PDA

View Full Version : PTL boolits?

singleshot
01-08-2012, 03:50 PM
It seems I've ran across this before, but multiple searches didn't yield the appropriate results.

So here's the question(s):

For anybody that pan lubes tumble-lube boolits, what lube do you use? What are your results?

I've been lubing with Alox and 45-45-10, and was wondering if some of my rifle loads would be more accurate with a different lube. I've heard of folks getting sub-MOA accuracy and none of my load development has produced such results.

Thanks in advance for hard facts. Speculation is ok too. :-P

geargnasher
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
It's tough to pan lube TL boolits, but you can smear regular lube on them with your fingers if you warm the lube to soften it. Imagine creamy peanut butter consistency for the lube. Messy but effective. You can also lube them in a regular lube-sizer.

You don't say what you're shooting or what boolit you're using, but if you aren't happy with 45/45/10 them maybe you should try a conventional boolit and lube to see if lube is even your issue.

Gear

singleshot
01-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Good point, Gearnasher!

I'm casting for .312 size 30 cal rifle. Russian 30 cal is my main concern. Alox and 45-45-10 works great for everything else!

singleshot
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
It's tough to pan lube TL boolits, but you can smear regular lube on them with your fingers if you warm the lube to soften it. Imagine creamy peanut butter consistency for the lube. Messy but effective. You can also lube them in a regular lube-sizer.

You don't say what you're shooting or what boolit you're using, but if you aren't happy with 45/45/10 them maybe you should try a conventional boolit and lube to see if lube is even your issue.

Gear

The main boolit I'm trying to improve is the RD 30 cal tumble lube boolit in a russian bore. At 1600fps I have good results. If I try to bump up the performance, I get varied accuracy results. I should be gettting the best results from H4198, but H4227 is yielding the best accuracy.

noylj
01-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Maybe your rifle is NOT capable of 1 MOA accuracy? It certainly wouldn't be the first. How's the bore? Have you slugged the bore? Are there any tight spots?
If you aren't getting a lot of leading, I wouldn't be "mad" at the lube yet.

GLynn41
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
When I first read PTL -- I thought you ment praise the Lord Boolits :)

leadman
01-13-2012, 08:34 PM
White Label BAC works great for individually lubing boolits as it is a soft lube. Veral Smith's (LBT) Blue Soft is also good for this. It can be made into a tumble lube also.
I use LBT Blue Soft for full power loads in the 30-06, 22 K-Hornet and 223.

singleshot
01-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Maybe your rifle is NOT capable of 1 MOA accuracy? It certainly wouldn't be the first. How's the bore? Have you slugged the bore? Are there any tight spots?
If you aren't getting a lot of leading, I wouldn't be "mad" at the lube yet.

Maybe. I'd like to get the same accuracy out of my boolits as I get with .312 J-words out of it.

One strange thing, the boolits print 8" right at 200 yards, the j-words print 8" left at 200 yards. I don't have a fine enough adjustment on my red-dot scout scope to put either dead-on at this range.

What would cause the j-words to print 16" left of the boolits? I was thinking the lube, but maybe not.