PDA

View Full Version : Another sizing question

sgtD
01-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Hello All,

I have lurked on this forum from time to time and finally joined, because I did a search like I usually can on here, but could not find an answer to my question.

I have been reloading for several years with cast, plated, and jacketed projectiles, but just recently started casting my own boolits.

I am just wondering when one needs to size a bullet?? Is there a rule of thumb of say .002 or more than bore or what? My first cast boolits are for .38/.357 mag, from a .358 Lee semi-wadcutter mold using wheel weights. I have cast around 300 so far. They come out at .359.

I have tumble lubed them with LLA and loaded several. They load, shoot, and chamber fine with no leading problem, so should I be sizing these things or not.

I am about to order .452 and .356 molds to start casting for my 45acp and 9mm, so I want to be more informed about this stuff.

Thanks in advance. This site is a great resource for sure.

waksupi
01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
At the time, it sounds like you have it covered like a fat lady on a pot. All you need to do is find your most accurate powder load now.

Welcome aboard!

stubshaft
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Not every boolit needs to be sized the individual gun will tell you what it likes and just go with it.

mdi
01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
"...have tumble lubed them with LLA and loaded several. They load, shoot, and chamber fine with no leading problem, so should I be sizing these things or not."

Are you wanting your bullets to lead the barrel? Is your accuracy too good? There seems to be no problems loading, or chambering, or leading, so why would you do anything to change that?

sgtD
01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Ok, so unless I have a problem, then I don't need to size. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something important that I was missing.

I am just using the cast boolits to punch paper cheaply, not shooting bullseye matches or anything. At least not presently.

By the way, my next challenge will be casting .309 flat nosed bullets with gas checks for my 30-30. My dad gave me the Lee two bullet mold for Christmas, so I have the checks and Lee lube and sizer deal on order from Midway right now. I will be sizing those when adding the gas checks.

A guy gave me a lead furnace and I am getting wheel weights for free from my neighbor and his freind who work at two different garage/tire shops. I am pretty excited about finally getting into casting my own bullets, which means more shooting for less $.

I am sure I will be needing more advice soon. Thanks for your replies.

Echo
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Well - doubt if it will be 'less dollars' - more likely, much more shooting! After all, this IS an addiction!

sparky45
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Sarge, have you slugged your barrel yet? I am using cast for my Marlin 336 and I slugged the barrel at .309. Of course the Marlin has the Micro Grove rifled barrel. The boolits I have are .311(cast for a 32-20) and I plan to try them tomorrow.

williamwaco
01-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Many experts recommend bore diameter to .001 over.
I don't know where that rule originated but it really doesn't work for me.

I recomment .002 to .003 over bore diameter.

I use .311 in .30 cal, Not knowing your bore diameter, I would recommend you try .358 in your .38/357 Mag and .452 in your ACP.

Your 9mm might be a problem. My 9mm molds are already too small. I have two lee molds that drop .356 to .357. I have three 9mm's and all of them slug .3565. I use those bullets unsized. They work fine but I wish they were a little larger.

I am an old Scotsman. I believe in "try what you have" If it doesn't work, THEN buy something new.

MtGun44
01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I find for pistols, .001 over works fine. For rifles, not so often, usually start wit .002 or .003 over groove.

The only real diam limits are:

1) what will chamber
2) what the neck and brass thickness can release

Bill

Bret4207
01-10-2012, 07:28 AM
I didn't own a sizer for the first 15 or so years I shot cast. Other than some that were too small and pushed too fast I never had a big leading or accuracy issue. Fat boolits shot fine for what I wanted- plinking loads that gave 2" or so at 50ish yards. Some shot under an inch at 50ish, some were closer to 3-4" or even more at 100. When I finally did get the use of a sizer it was with older Lyman dies that cut the booilt. I wasn't happy and while I've learned a lot since then, I'm still not a huge fan of sizing unless I NEED to size.

Moonie
01-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Please slug the barrel of that 9mm, they can be all over the place and most find boolits for 38/357 with proper nose shape to work better as most 9mm's have rather generous barrel dimensions.

cbrick
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits sgtD,

Nothing in the world wrong with not sizing and it sounds like you have the 357 dialed in well. The 45 ACP is an easy to cast for cartridge and a great place for a new caster to get started, the 9mm not so much. It'll take a bit more experience and experimentation to work out the bugs, heed the advice on slugging the bore, as cast diameters and as large as will cycle and chamber.

Here is some excellent reading that I recommend to all new casters and the old salts alike.

From Ingot To Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone has them, even the old salts.

Rick

frkelly74
01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
sgtD, Once in a while it is easy, Enjoy it. Next time will probably make up for it.

theperfessor
01-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I found it a little more difficult to load cast in 9mm than in .45 or .38/.357. Once I found out that my HiPower liked .357/.358 bullets instead of .355/.356 things got a lot better. A recent posting by Mtgun44 about loading for 9mm is now a sticky in one of these sections. It's worth reading.

Welcome, have fun, it's addictive!

sgtD
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I have begun reading the Ingot to Target publication.

I will keep you posted as to my progress, or lack thereof. :-)