PDA

View Full Version : Will this compression die work for .45-90 WCF?

Sixgun Symphony
01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423150/montana-precision-swaging-black-powder-compression-die-with-stem-45-caliber

The information just says "45 caliber", will it work for the .45-90 WCF cartridge?

I am not even sure what it does. Is it so I can get extra gunpowder in the case?

montana_charlie
01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I am not even sure what it does. Is it so I can get extra gunpowder in the case?
It is used to compress the black powder charge down to the seating depth of the bullet.
That one looks like it will work with 45/90 brass ... and other lengths, as well.

CM

Lead pot
01-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Get this one and it will work.

Take out the expander plug out of your Lyman or RCBS expander die and screw this one in.
Just tell them what die set you have.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164562&CAT=3777

Sixgun Symphony
01-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Get this one and it will work.

Take out the expander plug out of your Lyman or RCBS expander die and screw this one in.
Just tell them what die set you have.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164562&CAT=3777

I got it. :D

bigted
01-09-2012, 11:14 PM
another thing ive found helpfull is to break the sharp edge around the circumfrence of the compression shaft as the sharp edge has ruined a couple cases when i didnt get them all the way in the shell holder...when this sharp edge is broken just slightly then even when you dont quite get a perfect lineup with that stem it will not crinkle the wall of your brass.

i did mine with a piece of 600 grit emery cloth and spun the stem with my fingers and rubbed the edge with the other paw. you dont have to go too far...just enough to break the sharp edge.

Lead pot
01-10-2012, 12:21 AM
A slight bell on the case mouth will help more.

bigted
01-10-2012, 01:10 AM
A slight bell on the case mouth will help more.

at least along with...maybe mine came sharper then most as mine crunched a couple cases that were belled already but got cought on the sharp edge...[sharp enough that it would cut paper...i know as i tryed it] so im just sayin...if yours is as sharp as mine was...might think about breaking the sharp edge.......but thanks for adding the belling as i didnt think to add that to my sordid storie........thanks 'lead pot'[smilie=f:

Lead pot
01-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Ted.

My fingers some times don't keep up with my brain, I meant add a bell and it will help more.
I make my own plugs and expanders and I take off the sharp edge too.

bigted
01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
LOL...leadpot i learned the hard way about what a cast boolit will do to an expensive case when ya dont bell the mouth...when the first ruger 375 hawkeye came out i bought one and when my redding dies...[only dies available when this cartridge first came out and the only cases were the fired rounds from a very expensive factory round...78 dollars per 20 as i recall] and after crunching a few of these golden cases with my 300ish grain boolits i stopped trying till the cases became available from hornaday at a bit less dollars then the factory loaded cases were.[[[doesnt pay to be one of the first to get a new to the market rifle huh?]]]

at any rate i did neglect to include the belling portion and i do thankyou for including it with this little post. it is the small things that make for a pleasant experience or another of those 'wish i hadnt done that' things.

id be interested in your compression plugs leadpot... can you pm me the info on them...[[considering i guess that you do them for sale]]

mazo kid
01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Like leadpot, I make my own compression stems. I just get a couple of bolts with the right threads for the die I use and turn the heads down. $1.00 will get you a couple of bolts at your local hardware store. If you don't have a lathe to turn the heads down, you can (carefully!) grind the heads down. It helps to drill a proper size hole in a piece of scrap steel to check your grinding progress.

cajun shooter
01-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Case Annealing is one step that will help with the accuracy of that 45-90 when you start using compressed charges. Later David

kokomokid
01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I make most of my neck expanders/comp plugs but track wolf has a good selection of Lee expanders that work.