PDA

View Full Version : BIG BORE, anyone?

snglstack
01-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Hope I'm in the right place here...Wheelguns, pistols, and hand cannons. Let's see here...my 2 1/4" Napoleon and .75 Parrott are both wheeled, as is the .50 Napoleon. Does that make em wheel guns? The littler ones (.58, .45 and those cheapo Indian firecracker cannons) COULD be hand held but I won't do it. And there's the one inch seacoast defense gun, dubbed "Flipper" by the kids due to its recoiling clean over the pickup the first time we fired it...reduced the load considerable after that. And I cast balls for all of these, using salmon sinker molds for the one inch and 2 and a quarter. I have a bucket full of one pound, lead 1.68 (golf ball size) round balls for when I find the cannon in that bore diameter. So, my question, any other BIG BORE shooters out there?

fishhawk
01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
2'' on a naval carriage count? steve k

snglstack
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Heck, yeah...cannon grade or 1F BP. I tried to chronograph my 2 1/4" but, same thing ahppened as when we chronoed the first golf ball gun...had ta go out and buy a new chronograph. We did get that golf ball going 1400fps before it stopped on the sixth sheet of 5/8" plywood. And before we blew the chrono to smitthereens...

aarolar
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen...

:popcorn:

snglstack
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Decades ago...I don't know if anyone even thought of taking pictures. I'll ask if anyone took any and still has them. Imagine, if you will, some shooting club friends getting together for a birthday party, with helium balloons and BB guns, (no booze) and the host pulls out of his garage on his lawnmower towing a golf ball gun. Some well known shooters were there, but I can't give their names here, I don't think. Confidentiality, and all. Had a ball experimenting with loads for range, penetration, and velocity. Not to mention different types of golf balls. Some would hook bad after fifty yards or so, some kinda corkscrewsed. That was the second Shooting Chrony sacrificed in the name of furthering knowledge (first one got plugged by a novice) in that club. This later evolved into the Napoleons and a short run of shoots outside Missoula on Independence Day. Saw some great shots made there, though I confess I haven't tried to chrono a cannon again

saz
01-09-2012, 01:43 AM
How bout a 105mm howitzer?

I have been on an old 8" (203mm) before. 200lb projectile with incredible accurady!

missionary5155
01-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Good morning
Biggest tube sitting up in the state of ILL. is a 1.1" on a crude naval carrage.
Largest I have ever touched off is the M68 105mm main gun on the M60A1 MBT. Now that was one nice direct fire rifle. After everyone was about through at tank range I would carefully line up on 2x4´s at 1200 meters and could consistently cut them off with inert "heat"(blue) rounds. All ya had to do was learn how to get the slack out of the opticle system and do the final lay with the manual elevator using the handle´s top mounted firing switch to set it off. Ride the recoil with eye glued to the primary sight and watch the 2x4 get punched. The goal was to leave it clean cut with a perfect half moon.
Mike in Peru Armor 71-74

David LaPell
01-09-2012, 06:30 AM
I like to carry my artillery. A .577 caliber 1853 Enfield Musketoon with a doe from the 2010 season. One shot, one kill from offhand at about 100 yards.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/muzzledeer2.jpg

NickSS
01-09-2012, 07:26 AM
I currently own a .50 cal 10 pound parrot rifle and a 69 cal model 1841 48 pounder naval gun. These are much smaller than my full sized 6 pounder revolutionary war field gun I owned a lot of years ago. The biggest gun I ever fired was a Napoleon gun howitzer made in 1863. It rang like a bell when fired. With my 6 pounder I used to shoot 3 inch lead cannon balls with blasting powder at ranges up to 1200 yards. Once I got the elevation right I could riddle 55 gallon drums with 3 inch holes but I would occupationally get one that bouced off the ground ant took down a pine tree behind my backstop. At 200 yards with an alpo dog food can full of 69 cal round balls it made for very perforated row of 55 gallon drums. Oh for the good old days when I could buy blasting powder for about a buck a pound and $25 would make for a days shooting. with my 1200 pound pea shooter.

snglstack
01-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Boy, howdy...and lead was a nickel a pound

Alan
01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I think we should get a letter campaign going to Uberti to come out with a .577 Webly C&B revolver repro. 8)