PDA

View Full Version : Hornady projector timing issues.

buck1
03-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Well I was all set to buy the hornady LNLAP when I saw a Hornady projector with 9 shell plates, and looking brand new on Ebone.
Well I couldnt help it and the new twist lock bushing on the LNL didnt get me too excited so needless to say I bought the projector.
I read the instruction book and started setting it up. Its great except the shell plate (looks brand new) didnt advance far enugh as the ram reached the dies.
I played with the shellplate lock nut long enugh to to loose the rest of my hair. Then I played with the RH pawl at the bottom of the ram linkage and it got some better.
The shellplate locks the detents fine as long as I move the handle fairly quickly, and sometimes the ram hangs up on the down stroke of the ram.
The right pawl is warn with a flat spot just down from the tip edge from the tip of the pawl. Ithink that may be the problim? I ordered 2 Pawls from Midway for A LNL press I think/hope they are the same??
Anyone have one thats had trouble like this ? Advice on things to try?
Thanks guys.....Buck

TCFAN
03-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Buck...I have two projectors, one came out of the box perfect, the other one had the same problem that yours has.I adjusted the pawls and the nut on the shell plate and it took care of mine.I had to "play" with it for some time before I got it right.If you have one pawl that is worn that may be your problem....Terry

buck1
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Buck...I have two projectors, one came out of the box perfect, the other one had the same problem that yours has.I adjusted the pawls and the nut on the shell plate and it took care of mine.I had to "play" with it for some time before I got it right.If you have one pawl that is worn that may be your problem....Terry

Thanks TCFAN that reinforces my thought its a pawl problim......Buck

Hairtrigger
03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I keep the nut that holds the shell plate reasonably loose.
Call Hornady and talk to Bob, he is very good at explaining things and helpful as well.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-06-2007, 07:52 AM
buck1,

The feed pawls from the LnL should fit the old Projector. You'll want to clean and grease them to prevent wear and to blue loctite the setting screws to prevent them slipping. Good news on those is, once you've got the timing setup, they'll stay in one place.

That said, I hate to tell you this, but the performance difference between a Lock N Load and a Projector is HUGE. Particularly in these areas: powder through case expansion, die changes, primer feed, power drop activation and caliber change speed.

I don't think you can retrofit the new primer feed, but you can retrofit the case activation powder feed and if you keep that press, I strongly suggest you do.

The projector setup for one caliber isn't bad, but you'll miss those lock n load bushings when you get ready to change calibers.

Regards,

Dave

fourarmed
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
My Projector has a similar problem. When I raise the lever, the right-hand pawl sometimes doesn't go back far enough to catch the next tooth on the shaft. I have fixed the problem by stuffing a paper shim under the arm of the pawl carrier, but there must be some sort of adjustment. It doesn't appear to me that adjusting the height of the pawl would correct that problem.

buck1
03-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks gusys Thats a great help
I ordered the RCBS case activated powder drop at the same time I ordered the pawls, as the measure that came with it was a uniflo and Midway was out of the hornady. But I think the RCBS will work just fine.

flinchnjerk
03-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Buck1
I had the opposite problem with mine when it was fairly new... shell plate wouldn't advance far enough on the downstroke... even with the pawl raised to its maximum travel. I finally cured it by adjusting the pawl housing itself... (the part that's set at the factory and never needs adjusting). The housings are called out as parts 39 and 42 in the exploded diagram. It's a fairly simple matter to adjust the housing.... back off one Allen screw (due to my rapidly advancing age-related CRAFT Disease, I don't recall the size) then tighten the other. Small increments, and go easy on the handle when testing. The housing will likely be centered in its notch; if you adjust it (right hand one) so that it's "leaning" toward the back of the machine, the pawl will maintain contact with the index wheel further into the ram stroke ( and obviously engage later, as well... it required a lot of "adjust and test"; a good working knowledge of Anglo-Saxonisms helps, too).
Could you post and let us paupers who have to make do with our Pro-jectors know if the pawls will work?.

flinchnjerk
03-07-2007, 04:26 AM
Buck1
Another thought has picked its way past all the dead brain cells and manifested itself. If the press's previous owner used a lot of grease on the pawls, it's possibe that grease (along with primer residue, bits of tumbling media, etc.) is packed down into the housing and restricting the pawl's return to full height. I've had to clean out the housings on mine a couple of times. Acetone on a Q-Tip works well.

walltube
03-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I bought a used Projector from our resident "Speed Racer". My choice of seller and machine have made for a very happy transaction. I hasten to add that I have yet to put the Projector to work making live rounds, but, 'dry' runs with .45ACP brass were flawless. .45ACP is going to be exclusive to this press, (well, thus far :)...

Like you, Buck1, a case activated powder drop; be it RCBS or Hornady; is the way to go.

ASAP I get my reloading bench installed, the only 'improvement' to the Projector will be Zerk grease fittings as has the LNL.

Thanks to "hairtrigger's" post I'll give another call to Hornady and ask for 'Bob' when the need arises. The last guy at Hornady customer service was less than helpfull. When I inquired as to what parts specifically are interchangeable 'tween LNL & P'jector, he said "NONE, PERIOD". I knew that not to be true. Also, NOT typical of Hornady C.S. reps, IME. He must have found an unidentifiable hair in his morning porridge or something.

Thanks to all for your info,

Walltube

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Yep, Bob is the guy to ask. Doug is not the friendliest nor the most helpful of people.

