PDA

View Full Version : Double trouble; reloading and forum n00b

MikeD7
01-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey guys! I am new to your forum and I have just recently started reloading. I have looked through quite a few threads and I have not found exactly what I am looking for. I am shooting a 125 grain cast 9mm with 3.8 grain of Tightgroup. I have found that this combination is not really working for me. They cycle fine but my problem is smoke. I know that it is the lead burning that causes the smoke. I can see that a lot of members prefer Unique. Does Unique smoke like crazy with cast bullets? Thanks in advance!

-Mike

canyon-ghost
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Unique burns pretty clean. Smoke might be a problem caused by bullet lube, don't know.

9mm with 125 grain Devastator
3.2 grains of Bullseye
Carnuba Red

Ron

Larry Gibson
01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
It's not the "lead" that is smoking, it is the lube. What lube?

Larry Gibson

wv109323
01-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I believe that your smoke is created by powder and/or bullet lube. It should not be the lead that is smoking. Try the Unique.

wv109323
01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I forgot to say welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask away with the questions.

MikeD7
01-10-2012, 01:11 AM
This is the exact round I am shooting. Could it be the wax ring? I am not using lubricant on any of my reloads. The Titegroup does not smoke at all when I shoot plated rounds. Thank you guys for the help. I welcome any and all input.

http://www.qualitycastbullets.com/bullets/9mm-125gn-rn

01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
The "wax ring" is the bullet lube and the source of the smoke.

MikeD7
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Can you point in the direction of a powder that wont burn so hot? I guess? Or what can I do to lessen the smoking?

Thanks!

btroj
01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
To reduce the smoking try a different lube. It is the lube that cause the smoke, not the powder.
Be aware that changing the lube may change how the load behaves.ni have found that some lubes don't give leading with a certain load Ina certain gun yet a different lube will with the same load.

Is the smoke really bad enough to warrant a change?

MikeD7
01-12-2012, 01:35 AM
To reduce the smoking try a different lube. It is the lube that cause the smoke, not the powder.
Be aware that changing the lube may change how the load behaves.ni have found that some lubes don't give leading with a certain load Ina certain gun yet a different lube will with the same load.

Is the smoke really bad enough to warrant a change?

Yes it is bad. If I shoot 5 shots back-to-back, but not rapid firing, it leaves a huge cloud of smoke. If it was a little bit of smoke I would be fine but it is more than I am willing to put up with. If I fired an entire magazine it would be enough to clear out and 8 lane indoor range.

I don't think that I can change the lube because I do not cast my own bullets. I purchase them for a local guy and they come exactly as you see them in the link I posted above. In fact, that is his website. I really would like an easy solution because I don't want to have to get different rounds, I would just like another powder to lessen my problem. I do expect some smoke with cast bullets.