PDA

View Full Version : 336RC value

pumpguy
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I stopped by a pawn shop yesterday. They had a 336RC in 30;30. The buttstock was cracked and loose, but, there were no pieces missing and I think it would be a pretty easy fix. Also, the bolt was missing a little piece right behind the face. Finish was not great, but, I would probably have it re blued and the action was pretty tight. What really drew me to the gun was that it was not a micro groove barrel and the rifling and the barrel looked good. They only wanted $150.00 for the gun. First question is what would have caused the problem with the bolt? Second question is given that I can get a new bolt for about $50 is the gun worth $150.00? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scrounger
03-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I stopped by a pawn shop yesterday. They had a 336RC in 30;30. The buttstock was cracked and loose, but, there were no pieces missing and I think it would be a pretty easy fix. Also, the bolt was missing a little piece right behind the face. Finish was not great, but, I would probably have it re blued and the action was pretty tight. What really drew me to the gun was that it was not a micro groove barrel and the rifling and the barrel looked good. They only wanted $150.00 for the gun. First question is what would have caused the problem with the bolt? Second question is given that I can get a new bolt for about $50 is the gun worth $150.00? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Never, never pay the asking price in a pawnshop. Point out the flaws and offer him $100 out the door.

JSH
03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
As pointed out above, don't go the tag price. Beat them up, insult them a bit, but do it with a smile on your face.
I didn't give much more than that for one in 90% last year so ya know.
Ask them why they want so much for a $75 rifle. What ever you do, don't act like you got a deal or they did you a favor of any kind.
I always give the excuse that I want an old truck gun, or one to keep in the barn.
Jeff

26Charlie
03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I would only buy a gun with broken bolt & stock if I were going to send it back to Marlin for repair & parts replacement. I have indeed sent them two guns for repair, and had very satisfactory service. Factor that into the negotiations - Also, 336 .30-30s are not so rare that you can't wait for the next one to come along.

pumpguy
03-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Well I went and bought the gun. Had to go $125.00. It was made in 1948 and has Ballard cut rifling. I am still curious if anyone has any ideas what would cause the bolt to break. I may not have much here, but I am not out much and I love a good project. Might have to have Marlin take a look at it. Does any one know of they would do a reblue job?

crazy mark
03-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Can you post pictures. It's hard to tell from just a description. Could be a number of things. Mark

pumpguy
03-10-2007, 01:31 AM
I have never put a picture on this forum. I will try to post some pix tomorrow. Thanks

pumpguy
03-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I think I got pretty luck here. I took the stock off and repaired the crack. This tightened the stock up perfectly. I also took the mechanism clear apart. The bolt was fine. Like the rest of the gun, it was just dirty. Looks like it was cleaned and oiled about 30 years ago. The oil was thick and sticky. The barrell was hardly even dirty and only had a small amount of copper fouling. I cleaned everything, oiled it up and put it back together. It is smooth as silk and after some clean up on the stock, looks like a great old gun. I just have to find the time to go shoot it now. It sholud be a good shooter as the barrell looks like new!! Not bad for $125.00.

Nueces
03-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm with you. It just seems that an old, cheap wreck that you resurrect yourself gains value out of all proportion to the intrinsics. It picks up a sense of a history, a back story, and, if it shoots, Man, you have an old favorite that you've owned just a short time.

Who's sentimental!? :drinks:

Mark

pumpguy
03-12-2007, 10:47 PM
My thoughts exactly, Nueces. It is kind of fun just having an old workhorse around.

Troggy92
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
First off this is my first time here, looks like a nice place. I have read a few threads and it looks like some good folks here.

Well I payed much more for my 336RC .35rem @ $300 OTD. worth every penny(to me) as it shoots like a lazer and helped me take 2 hogs the 1st time out. I put Federal 200gr RN in it and it will shot 3 shots at .75" every time with a cold bbl. I live in Hell ...errrr... Califonia, so prices can be a bit higher here than other states.

pumpguy
04-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Welcome aboard Troggy. I think you are going to like it here. Lots of knowlegable nice guys here. I would like to have your 35 cal. I hope to get one someday.