PDA

View Full Version : My 11 year old daughter is the son I don't have...

mpbarry1
01-09-2012, 12:56 AM
This is Kylie. Loves to shoot, is my automatic case feeder for the Dillon, and absolutly loves to reload. Her favorite shows are How Its Made, and Dirty Jobs ...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_185834f0a730c8025c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3362)

I am pretty careful bringing her along and yes she washes her hands after every session. lol. Tonight (as every time I prime shells) she asked if she could do it. I let let her, and every shell was perfect. Her big brother would not have done half as well. :-)

Ford SD
01-09-2012, 01:19 AM
I hope my kids one day help me more

My daughter wanted to watch me do some wood working in the garage and help clean up with the shop vac

Found her some old safety glasses (had to use the heat gun to bend the arms so they would stay on)
and pair if adjustable ear muffs.

Till it got boring

Maybe one day !!!:Fire:

looseprojectile
01-09-2012, 01:24 AM
My daughter has been mad at me since I sold what she thought was her Daewoo K2. Never has got over that one. Will not accept any substitutes.
Course that was over twenty years ago.
Girls that know how to shoot get lots more respect.
Both of my boys shoot and love guns. Daughters in law, not so much.
Enjoy the time you have with her.

Life is good

crappiejig
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
My 13 year old daughter is becoming quite the gunlover herself. Already a sharpshooter with the 22 she got for Christmas.Saturday we spent most of the morning on her first squirrel hunt which went well.Brought home 3 treerats!

sljacob
01-09-2012, 08:55 AM
my 9 year old daughter is my realoading/casting/shooting partner. It is a great way to get to spend a little father darghter time together.
This weedend I showed her how to lube and size some .45 long colt boolits from a new noe mold, she did a great job with very little coaching from me.
And I also impress the need to wash our hands after handling lead.

wiljen
01-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Way to go there Huck, let Tom paint that fence for you ;)

My daughter is my helper too, but I think she is starting to catch on to the fact that things like case trimming etc are not really the fun part.

MT Gianni
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Will, wasn't it Tom that let Huck paint? Maybe it was the rest of the boys and Huck was to smart to paint, if so I need him as a mentor.

btroj
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
My daughter used to really enjoy helping with that stuff. Somewhere between 11 and 18 she grew up and became more of a girl. Not so much a girl but an independent person with her own ideas of what was enjoyable and she no longer helps much. She does go shooting at times but no more hunting either.

I miss the help and all but also know she has to lie her own life. She does want a 357 revolver for graduation so the desire to shoot is still there, the time isn't.

Enjoy these days while you can, it generally doesn't last forever.

mpbarry1
01-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Some day when I have more time it would be cool to have a member rabbit hunt father -daughter style.

Ickisrulz
01-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Will, wasn't it Tom that let Huck paint? Maybe it was the rest of the boys and Huck was to smart to paint, if so I need him as a mentor.

No, Huckleberry Finn would have never been tricked into painting the fence for Tom. It was other neighborhood boys that paid to do the work.

woody1
01-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Some day when I have more time it would be cool to have a member rabbit hunt father -daughter style.

Best take the time now. Time has a way of getting away from us. Regards, Woody

Reload3006
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
all the good lord gave me was boys and he took my eldest back a few years back. Love them and cherish them with all you have I would just as your are be just as proud of my little girl as I was of my sons. Time spent with them in any manner is time well spent. And remembered Cherish it while you have it.

shooterg
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
If you're lucky you get another go-round with grandkids . My daughter would shoot all the time until about age 14, then boys and clothes became her main interests. But the 1 year old grandson is coming on, and her old Chipmunk is waiting for him !

wiljen
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM

I do believe you are correct. Sometimes my lysdexia gets the better of me.

Tom-ADC
01-09-2012, 03:22 PM
My youngest who is now 42 was quite a tomboy when she was growing up, kid was a natural athlete loved to fish and shoot still does, great softball, basketball & volleyball in high school letted in all three, she was tiny barely 5 foot but what she lacked in size she made up for in talent. Took me a while to convince her she wasn't a home run hitter but with her great speed if she put the ball in play she was on.
She now lives in MS has around 20 acres she hunts, turned into a country girl for sure.

Jailer
01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
My girl could care less about my shooting hobby. She likes to try it once in a while but gets bored real quick.

Now my 11 year old nephew is another story. My sister says all the time that he should have been my kid since we have so much in common.

Tom-ADC
01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
My oldest loves to shoot, she used to take my M1 carbine put a 30 round mag one in each back pocket and one in the gun, blast away and then reload the mags and have it again.
She isn't a bad skeet shooter either, took great joy in beating her son at skeet, she always shot my 20 ga O/U.

Tom-ADC
01-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Funny story, oldest was maybe 12-13 and shooting a friends Auto Ordnance semi auto Thompson when one of the empties flipped around and landed in her training bra she almost dropped the Thompson.:bigsmyl2:

firefly1957
01-09-2012, 09:26 PM
That is the only way we will keep our gun rights is when the next generations see it has value so thank you for your service to all gun owners.

DLCTEX
01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
My two DIL hunt and shoot as well as my boys. Son, Blackrifleshooter met his wife through a gun related website. My best friend's daughter is 18 and wanted a shotgun for her birthday. She got a buck and two does the other day.

Moonie
01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I have 8 children, 5 girls and 3 boys 2 of the girls and all 3 of the boys are grown, the boys shoot often, with me. The oldest girl used to help me reload but has no interest in it any longer. Other grown daughter enjoys going with us to the range. Of the last 3 at home only the 13 year old daughter has any interest, she wants her own 30-06. The youngest 2 don't have much interest, they have tried, and the 11 year old did shoot the last time we were at the range (her first time shooting), the 9 year old, well, it was just too loud for her. Perhaps one day.

to Reload3006, no parent should bury a child, I cannot imagine the pain, I'm truly sorry for your loss, more than words can express.

jmsj
01-10-2012, 12:30 AM
mpbarry1,
Your daughter and mine sound like two peas in a pod. They are the same age and even like the same TV shows.
Currently my daughter is mad at me. This past weekend we started our 5 day cow elk hunt, she and my son went on the weekend days but I made the kids go back to school Monday. We got one today and she said that I should had let her miss school and come today. Maybe some predator calling will tide her over till Turkey season.
She sometimes helps me reload and shooting is a family activity. I hope we will always share these things.
Good luck, jmsj

Harter66
01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
My oldest girl hunted w me for 5 seasons . She killed a deer and 1 season more ducks than me. I found out after the fact she even skipped a team post season pizza feed to go hunting w/ me. The only thing that came close to hunting and shooting was when she made the Varsity football team. She joined the USN,she's a gunners mate.

My younger daughter is a shooter,never did take to hunting. She's the artist and would fiddle w/the autopsy for hours, she wanted to actually see how it was all hooked together and moved. So that worked out too.

None of them have ever taken to loading or casting although there were rainy days spent all together preping bagging and sometimes loading.

Treasure the days they will be gone too soon........

Ronbo256
01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't have any children of my own, just my Ex's that have "adopted" me as Daddy, but they don't have the shooting gene, and they are all grown up now. Enjoy the time with your children, they grow up so fast.

DLCTEX
01-10-2012, 07:37 PM
They do grow up fast, but now I have grandchildren and even two great grandchildren. Hunters on the horizon.

KYCaster
01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
So your children can continue to enjoy your hobby with you please insist that they wear safety glasses while shooting, casting and reloading.

Jerry

mpbarry1
01-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Very true KYcaster. I should have had her wearing safety glasses! Thank for pointing that out. I will get her some on my way home today! Dooh!