PDA

View Full Version : Shims for the Lee case trimmers?

geargnasher
01-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I'd like to lengthen the minimum trim length in a couple of calibers, but making tiny washers out of shim stock is a pain. Any ideas on where to find really tiny washers?

Gear

flashhole
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
You can buy custom length gages from LEE for cheap.

rtracy2001
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
As far as small washers go, McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) may be a source, but unless I am missing something, I don't see how small washers will help. As I understand it, the Lee case trimmers rely on the small pin passing through the flash hole and bottoming on the shelholder stud, so a waher in the shellholder would make the case shorter. I immagine you could try to get a washer to place between the length stud and the cutter, but once you find one with the correct ID, you would still have to machine down the OD to match the stud, and that would be a royal pain.

Another method may be to drill and tap the lock stud for a small (#6 or #8) setscrew. The setscrew could then be adjusted to protrude slightly into the primer pocket of the case thus lengthening the minimum trim length. A cross drilled setscrew could be used to lock the adjustment.

Mk42gunner
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Get a longer lock stud in the same caliber and trim it to the length you want????

Robert

hk33ka1
01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Lee will make you a longer one.

Or I saw a guy on youtube take a worn one that was cutting short and peen? the end with a punch and hammer to make it a hair longer.

The problem with normal washers is the hole in the middle that the gauge pin will pass through.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Custom-Case-Length-Gauge.html

mooman76
01-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Don't know what caliber you are working with but maybe another one in the same caliber(diameter) that is a little longer and shortening the pin by grinding it down some. As in you want to make a 38 a hair longer so take a 357 pin and grind a little off the tip until it is the right length.

zuke
01-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Try peening/hammering the area around the thread

geargnasher
01-09-2012, 02:16 AM
See? That's why I asked! I didn't know Lee made custom ones, it didn't occur to me to grind down a longer, same-caliber gauge, and peening the part that seats against the cutter never crossed my mind either. Thanks for the tips!

Gear

Hang Fire
01-09-2012, 03:16 AM
Maybe I am off base here, but. Could take a fired case placed on a solid flat surface then use a decapping pin and tap on it to flatten the fired primer anvil, leave primmer in place, then trim. Or would that leave the cases trimmed too long?

John J
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
take your lock stud and drill and tap it 10-32...install a setscrew and then you can adjust the length of your case......screwing it in will push up on the trimmer pin and will make your case longer.

hope this helps

John J

DLCTEX
01-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Buckshot will make you a custom one cheaper than Lee. He made me one for 257 Wby., which Lee doesn't make. He reduced the size of the stem below the neck area and it is much easier to insert into a sized case.