Dave

buck1
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
ASAP I get my reloading bench installed, the only 'improvement' to the Projector will be Zerk grease fittings as has the LNL.

The projector has a lifetime warrenty , If you put the grease fittings they MAY say sorry its been altered.
I was going to do that too......................FWIW......Buck

walltube
03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Are you saying Hornady's lifetime warranty is like RCBS' ? No matter how many hands its' passed through? Yeah, Buddy....thanks for the heads up! :D

Maybe I can have the link shafts cross drilled similar to crankshaft journals with a Zerk on one end of the shafts. And, should the the press need warranty work it's a simple matter to replace the drilled shafts with unmodified ones before shipping. Think that'll work??

Wt.

walltube
03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Yep, Bob is the guy to ask. Doug is not the friendliest nor the most helpful of people.

Dave

The second sentence of your post is right on. Bob must spend a lot of time on the phone.

Wt.

buck1
03-08-2007, 12:25 AM
I copied this from the hornady site, I would just send it in and still may have to . But I dont want to wait a long time to put it into action.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"NO-RISK, LIFETIME WARRANTY

All Hornady reloading tools and accessories are warranted against material defects and workmanship for the life of the product. Simply stated – if it breaks, we’ll repair it or replace it at no charge.

If the product is deemed defective by either workmanship or materials, the reloading tool or accessory will either be repaired, reconditioned or replaced (at Hornady Manufacturing Company’s option).

Parts, which by the nature of their function are subject to normal wear such as springs, pins, etc…and parts which have been altered abused or neglected, are excluded from the warranty. This warranty supersedes all other warranties for Hornady products either written or oral.

To return a product, send with transportation prepaid, to:

Hornady Manufacturing Company
3625 Old Potash Hwy
Grand Island NE 68803 "

Prices and/or specifications are subject to change without notice. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BD
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
There are three basic mods which will "tune up" an older Pro-Jector. If you bought an older one and it appears un-used, it probably needs these mods.

1. Clearance the upper side of the passage in the aluminum block at the bottom of the primer feed. the objective is to make sure that the primer and primer cup do not hit the top or sides of the channel as the arm swings the primer out from under the primer tube. If the primer drags on this part it can be set up on edge before it gets under the shell plate. If you forcefully seat one which is up on edge into a primer pocket it will go off. You don't need to ask how I know that this will happen.

2. Replace the piece of flat stock which actuates the primer "arm", The stock bar has a 45 deg angle cut on the top which "snaps" the primer arm over against the ram as you lower the handle. Replace this with a piece of flat stock bent to the same shape, but with a longer tapered cut which will "ease" the arm over to the ram as the handle is lowered. This will require a longer piece of flat stock so you can't effectively modify the stock piece. Slowing the movement of the little primer arm relative to the movement of the much larger handle/ram will prevent "flipped" primers.

3. Pull out the ram and remove the bottom plate. grind a "ramp" into the machined cuts which the pawls click into. Make sure you ramp the correct side so that the back side of the pawl can slide out of the cut without catching. The face of the pawls still want to act against a perpendicular wall of the cut-out. As one pawl is hitting it's working face on the plate the other pawl needs to be able to back out of its hole. This allows you to get the full adjustment out of the pawls as they wear. when you've got the pawl arm all the way back against it's socket, it's time for new pawls.

Clean and lube every year. Graphite the powder measure drum

Replace all of the springs and the ram roll pins every 2 years or 20,000 rounds, whichever comes first.

replace the pawls every 80,000 rounds or so.

You can have the case activated powder drop if you want. The simple rod activated system is much more accurate, and will not double charge a case, (unless you work at it). Look at the measure as you work the handle and look in each case as you seat the bullet and you'll see the snake before it bites you.

If you screw up on a dillon, you may get a double charge. If you screw up on a Pro-Jector you may get a squib. You would really have to work at setting off the primers in the tube in a Pro-Jector, not so with some other setups. Choose your own poison. I don't know how many rounds of .45 acp I've loaded on the My Pro-Jector. I quit counting around 50,000 a few years after I bought it used in '95.
BD

walltube
03-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Buck1,
for posting Hornady's warranty info. Comparing Hornady to RCBS' warranty, seems as though RCBS has the edge.

BD,
I've printed your post for future reference, will probably save me some money on aspirins. :)

Y.T.

Wt.

dromia
03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
From my experience RCBS customer back up is gilt edged and better than Hornady, which in my experience isn't bad but just not as comprehensive as RCBS.

Unfortunatley RCBS doesn't make a progressive to match the current LnL AP, don't know why they dropped the Ammomaster. Mines still cranking the rounds out with its usual trouble free efficiency.

Good luck with your Projector, I looked at them 12 odd years ago when I was buying the Ammomaster.

The Ammomaster was cheaper so it ended up on my bench.

buck1
03-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Thats some great info BD I will get a bit of barstock and give it a go !
I got the pawls in........
Well the Pawls are NOT the same! Nor will they work at all. the cut for the roll pin is on the wrong side and the heigth is wrong.!
But the ammo catcher is the same.
I emailed Hornady monday and as of Friday no responce. I will call them on Monday and ask for Bob, thanks for the tip. And all the help guys!!
After "getting away from it and looking at it with fresh eyes and a slightly recovered brain I have decided that the RH pawl has a warn out tip. So Hornady will get a request from me come Monday!
THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE ! YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN A HUGE HELP!!