PDA

View Full Version : I've got about 18lbs of copper bullet jackets that I want to offer to a recycler.

Ole
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I was going to just toss them, but I decided to spend some time and effort cleaning them up in an effort to get some scrap value out of them. What's the best way to approach this?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/IMG_5576.jpg

"Hi. I melted the lead out of these recovered bullets and would like to know if you're interested in buying these jackets as scrap copper" Something like that?

tomme boy
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
First thing to do is take a magnet to all of it to get the steel jackets out of it. After that I tumble them in old walnut media. Then take them to get $

Jailer
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Yours are a lot cleaner than mine were and I got $2.40/lb at my local scrapper.

Just take em in and tell them what they are. You'll probably get #2 copper price if they take them. Not all scrappers will so if they don't check around for one that will.

evan price
01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I tell them it's #2 copper. ("Hi, I've got some #2 copper.") If they ask what they are, tell them. Let them tell you what they are. I've (once) gotten Copper Turnings price for it, but usually it's #2 copper, the same as burnt wire or plumbing parts with some solder still on them. Either way it's over $2 a pound.

Big +1 to using a magnet to remove the steel ones. An old speaker magnet works great. Dump it on a work surface in a single-layer, run the magnet through them a few times, pick off steelies and throw that away. Otherwise if the recyclers find steel in there they won't be so happy to buy them.

shooter1059
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
What a great idea! Might as well make a little extra money on something you can't use any way.