PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Trapper in .45 Colt

Catshooter
03-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I picked one up. Serial number is over six million. I haven't shot it yet as I was checking it out on my bench and discovered a problem.

When cycling dummies through the action I found that it will let a round jump out of the mag and under the lifter. Jam.

The rifle is NIB and looks very much to have never even been loaded let alone fired.

I see the little tit that restrains the next round in the mag from leaving the mag and it looks fine. It does it with Winchester, Remington or Star Line brass. I miked the rims of the six dummies I made up and it'll do it with the largest or smallest, doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Cat

lastmanout
03-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Used to be lots of info on the SASS (cowboy) websight about this problem. They only had a 60 day archive for old posts...so why not do a google search. Many of the old Cowboy shooters have websights to tune up the leverguns. Unfortunately Winchester quality was not a big concern of the company their last few years in New Haven. Brownells still has most parts for the 94AE, for now anyway. I think you may need a new magazine latch. Probably the timing is off also. Good luck.

NickSS
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I have had this happen with 94 winchesters and it usually happens when cycling the lever slowly. The little tit on the front of the swing down lever is what grabs the next cartridge and prevents it from exiting. This is long enough (unless that part has a manufacturing defect like a 357 mag one I had had. That part needed replacement. If you cycle the lever downward at slow speed it is possible for a rim to slip past before the tit is high enough to stop the shell. At least that is what I figured out. I have a 44 mag that did it onece or twice and it was always when I opened the lever slowly. At normal speed I never had a problem.

Catshooter
03-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

Cat

Poohgyrr
03-10-2007, 04:31 PM
My .357 Trapper used to do that often when I first got it. The .357 M94 cartridge stop has an issue that apparently was never really corrected by the factory. I keep hearing that some guns have problems and others don't. Mine was "fixed" locally, and now still does it occasionally. The other Trappers (30-30 and .44 magnum) we've had over the years were all great, with no problems.

My tuned (Steve's Gunz) 16" EMF M92 is basically flawless and perfect.

From what I hear, this Win problem is similar to the Marlin jam issue, and Rossi's issues. Some guns have trouble and some don't.

Catshooter
03-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Poohgyrr,

I recall that rifle of yours - .44 special, wasn't it? Can you hook me up with your 'smith please?

Cat

Poohgyrr
03-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Catshooter,

Yup. Steve Young at http://www.stevesgunz.com/

Steve Young
4525 Alamosa St.
Port Arthur, TX 77642
(409) 984-5473

steve@stevesgunz.com

He's good on email. I've phoned him twice and he was good about that too.

Catshooter
03-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks man.

Cat

ELFEGO BACA
03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I and another fellow cowboy shooter had winchester 94s in 44 mag. We solved the problem by buying Marlin 1894s.

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
nicks got the best answer RUN IT HARD. Ive had marlins do the same thing. Especially in 45 colt as they dont have a ton of rim.

Old Ironsights
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
That's what happens when you try to make a gun designed for 2" rifle cartridges eat pistol-length rounds.

The 94 just tried to do too many things. Never understood what was so wrong with the 92 that they had to start making 94s in pistol calibers...

Poohgyrr
03-19-2007, 03:48 PM
They never should have stopped making M92s.