have more time in the woods than I or collectively we do. I was interested in what your thoughts were. I appreciate the info and will read it a few times. Probably take a note or two. John

MBTcustom
01-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Seriously, you should go buy yourself an AK-47. Everybody should have one, and it is designed specifically with your situation in mind. I cant wait to get one myself.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Do map recon first. Ensure the trail you plan to take is still there.

Use a COMFORTABLE pack. You say it is 8 miles in as the crow flys? Well once you get to hiking up and down hills/mountains, having to go around stuff, etc you are looking at a long hike.

Even if it were flat ground and a straight path if you coverd 3.5 mph you are looking at 2 1/2 hours of steady walking with whatever load you decide to carry.

Load- Assuming here, but this makes sense:
Tent
sleeping bags
chow
water (possibly)
spare clothes and boots
hygene gear
weapons
ammo
whatever else.
Possibly 40 lbs per person if spread loaded well.

Once again I am assuming.

Hydrate aproppriately starting 3 days prior and ensure you intake the vital nutrients for the body. Think salt. I do a lot of long range hikes in my job and on my free time. Oh if you take a GPS take a compass as well. Sometimes eloctronics take a dump on you and you are SOL.

grumman581
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
What would I take scouting?

A girl scout?

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/1101/girl-scouts-girlscouts-cookies-demotivational-posters-1294455941.jpg

Sorry... Couldn't resist... :)

JJC
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Can't argue with that Grumman581. 8 miles will not be covered in one day. Thats where we will end up. We will hike in somewhat heavy then set up camp and head out from there. I always have a plan b if gps goes out.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you have a fun trip planned. I would try to set up near a stream. Not for drinking water, but for gold panning!! Of course then I wouldn't get any hunting done...

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Lots of great advice already given, but I will throw my name in the pot.

Get you some MRE's (Meals, Ready to Eat) and take em apart. Most of that stuff can be S*canned, and they pack better when you are only taking precisely what you need. Also take along water purification tablets. Easier than packing a lot of water and if you do accidentally need them, they are a couple ounces of weight making a couple gallons of water safe to drink. Take some Pepto tablets just in case. They come in foil blisters and are waterproof. A DECENT, WATERPROOF first aid kit is always a must. With a plastic jar (2 or 3 ounces) of 90% alcahol. This can be diluted with water for washing out a bad injury or used straight on a little tender for a fire starter. A space blanket is always a must. Useful for anything from fighting cold to boiling water. Also, when you get a compass, get one with an attached mapsquare for accurately determining distance. Also, look up the difference between magnetic north and map north. This can throw you off several hundred yards off bearing. Make yourself a ranger pacer. It is a small piece of rope or cordage with 10 beads on it. As you count out 100 steps or so, jump a bead over the knot in the middle. When you run all 10 beads, you have gone one "click" or kilometer. Then you dont forget how far you have traveled. Also, stop by the ranger station with a map of your intended route, a copy of yours and your buddies drivers licenses, and emergency phone numbers. If you dont show up within your time, they know who to look for where, and what you look like and where your family can be reached in case of emergencies. Not a bad idea to write down medication allergies, special medical concerns, etc so if you are found unconscious, they dont load you up with penecillian when you are allergic to it. It has been known to happen. While at the rangers station, mark on your map where any landmarks are, streams, cliffs, Ranger Outposts, Emergency substations, power lines, old mines, etc. Great for navagation correction, emergency contact to the ranger station, safety from predators and 2 legged snakes, shelter, etc.

Now on my list, but maybe not yours, I take 2 roadflares and a smoke signaling device. These are available at any boating store in many colors. This is for medical evac in case of one of you needing air rescue. And the flares are fair firestarters when everything is wet.

As far as weapons, I would even cut down on the pistol and ammo in exchange for an M-4 on a single point sling. The AR is heavier, true, but it is more effective in any situation you may encounter, more powerful, more accurate (in most hands), etc. A handgun is what you use to get to a long gun. Not a substitution for one IMO. And... you can really keep some heads ringing with an AR out to a long range if you are using it for covering fire while you move or evade a threat. Not to mention hunting food if need be. And heck, maybe you could do some predator hunting while there. Great weapon for it!

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
MMMMMM..... I used to LOVE Girl Scout Cookies.

But I kept running out of Girl Scouts!

I couldn't resist either!

Recluse
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM

Bruce

+1

My first year out of the military and in college, I took several weeks off to go camping up in the New Mexico wilderness--just me and my beloved Doberman, Charlie, who I'd found almost starved to death on a country road in Texas and brought her back to health.

