PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Shock

giz189
01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Did I get a surprise the other day when I went to my local gun store, where I was once employed, to purchase just 1 can of GOEX FF Black Powder. One of the employees told me it had taken a price increase. 1 lb was $34.95. YOUCH! If I didn't still get my 20% employee discount, I don't think I would have bought it. Looks like I will be ordering it from some of the online powder suppliers from now on. Maybe the KIK prices won't increase to quickly. Where have you guys found it the least expensive?

Don McDowell
01-09-2012, 07:02 PM
How far are you from Powder Inc in? That's the only place at this time you can get KIK, and it's only a tad over 15$ a pound delivered in 10 lb lots and gets cheaper in full case orders. They also sell over the counter.

Maven
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
giz, Check this site as well: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html

excess650
01-09-2012, 08:34 PM
That is highway robbery!

I was at Dixon's and saw Goex at $23 and Swiss at $30 and thought that outrageous.

If you don't want to pony up the $ for a case to make the hazmat palatable, it looks like they got ya by the short hairs!

gandydancer
01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
If you buy in 25 lb lots from the maine powder house mix & match or from Grafs its about $13. to $15 bucks a lp price includes Haz-mat and shipping. Getch

get a group buy going in your area. that's what we do.

MainePowderHouse.com!

gunplumber
01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
i almost cant believe that price, its $10 a pound more than swiss. go to powder inc or have them ship it to you Powder Inc.
1861 North College Ave.
Clarksville, AR 72830

wv109323
01-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I understand that the BATF will not issue you a new permit to sell Black Powder. They are totally discouraging the sell of Black Powder.

bigted
01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
thusly a question about graf & sons...they have pretty good prices it apears but can we mix with size per a 25 lbs order? such as 10 of 1f and 10 of 2 f and 5 of swiss 1f?

i have never ordered here and need to know what is involved and also is there additional charges to that that is advertized on their site?

Don McDowell
01-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Yes you can order a good mix of the powders they offer. You can even just order 1 or 2 lbs.
Powder Inc. will mix and match brands as well, but the smallest batch they'll ship is 5lbs.

wgr
01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
man if you were closer i would sell you a can or 2. just to keep you from being robbed

giz189
01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Yep it is highway robbery. I am a good ways from Powder Inc, but I can order from them. This is what I was looking for was some good places to buy from. Thanks. I will ck them all.

bigted
01-10-2012, 01:02 AM
so im just about to run outta my stash of goex cartridge and am contemplating an order from powder inc for some 1f kik. id like to start my new 120 out with whatever im going to be able to continue to purchase and it looks like the cartridge is a thing of the past.

i am not sure i want my new one to get used to swiss and so maybe ill mix the order with 5 of 1f kik and 5 of 1f goex. im gonna have to have supplys on hand for when the weather clears and i wont be butt deep in snow to set-up targets. sides that me ol legs dont like the workout they used to so im getting a lil soft i recon. oh and beins im belly-ackin my dang hands wont stay warm without three inches of insulation on em anymore either.

Hang Fire
01-12-2012, 02:49 AM
thusly a question about graf & sons...they have pretty good prices it apears but can we mix with size per a 25 lbs order? such as 10 of 1f and 10 of 2 f and 5 of swiss 1f?

i have never ordered here and need to know what is involved and also is there additional charges to that that is advertized on their site?

I have ordered mixed granulations from Graf with no problem.

One thing to remember, the Graf BP brand is identical to the Schuetzen BP brand. They are made in the same plant and a few years ago Mad Monk ran the tests that confirmed it. Graf BP is considerably cheaper than the Schuetzen.

bigted
01-12-2012, 05:14 AM
so wrote powder inc and asked them about x-tra costs to fairbanks alaska....said their cost per pound was to seattle and the shipping from there was extra. sorry state of afairs as ussually the shippers to alaska just bend ya over and most the time the shipping is as much as the item being shipped and that is not an explosive like black powder so the search goes on for a cheep way to buy our chosen powder here in the golden north. its not impossible to get...just a lil spendy is all

Don McDowell
01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Ted might see if these guys are still around. They're in AK and sell KIK
http://www.norwestcompany.com/indent.htm

McLintock
01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
There's another outfit in Clarksville that sells BP. Clarksville Gun and Rod, Phone # 479-754-8358, has it and travels to various places selling it at major BP events. He comes out to Phoenix, Az every February to the National Muzzelloaders shoot and brings a big trailer full of it to sell. That's where I've gotten my BP for several years now. He might visit some shoot closer to you where you could drive to get it and avoid hazmat fees. Call him up and find out; the owners name is Don Eichenberger.
McLintock

Don McDowell
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Hazmat fee is 25$. I always wonder when someone says drive someplace to buy powder and save the hazmat fee,,, if they've thought about how many gallons of gas that 25$ would buy them and then how much was the savings with that 25$ gas and mileage on the car is figured in? Not to mention the time spent. Probably a stop at the convenience store, coffee shop or cafe....

McLintock
01-12-2012, 04:31 PM
You're absolutely right Don, if you stick to just the dollars and cents aspect. But, I tend to dislike lawyer mandated and/or company mandated fees like the hazmat fees, and If all I can do is break even on gas cost vs hazmat fee, I'll do it. UPS and FedEx are getting to gun owners bad enough by charging exhorbinant shipping charges for handguns, and paying them the extra to ship me some powder or primers is too much, if I can drive a little bit and buy it over the counter; keeps me out of the bars and bar fights. Also, if you only want 5 or ten pounds, if makes a difference. But, that's just me, everyone's free to do whatever they want. Hell, I own almost 25 Ruger single actions, and not a lawyer mandated New Model in the bunch. This includes vaqueros, 44 Specials, 32-20's and 44-40's, all of which were never offered in the Old Model Rugers, but are or have been in the New Models.
McLintock

bydand
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Now folks you got to realize them hazmat fees are just the gubmint protecting us from all those trucks that used to blow up every day on the highways while carrying Black powder.
We gots ta protect da chillun!
Of course once da messiah gets re-elected you won't have to worry about that since you won't have any EVIL guns ta shoot.

