PDA

View Full Version : Savage Lightweight Hunter

StrawHat
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
I am not in the market for a new rifle BUT the Savage Lightweight Hunter is certainly calling out to me. A 5.5 pound 308 or a 6 pound 30-06 would seem to be ideal for many hunters. Even though they are smallbores, they appear to be well maded and with the Savage barrel nut, it would be easy to change them to a 35 or 40 caliber wildcat. This may need some further consideration.

Anyone on the forum handled or own one?

GabbyM
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
They are nice looking rifles.

I'd think the 308 Win could provide all the recoil one would care to endure in a light rifle.

They are priced barely under a Win M70 Featherweight and above a Tikka T3 light.

You may have a problem staying with the same barrel profile in a 35 or 40 bore. I flat don’t' think it would work. The standard Savage sporter weight profile is pretty thin already.

atr
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I have a savage 99C in .308W, which is pretty light and after firing at the range my shoulder knows all about recoil !

lead chucker
01-17-2012, 02:30 AM
I really like the look of the savage but I also liked the ruger compact the ruger was cheaper. I bought the ruger and I love it it shoots awesome and small and light weight it's in 308. It's like packing a 22 rifle but with a big punch. No regrets. I still would like to have the savage but then I would like to have one of every thing.

StrawHat
01-17-2012, 07:23 AM
More and more I am warming up to the Savage. The idea of easily interchangeable barrels is what drives me towards it. One rifle, one parent case and a variety of barrels to handle hunting conditions. A 6.5mm and 40 caliber would cover my needs.