On a trail, I was going up and three scumbag pot-growers were coming down. I had my S&W 686 in a shoulder holster and my CAR-15 in a sling over my back, easily accessible in a nano-second.

The pot-growers actually accosted me, claiming I was "too close" to "their property" and that I'd better turn around and go back down the mountain.

It got ugly.

In today's world, carry something that will deal with the human rodents you encounter. The wildlife is much smarter and far less of a threat.

I'm not exactly a fan of the .223, but it does have its value and use in certain situations, and for something like the above or the topic of this discussion, it is hard to beat.

:coffee:

C.F.Plinker
01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
When I was backpacking we figured 2 miles an hour plus 1 hour per thousand feet of elevation gain or on average 1 mile per hour assuming a 40 - 60 pound pack. Western Colorado has quite varied terrain. You may be able to park as low as 6000' or as high as 10,000' with an elevation gain on your hike of as little as 600 to 800 feet or up to several thousand feet. The total gain can be even greater depending on how many drainages you cross. If you are going for the higher elevations remember that snow can close trails well into June and July.

Check the library to see if any hiking books cover the trails you are interested in. See if the county sheriff and forest service know of any grow areas near where you are planning on going or if they have had any reports of trouble in those areas. I hiked and backpacked in the Central Rockies of Colorado off and on for over 20 years without and problems. If hikers in other parties were packing heat, they did not show it. Carry plenty of batteries for your GPS. I have seen people who rely entirely on them and don't have maps to use when the batteries go out. Or, if they have maps, they haven't been noting their location on the map as they went in.

Let someone back home know where you are going and when you expect to be back. Give them a time to call the calvary if you don't call in by then. Then, when you get back to the trail head or the nearest town call them so they know you are out of the wilderness area. I have one friend who liked to go on solo trips in the back country for 3-5 days. All his wife usually knew was what the nearest town was. He could be off within 20-50 miles in any direction. All it would take is one slip or fall and the resulting injury could keep him stationary for days until someone came along or the calvary came in. I am still amazed that he always made it back.

Hve fun, you well be seeing some spectacular country.

EDK
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
It's an interesting question. Travelling light would be a good scenario for one of the MARLIN lever actions in 357 or 44 or 45 COLT to match your handgun. It is good for most applications.

HOWEVER the AR type carbine would be more practical for "anti social encounters." I'd get the shortest barrel with PERMANENTLY attached muzzle brake/flash suppressor PLUS lowest profile sights, probably with the telescoping stock also....something that is VERY politically incorrect to some people AND obvious you don't use it for hunting rabbits! All the accessories that California laws prohibit would tend to intimidate the bad guys AND make the rifle more portable and easier to use. Watching the documentary about killing Osama Bin Laden might give some ideas about rifle/carbine choices.

This thread has me re-thinking my feelings about 5.56 and AR-15 type rifles. My old M1A BUSH RIFLE with an accepable amount of ammo would be a beast to carry, BUT I don't plan on doing a lot of hiking any time in the foreseeable future.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I think the best suggestion was the girl scouts :-)

Ickisrulz
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=EDK;1540116]
This thread has me re-thinking my feelings about 5.56 and AR-15 type rifles. My old M1A BUSH RIFLE with an accepable amount of ammo would be a beast to carry, BUT I don't plan on doing a lot of hiking any time in the foreseeable future.
QUOTE]

An AR15 with 16" barrel, collapsible stock and red dot optic is THE weapon to have if you encounter a threat. I just would not want to have to carry it in the mountains of Colorado unless absolutely required.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Lots of great advice already given, but I will throw my name in the pot.

Get you some MRE's (Meals, Ready to Eat) and take em apart. Most of that stuff can be S*canned, and they pack better when you are only taking precisely what you need. Also take along water purification tablets. Easier than packing a lot of water and if you do accidentally need them, they are a couple ounces of weight making a couple gallons of water safe to drink. Take some Pepto tablets just in case. They come in foil blisters and are waterproof. A DECENT, WATERPROOF first aid kit is always a must. With a plastic jar (2 or 3 ounces) of 90% alcahol. This can be diluted with water for washing out a bad injury or used straight on a little tender for a fire starter. A space blanket is always a must. Useful for anything from fighting cold to boiling water. Also, when you get a compass, get one with an attached mapsquare for accurately determining distance. Also, look up the difference between magnetic north and map north. This can throw you off several hundred yards off bearing. Make yourself a ranger pacer. It is a small piece of rope or cordage with 10 beads on it. As you count out 100 steps or so, jump a bead over the knot in the middle. When you run all 10 beads, you have gone one "click" or kilometer. Then you dont forget how far you have traveled. Also, stop by the ranger station with a map of your intended route, a copy of yours and your buddies drivers licenses, and emergency phone numbers. If you dont show up within your time, they know who to look for where, and what you look like and where your family can be reached in case of emergencies. Not a bad idea to write down medication allergies, special medical concerns, etc so if you are found unconscious, they dont load you up with penecillian when you are allergic to it. It has been known to happen. While at the rangers station, mark on your map where any landmarks are, streams, cliffs, Ranger Outposts, Emergency substations, power lines, old mines, etc. Great for navagation correction, emergency contact to the ranger station, safety from predators and 2 legged snakes, shelter, etc.

