PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block Help...

jeff_jones_86004
01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I picked up this rolling block for cheap and was wondering about parts, loads, shooting, etc. Missing a rear sight and a screw and possibly the saddle ring.

What's it worth and can I shoot it.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/jeff_jones_86004/CIMG4066.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/jeff_jones_86004/CIMG4065.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/jeff_jones_86004/CIMG4064.jpg

GRUMPA
01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm no authority on this but I had the same issue with one I have right now, check this link. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131876&highlight=GRUMPA

Also this is a link for the ammo for this rifle, don't get confused they came in more than 1 size this is just for MY rifle.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138818

atr
01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
try
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/index.html

they have part and knowledge

MtGun44
01-09-2012, 02:13 AM
What cartridge? Centerfire or rimfire? How is the bore?

Bill

NickSS
01-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Your rifle is a typical RB carbine and I have owned two of them one had been relined to 45-70 and the other was an original in 50 carbine. The crown on the barrel makes me think that yours is European and if so it is probably in some caliber that is not common over here. You will need to do a chamber cast to get on the track of what ammo it was made for.

Ed in North Texas
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
What cartridge? Centerfire or rimfire? How is the bore?

Bill

We'd likely know a lot more about the rifle if he had included a closeup of the right and left sides of the receiver and the upper tang. If centerfire, I think it is either a Danish 11.7x51R (as Grumpa posted), or Norwegian/Swedish 12.7x44R, Roller.

The Dane will have the left receiver flat stamped with a Crown over the royal cypher over the marks M-1867. The right receiver wall is generally bare and the upper tang is marked Kjobenhavns Toihuus and an 1800s date.

The Swede will be either Carl Gustaf (Crown over C mark) or Husqvarna ("H" mark) with both marks on the right receiver flat.

The Norwegians were associated with Sweden at the time, but had a separate army. They started with Swedish rollers, but went on developing different features for their rifles. The rifles built in Norway were Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk, (Crowned K); and arsenal rebuilds were done at Hovedarsenalet (Crowned A).

There also exists the possibility of Remington made rifles, as there were some made for both Sweden and Denmark (maybe :roll: ).

Don't know if that helps, or merely adds to the confusion. :-?

Ed

jeff_jones_86004
01-09-2012, 08:00 PM
After some work and measurements, looks like a 11.5x42(41.5) Carbine. Probably Danish.

Cut down some 45-70 to 1.63 inches and loaded a very light 360gr 45-70 bullet with 24 grains of 5744. Shot fine, Case expanded but did not split. Now I must locate a rear site amd possibly the missing screw for the saddle ring retainer.

Jeff

jeff_jones_86004
01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Had some questions about the expansion of the brass after i fired it using a 45-70 round cut down to Norwegian size

After slugging the barrel and taking a wax cast & based on some reference from Herb and more internet and library research(since everything on forums and the internet is always true fact), I have determined that I am a lucky man.

I have fired a light load 452 bullet through a .439 or .445 barrel!! (Glad I only did it once.)

Looks like the Rolling Block is a relatively rare Argentine Arsenal redo in a carbine sent here in the 60's. It is either a 43 Spanish or 44-77 cartridge which is the same brass, but different bullet size.

The slug with a .451 soft round ball from the barrel has 5 grooves so not an easy measure, but rolling it in the calibers , I get .445-446. By the way, a .440 ball barely etched.

Not sure what that makes the bore?

nitroproof
01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Jeff,

I 've been cleaning up my reloading bench this weekend and came across one .43 Spanish Bertrams case and (11) 345 grains - .446" diameter bullets.

My Rolling block has long since been relined to .45/70.

You are welcome the bullets & case.

Send me a PM

realfisher
01-15-2012, 11:45 PM
the missing sight screw more than likely is metric

leadman
01-17-2012, 12:08 AM
The hammer looks like the one in my Swedish RB with the firing pin retractor.

I have a 71 Mauser that uses a .446" boolit in the 43 Mauser cartridge.

How are you coming on getting the correct components?

jeff_jones_86004
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Now to get her together and shot it!!

I will check with 43 Spanish first and a fireform load with cream of Wheat or????. Then I will measure the case and size some bullets!

Jeff

oldremguy
01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Hello Jeff,

Here is a photo of a rifle that I have in my collection with the crown and RV stamped on the left side of the receiver instead of the top rear of the barrel.

Below is some email corresondence that I had with George Layman the auther of "The All New Collecttor's Guide to Remington Rolling Block Military Rifles of the World" about the markings on this gun.
Your new RB here is a nice one with very pronounced markings as I have a carbine at the end of my first book with the Crown and RV as yours. This stands for Recomposicion Vascongada meaning it was an overhauled rolling block of the Spanish Army that was from the original 95,000 from the last Spanish contract that were refurbished at Vascongada Arsenal, and rechambered to .43 Reformado, at least it should have been! The bubble like"flower" on the right chamber and the Fleur d Lis on the left chamber is the mark of the Ejercito Ultramar or the Spanish Colonial Overseas Army indicating it was issued in Cuba, or Puerto Rico or even in the Phillipines. Very nice rifle Matthew, and is the first Crown and RV I have seen on the left frame as it is usually on the left chamber area of the barrel.

Anyway the Reformado cartridge and the regular .43 Spaish are actually one of the same aside that the bullet diameter of the former varies from .444 to .450, and they didnt make a big deal out of it but i would have when squeezing a larger bullet down a smaller bore?? But they do work well and the only real difference is that the Reformado has a tapered straight case , and all you have to do is really just fire form your .43 Spanish bottleneck case and then it will blow out to the dimensions of the newer, reamed out chamber. if you wish, fire the new rifle and see if the case shows any significant change.A large number of the Remington made RBs that were rechambered however to .43 Reformado do not have the big R on the chamber as found on the Oviedo or Spanish made copies do when they had been rechambered in 1889 and later.The Remington made RBs have either the Crown RV OR FB stamped on the chamber which means Freire-Brulle, the two Spanish officers who developed the round.

Hope this helps some with the questions you have about your carbine.

Have a Good day,
Matt

oldremguy
01-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Had problem with photos loading, I am trying it again.

Hope this works.

Matt

jeff_jones_86004
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Helpful info.

I will take another chamber cast asap.

Jeff

Ecramer
01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
It's worth about $30 and its unsafe. You should send it to me <grin>

jeff_jones_86004
01-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Not sure what's she's worth but I sure want to have some fun with her first.

jeff_jones_86004
01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
After some generous friends on the forum and some more cash for Dies and brass, I went out and shot her. Only problem is front sight is low/worn so she shoots high. I wonder what to repalce with and whether a peep sight is worth it on a carbine?

-Jeff

Ed in North Texas
01-31-2012, 09:04 AM
After some generous friends on the forum and some more cash for Dies and brass, I went out and shot her. Only problem is front sight is low/worn so she shoots high. I wonder what to repalce with and whether a peep sight is worth it on a carbine?

-Jeff

Go with an aperture sight if you are going to change the rear sight. You may not need it now, but it will keep you shooting longer as you get older. At some point presbyopia gets us all and you will no longer be able to see the rear sight, front sight and target (which younger eyes allow us to do by being able to adjust focus rapidly from front to rear sights plus the target. Older eyes lose that elasticity and can't shift focus at near distances). The aperture rear sight eliminates the need to have a rear sight in focus.