PDA

View Full Version : Have Mercy. Baby Blue Boolit Loob

DODGEM250
01-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I found an interesting product at the local A.C. Moore craft store yesterday while I was in there buying a new, larger wooden ball for my Lee press.

This is a first try, end result, of a wax candle coloring tablet concentrate (http://www.acmoore.com/popup.aspx?src=http://images.acmoore.com/productimages/207/207672.jpg). It comes in a small 2"x3" square and you're supposed to break off a chip and add it to your wax base and add additional color chips until you reach the color of blue you prefer.

I added 2 chips to the brew I had on the stove and it looked really dark blue in color when melted, but, when it cooled it turned out to be baby powder blue.

The concentrate is supposed to color a full 5 pounds, but, I don't see it happening. I have to assume that either the beeswax or crisco caused it to turn out powder blue.

In other news. I noticed that the A.C. Moore also sells a 1 pound block of beeswax based candle wax for $5.59. It comes in 4 squares, but, it is a 1 pound box of beeswax.

Ben
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't worry about the color, walk down to the target , it will tell you everything you want to know. Then check the bore, if is it clean, that would make your lube , a REAL GOOD color.

Ben

Hamish
01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Was there more than one color? That would be handy for coloring differing wax projects.

Have'nt bought from him in about 6 months, but randyrat is a vendor and sponsor here, and great to do business with!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=2594 (randyrat)

DODGEM250
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Don't worry about the color, walk down to the target , it will tell you everything you want to know. Then check the bore, if is it clean, that would make your lube , a REAL GOOD color.

Ben

I am in perfect understanding that the color of the lube is what increases the accuracy of the bullet. This is why I laugh at everyone here who spends all that time on this load and that load and this bullet weight and yadda yadda yadda. Those guys have much to learn about bullet accuracy. My next test is to add some apple cinnamon scent to the lube and see if that will increase my groups as well. I'm also considering adding blueberry scent to green lube, green apple scent to blue lube, cherry scent to yellow lube, you know... mix it up a little.

DODGEM250
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Was there more than one color? That would be handy for coloring differing wax projects.

Have'nt bought from him in about 6 months, but randyrat is a vendor and sponsor here, and great to do business with!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=2594 (randyrat)

Yep. They offered about 10 colors. Blue was my choice of course. I didn't see this concentrate product at the Michaels craft store, but, A.C. Moore had the colorant and beeswax. I bought the beeswax to try it, but, people give beeswax away around here by the pounds, no need to buy it here.

I just checked the AC Moore website and they offer about 15 different colors on their website: HERE (http://www.acmoore.com/search.aspx?categoryid=299&showall=false&phrase=&page=1)

mdi
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Yep, Apple/Cinnamon is more acurate than blueberry. Believe me, I done tests. During my color tests Red was by far the most accurate, closely followed by green (lime green) and then blue (light blue to baby blue). But your results may vary...

1Shirt
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Listen to what Ben says! Color means squat, targets mean reality.
1Shirt!:coffee:

fryboy
01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
so i admit .. i made my saeco green ummm red lolz ( ok ok that was two batches ago but .... the fond memory remains ) i have a special batch i've been wringing out so i thought i need a different color ..in the pan it's the deepest emerald blue ...in the stick/cake it's a undescribable shade of olive green ( gee not military drab green either ) in the groove it's a haunting ghostly luminescent shade of pale green but ... the main thing ? is so far it's working in everything i've tried it in ( and as stated ? that's what counts ) btw ? i call it "green goo" lolz , a lil dab of red when mixed with beeswax turns orange erm pale orange and my modified FWWFL is that pale orange ( i call it "ukki orange" but it too works and well !! )

DODGEM250
01-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Well, all kidding aside, I think a florescent orange lube would make an excellent color for hunting ammo. It only makes sense right ? I mean, the Deer can not see it and it does add to the required flo. orange regulations.

Second option is to just make the bands brown / green / black (camo) so the hunted game does not see the bullet coming...

fecmech
01-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I actually prefer more color contrast with the silver base metal. Here are some that I used for the Holiday shooting period.:kidding:

fryboy
01-09-2012, 11:47 PM
i think i recall a thread or comment about fluorescent/day glo colors and the end result was it didnt work too well ( something about them settling down or out IIRC ) granted some colors work better than others just as some different colored waxes react differently to added color ( white beeswax tho or plain paraffin is about best if you want easy to tint wax )

hey fecmech ? you saving them for next holiday season ? or having a half off after holidayz sale ? :P

cbrick
01-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Don't worry about the color, walk down to the target , it will tell you everything you want to know. Then check the bore, if is it clean, that would make your lube , a REAL GOOD color. Ben

Can't you think of any legit reason to add color to lube?

I use candle dye in some of my lubes simply to Identify the lube. I've made several different lubes and right along with notes of ingrediants is the color. When I take out a stick to fill the Star I know what I'm putting in it.

Rick