Now on my list, but maybe not yours, I take 2 roadflares and a smoke signaling device. These are available at any boating store in many colors. This is for medical evac in case of one of you needing air rescue. And the flares are fair firestarters when everything is wet.

As far as weapons, I would even cut down on the pistol and ammo in exchange for an M-4 on a single point sling. The AR is heavier, true, but it is more effective in any situation you may encounter, more powerful, more accurate (in most hands), etc. A handgun is what you use to get to a long gun. Not a substitution for one IMO. And... you can really keep some heads ringing with an AR out to a long range if you are using it for covering fire while you move or evade a threat. Not to mention hunting food if need be. And heck, maybe you could do some predator hunting while there. Great weapon for it!

Great post. Remember this? LARS or LAMS? Have to love you some land nav!!

If you want MREs and don't have access I will send you as many as you can stand in a flat rate box for the price of shipping. I save them for SHTF food since I would rather voluntarily eat 3 day old roadkill than an MRE. I hate MREs...

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
I LOVE LAND-NAV!!!!!

I would also rather eat 3 day old road kill and pick my teeth with a gangrenous bone than eat MRE's, BUT when you hungry and there isnt any roadkill, 2800 calories can warm a body good!

Recluse
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I LOVE LAND-NAV!!!!!

I would also rather eat 3 day old road kill and pick my teeth with a gangrenous bone than eat MRE's, BUT when you hungry and there isnt any roadkill, 2800 calories can warm a body good!

I guess you missed the days of C-rations. . . :) Having had C-rations and MREs, I'll take the MREs all day long.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
I guess you missed the days of C-rations. . . :) Having had C-rations and MREs, I'll take the MREs all day long.

Yeah but at least you got smokes in your C-rations. We don't even get the courtesy of smokes these days.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
I LOVE LAND-NAV!!!!!

I agree, but it would be a tough decision between eating that MRE and eating my foot. Knowing my luck if I chose the MRE it would be vegetarian manicotti.

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
No, that vegetarian black bean burrito (see "Brick"). Talk about scaring an Iraqi sand fly off a pile of poop.

I even would take the ham steak or the venerable "four fingers of death" weenies. It is bad when something tastes better cold than hot.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Sadly the good MREs have been discontiued. No more "four fingers of death", hamsteak, chicken ala king, and many more. The trend is moving evermore to vegetarian so we can continue to feed our enemies while staying politically correct. I mean we now have spicy penne pasta with vegetarian sausage and veggie omelet. All I can say is gross.

Thankfully the snacks have gotten better thought. Great thing about MREs is even if you don't eat the main meal you still get about 1400 calories. Now the cold weather MREs are the bees knees.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
C rations were Ok in a pinch depending on what you got. Beef stew was the worst. Alpo looked and I imagine tasted better. but the hot dogs in beans were pretty good as was the fruit. MREs just plane ole sucked at least I thought so.
Air Force box lunches were the best LOL.

grumman581
01-11-2012, 04:30 PM
If you want MREs and don't have access I will send you as many as you can stand in a flat rate box for the price of shipping. I save them for SHTF food since I would rather voluntarily eat 3 day old roadkill than an MRE. I hate MREs...

There's a reason that they were called "Meals Rejected by Ethiopia"... :)

waksupi
01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Something I always pay mind to when hiking in the mountains, when you gain elevation, do not loose an inch of it if possible.

jcwit
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah but at least you got smokes in your C-rations.

HaHa, I remember those, they were so dried out and old, about two drags and there wasn't anything left to hold on to.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
HaHa, I remember those, they were so dried out and old, about to drags and there wasn't anything left to hold on to.

not only were the smokes bad so was the candy Yuck.

waynem34
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Good point to call Ranger station and letem know where you'll be and when you plan on returning.

