PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting help

Jim
01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I was approached by PM by a new member recently, asking for help. This man is a new handloader and caster. To date, he has only acquired the necessary items to handload. He has yet to get any casting equipment or tools.

He's shooting a S&W model 29 and because I have a few molds in this caliber, I'm casting up a few boolits for him. If any of y'all are feeling especially generous and care to help out a new guy, I'd appreciate it.

If you'll shoot me a PM, I'll give you particulars on what he has asked about and how to get in touch with him.

This is what was done for me many years ago and I'm just trying to do the same for someone else.

Thanks, fellas.

clintsfolly
01-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi Jim It may help to know the local of the newbie to find him a mentor. Clint

MtGun44
01-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Probably the most important thing is for him to spend time reading the Lyman cast bullet
handbook, then ask specific questions here and cruise the stickies - esp the handgun
stickies.

The Lyman book has a lot of basic stuff that needs to be laid down as a foundation before
the rest of it will connect up into a solid base of knowledge. Getting it all arranged nicely
and logically like that is much better than our bits and pieces here.

Another great one is Glen's book, a really outstanding resource for casting. But sounds like
this guy needs to start at the basics for reloading before we blow his mind with all the
casting stuff. At first this is kinda like taking a drink from Niagra Falls - easy to get drowned
in the process.

Bill

GRUMPA
01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm for for trying to find someone local, that visual aid stuff does wonders that typing just can't do. There are some things in life that are easy to do and teaching someone to do something without a visual aid of sorts just isn't going to work.

clintsfolly
01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Yes one of our newbies wanted some WW ingots and advice. I think the best think I told him was to pack up your stuff and drive up(2hrs ) and get your ingots and we will have a casting party!! IMHO he learned more in that afternoon then I could tell him in many phone calls and PM's. Clint

deltaenterprizes
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Yes one of our newbies wanted some WW ingots and advice. I think the best think I told him was to pack up your stuff and drive up(2hrs ) and get your ingots and we will have a casting party!! IMHO he learned more in that afternoon then I could tell him in many phone calls and PM's. Clint

I did the same for a local shooter and he is now a member of this forum!
Hands on works wonders.

P.K.
01-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Probably the most important thing is for him to spend time reading the Lyman cast bullet
handbook, then ask specific questions here and cruise the stickies - esp the handgun
stickies.

The Lyman book has a lot of basic stuff that needs to be laid down as a foundation before
the rest of it will connect up into a solid base of knowledge. Getting it all arranged nicely
and logically like that is much better than our bits and pieces here.

Another great one is Glen's book, a really outstanding resource for casting. But sounds like
this guy needs to start at the basics for reloading before we blow his mind with all the
casting stuff. At first this is kinda like taking a drink from Niagra Falls - easy to get drowned
in the process.

Bill

Can't say it better. MtGun44 said it all. Get him the literature and he can do it himself. One availabe on here for free and the other available for low $$$ on Amazon. ;-)

CaptRob
01-12-2012, 04:44 PM
how can we find out if someone is close enough to us to mentor?

Harter66
01-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Ask them. :grin:

I've seen lots of folks ask for help from folks in a specific area.

I've put up a mould for the newbe.

CaptRob
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
where can you post for here? (our town)

P.K.
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Im on the "let's be safe about this." Can't say how many times I have watched someone get smoked helping out.

Get a list of needs
Check him out
Is he one of us?

Gut check is the best for feeling another out. If he passes that then how can we help?

Love Life
01-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Nothing wrong with taking a risk. I know nobody likes to get scammed, but sometimes you just have to have faith and hope for the best. If you do get burned it's not like it was for a RL 550 or $1,000,000,000.

Jim asked for help and I trust his judgement. If it turns out bad I will hold nothing against him.

I'm not trying to start trouble, but just how I feel. I hope I don't get a dung beetle for this one.

Jim
01-13-2012, 12:03 AM
I trust people UNTIL they prove they're not trustworthy. Kinda like innocent until proven guilty?

I'm tryin' to help somebody because that's what I learned from the core group here. I've been with these guys ten years now and I'm doing what they did for me.

x101airborne
01-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Jim
I have some extra equipment such as measurers and an old press, etc. I would be willing to make a small donation to him and pay shipping if it would help him get goin.

When I was having so much trouble with my technique, Gearnasher volunteered to meet with me and sort it out. The things he showed me could not be learned by PM. Us new guys NEED to see it mainly because we dont really know the terminology.

And those of us who are trustworthy and do get burned, have you ever noticed that the Lord usually pays us back with a good deed? Maybe not right then, but I have noticed it. So I dont mind taking a chance or doing a good deed. Even if you may not be a believer, call it Karma, or whatever but it does come back around.

Harter66
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Carolina , the last 1 I recall the fellow titled his post "anyone in the DWF area?" And started w/"I have most of my stuff,but.....". You could post something like "here to help w/in 100 mi of________." Or jump into or social pages. We could ask for a mentor page.

Apoligies how the hijack.

Harter66
01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Umm , Jims got 5000 posts here . I've seen folks here give engines ,trannies,whole cars then drive a truck and 500 mi to deliver it. I find it hard to believe that a long time member here would deliberately rip any of us off.

I'm not making an attack on anyone so don't go getting all twisted. If you have something to help this guy out send it along if you want. If you don't have time or stuff or you really think its a scam,walk away . I really shouldn't have bought an extra mould I have no use for,just to blindly send it off to an unknown person,but I've been burned for a lot more than $25 by people I knew well and liked even after the deal . It ain't like Jim's asking for a lung for his uncles ,cousins,best friends,SILs 12 yo lab.

Jim,
I've a few ingots to spare too. I kinda like stuffing those small FRB to the gills .

Jim
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Umm , Jims got 5000 posts here . I've seen folks here give engines ,trannies,whole cars then drive a truck and 500 mi to deliver it. I find it hard to believe that a long time member here would deliberately rip any of us off.

I'm not making an attack on anyone so don't go getting all twisted. If you have something to help this guy out send it along if you want. If you don't have time or stuff or you really think its a scam,walk away . I really shouldn't have bought an extra mould I have no use for,just to blindly send it off to an unknown person,but I've been burned for a lot more than $25 by people I knew well and liked even after the deal . It ain't like Jim's asking for a lung for his uncles ,cousins,best friends,SILs 12 yo lab.

Jim,
I've a few ingots to spare too. I kinda like stuffing those small FRB to the gills .

Thank you for standing up for me.

I'm sure the guy would be really happy to get some free alloy! Thank you so much!

Love Life
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Hope he doesn't have a back problem!! :bigsmyl2:

Harter66
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Love life,
I said SMALL FRB stuffed to the gills. Not too much room left in 1 w/a complet LEE mould in there. Besides that I love it when the mail guy goes"what's in here lead?"and Honey flips her hair w/the brand new nails ans says"well as a matter of fact,yes." I smile every time I replay that.

Love Life
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
The box I am sending requires 2 arms and bending at the knees to pick up!!

x101airborne
01-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, mine is about 50 pounds and already left out.

Harter66
01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I still don't have the inbound box yet. Ups tracking says it was 72 mi away this morning.

Jim,
Maybe Carolina could help the new guy. They may be niehbors though I'm not real familiar w/that part of the country.