Don McDowell
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I can tell you there are alot more things than just powder and primers that draw the hazmat fee. There's hazmat on things like Ivomec pouron for cattle, and most things aersol, plus some cleaners and the list goes on.
And you're not getting out of paying it by going to the local store, because the local store pays it as well, and it's figured into the price on the shelf.

koehlerrk
01-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Count yourselves lucky.... NY reclassed ye holy black as an explosive a couple years ago.

Almost no one carries it anymore, and while it's legal to own and transport, take a look at the rules we got forced down our throats...

NY Health and Safety (http://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safetyhealth/sh39_12.shtm)

bigted
01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
thanks don...ive dealt with the nor' west company before. nice fella and cordial but i was looking for the 13.00 per pound that powder inc advertised is all for kik powder. definetly will hook up with swanny again for future purchases.

Don McDowell
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Ted his site has that deal where they tested the KIK. With the highcost of shipping I don't think you'll get any powder cheap like we do down here unless you know a snowbird that's down this way and headed back when iceout comes.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-14-2012, 06:29 AM
If only I lived in USA, Wano $AU68/kg for standard grades, $AU76 for P grades. $AU105/kg for flash powder for the flintlock.

Percussion Caps $AU110/1000

Ed in North Texas
01-14-2012, 07:29 PM
If only I lived in USA, Wano $AU68/kg for standard grades, $AU76 for P grades. $AU105/kg for flash powder for the flintlock.

Percussion Caps $AU110/1000

Ouch! That hurts this far away! :(

Ed

cajun shooter
01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Big Ted, If you still want to shoot Goex Cartridge which is gone as you know. There is a shop in Winchester, VA. by the name of Back Creek Gun Shop.
They sell and ship BP and Have a supply of Goex Cartridge left.
I have some that I found but several members have had such good luck with the new lot of KIK #3910 that it may out shoot the cartridge.
I shot some in my SASS match on Saturday in my 44-40 that was loaded with 40 grains of KIK 2F that was compressed .31 with a .030 wad and my Accurate 43-210B bullet.
It is as Don Mcdowell has posted. It's very clean shooting and accurate and I will find out today about the cleaning. I was able to run a bronze brush down the barrels of my TTN and nothing but a dry grey dust exited the bore.
It's a shame that a US state is under penalty because of it's location. That should have been a priority with Canada at the time of Statehood so that we could access the state without penalty.
It's a joke about the Hazmat fee to start with and like all taxes that make millions for the shippers by imposing a hardship on the citizens of the state and country.The facts were so distorted when this fee was put into law it is laughable.
A fact that may not be known is that these very shippers violate the law every day by transporting more BP than is allowed by Federal law so they must not consider it as dangerous as they say. I'm sure they care about the safety of all the people that are within feet of this highly dangerous product.
The more falsehoods that are stated by persons who have never been within 100 yards of any BP gun or a pound of the powder will continue to lessen the supply and increase the price till only the rich may enjoy the sport.
I will quit shooting when all I'm able to purchase are the "FAKES" which I refuse to shoot.

bigted
01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
thanks guys...im gonna try to get a few lbs of kik and give it a try in the dryyyyyyy interior. cant make a snowball except in the very early fall and last white mush in spring. im hoping the kik will add up...again thanks for the encouragment fellers!

bigted
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
well sent an e-mail to swanny and he informs me that KIK is no longer available...wonder if this is just from him or is the KIK harder to aquire then goex?

also david...gonna try to get a load developed with something that is going to be around for awhile as the cartridge seems like it went the way oof the dow dow bird. i still have 14 pounds so ill keep using it as i experiment with 'other' powder till i get a load developed i like.

may have to try to get some KIK from a seller in the states but i really hate the shipping...ho hum whats a feller to do when ya live in paradise??

thanks again all

Ed in North Texas
01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
well sent an e-mail to swanny and he informs me that KIK is no longer available...wonder if this is just from him or is the KIK harder to aquire then goex?

snip

may have to try to get some KIK from a seller in the states but i really hate the shipping...ho hum whats a feller to do when ya live in paradise??

thanks again all

I bought 10 lbs about a month ago from Powder Inc.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

i get my black form Jon at addicted to black powder, the diamond back powders are working just fine in our muzzle loaders but he has other brands also

i drive down and pick it up , i try and wait for a few friends to want to put together an order ,it is a decent drive but the wife found a place she likes to eat on the way.

Don McDowell
01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Well Ted looks like you're stuck with ordering from Powder Inc and paying the shipping from Seattle... Wish I knew when my wife's classmates were heading back for the summer (they live on the Kenai) I'ld talk them into taking some that far.

bigted
01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
lol...storie of the alaska living...whats here aint too bad in price but shipping small stuff is usually more then the item itself...still wont trade off the living here for all the comfies in the states. guess ill try the powder inc again and see if i can nail down a price.

Don McDowell
01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Jerry's a good egg, I'm pretty sure he'll do you the best he possilbly can.

Jon K
01-18-2012, 12:41 AM
bigted,

Just bought a case of KIK from Powder inc, last week $325 to my front door.

Jon