Bullet Caster
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
I'll have to go with Recluse on this one. Had many a C-rat in my day and the smokes weren't so bad. One C-rat we called Alpo and that was the beef stew. Ah the days of sterno. I've never had an MRE so couldn't compare with C-rats. I'd bet that most of the old jarheads here have eaten a C-rat or two. As I continued to read from the first post I wondered to myself when the first mention about a girl scout would come up. Didn't take long. And as for the OP I would suggest you carry a magnification glass just in case you loose yer lighter or forget the matches. I've made many a fire with that method. Of course I was always put in charge of making the fire. You've got to be good to rub two sticks together (bow & drill). BC

Iowa Fox
01-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Never had an MRE so I can't compare. I do know ham & eggs were horrible, beans & franks weren't too bad. Still got a few of the can openers floating around here someplace.

starmac
01-12-2012, 12:32 AM
I thought the can openers were required equipment, I still use them.

mroliver77
01-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Call me weird but I like Spam! :)
J

Love Life
01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
My family and friends love MREs, but for us who had to live on them they are gross.

To the OP. The offer stands. If you want some MREs give me a holler.

starmac
01-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Call me weird but I like Spam! :)
J

I used to like spam, but at some point they changed their recipe so I haven't bought a can in several years.

JJC
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
My family and friends love MREs, but for us who had to live on them they are gross.

To the OP. The offer stands. If you want some MREs give me a holler.

I appreciate the offer. I may pick one up at the army surplus and try it. I was going to get mountain house meals.

Love Life
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Look for the following:

Spaghetti and meatballs
turkey ala king
Beef patty
Pork rib
Chicken with noodles
Beefsteak with mushrooms
Chicken fajitas
Buffalo chicken

Avoid the following at all costs:
Anything vegetarian
Thai chicken
Country captain chicken

The above three have been known to cause wars, disease, political strife, and just plain taste bad.

mroliver77
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I used to like spam, but at some point they changed their recipe so I haven't bought a can in several years.
You know,
I grabbed a can a year or two back and some hominy then fried it up together. It was not as good as it used to be. My wife and kids would never eat it so I quit buying it years ago.

There is stuff called corned beef hash that I always liked from a can. I bought some of it and was disappointed also.

They keep trying to substitute ingredients with chicken lips, feet and ears. Spam aint spam without the pig snouts and such in it!
Jay

sundog
01-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Corned beef hash is best made home made, like after after St Paddy's day -- if there is any left!

mroliver77
01-12-2012, 11:31 PM
I have never had the real deal sundog. My Ma's family name was Funchion. Her great Grandpappy was from Callen (sp?) Ireland but the family didn't even know they were Irish anymore. St Paddys is not much of a deal around here.

We had lunchmeat from the Deli called corned beef and I liked it. Used it to make Ruben sandwiches.

We used to do "Hobo Stew" in a lard can or new galvanized trash can when the garden was ready. A friend brought a corned beef to throw in and I had never seen such a thing!

I love food and like trying different "ethnic" foods. I miss a lot of the traditional foods that were still around when I was a sprout.

missionary5155
01-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Good morning
Been here in Peru for 26 years + now and the situations I have seen develope walking about the deserts were easily handled with a 44-40 Winchester 1892 lever gun. I do not think most villians are sharpshooters. They are out there to hide & at least know a fired round makes a whole lot of noise. They are looking for easy pickens and a man with a rifle in hand is not to be considered easy to take.
Carry a revolver of the same caliber & you have all you need. How I would enjoy having a caliber 41 mag revolver here with my Marlin 41 mag lever gun. But 44-40 is no mouse thumper. Have a Colt New Service in 44.40 also that gets hauled with me sometimes but the model 92 is so handy and far more easy to lay lead on target so the Colt does alot of sitting at home.
Last time up bought a neet little Kel-Tech Carbine in 40 S&W that uses the same mags as a Glock. Very light weight and very accurate out to 50 yards. Would make a nice woods combo.
Mike in Peru

El Bango
01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I live in Western Colorado and have never needed more than a .22 Magnum six shooter,and that was for a skunk trying to steal our chow.Don't overthink your trip and enjoy yourself.Michael

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Dangerous people...I'd bring a small 38 snubbie.
If bears, then 44 Mag
Jon

Artful
01-14-2012, 03:17 AM
High Altitude makes a sea level guy feel poorly without a pack when hiking up hill. Lightweight is your key, Mountain House makes a good Beef Stroganoff - as far as hardware you can get a AR-15 to about 5 1/2 pounds and a rifle is much easier to hit with when your huffing and puffing than a handgun.

But most people don't like to confront someone with a visable rifle and won't take the time to check out what caliber or range it has, so even 10/22 would work. Folding Stock and velcro to your pack and you won't notice it's there.