PDA

View Full Version : colt c&b crowns?

luna butte
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
i traded for a 1860 colt army and got to looking at it and it looks as though it came from the factory without any kind of crown put on the barrel. simply cut off at the desired length. after doing a google search it seems that at least some if not all pietta replicas came this way.

so my question for you all that are in the know is, how much if any improvement would i see in the guns accuracy if i had the barrel crowned?

oh yea, Ilwil i am loveing this gun! thanks

Casting Timmy
01-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I haven't shoot those old revolvers like that before, but I can tell you that all my hand guns are more accurate than I am.

I really don't worry too much about improving my hand guns for accuracy, unless I have trouble shooting them. Trigger doesn't feel right or the grips don't fit my hands etc.

So I don;t know if I would worry about it too much, unless it's shooting all over the place or the front of the barrel looks damaged.

Ragnarok
01-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes..that's normal. Unless there is a burr or something I wouldn't worry about it.

luna butte
01-10-2012, 08:44 PM
cool thanks, it just kinda seemed weird but i think i will leave it alone for a while.

Mk42gunner
01-12-2012, 02:10 AM
I have severasl Colt Navy clones, both 1851 and 61, an ASM Wlaker, an 1860 and a couple of 1849's. None of them have a crowned barrel that I can remember without checking. They shoot pretty good, but they travel to the range in pistol cases.

If I were to carry one daily, I think I would go ahead and at least break the rifling at the muzzle, but for just range shooting the flat muzzle works okay.

Robert

luna butte
01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
i do plan on packing this pistol when i am out riding fences and checking/gathering cattle as it seems that quite often i have had coyotes parrallel me at about 35-50 yards

this gun shoots pretty well at 25paces, shooting about a foot high and only slightly left of my point of aim.

i am gonna try it out at 50paces and go from there. thanks

StrawHat
01-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Shooting high is a common "problem" with the C&B revolvers. A higher front sight can correct it but so can holding off.