PDA

View Full Version : Need input on a shotgun loader

gabe123
01-08-2012, 07:38 AM
I am wanting to buy a Ponsness Warren shotgun loader, specifically the duo matic single stage. I have only seen pictures of them on line, there are none around here to manhandle and get close up views of each station. Does anyone have this loader? I would like your opinion on the machine and the process. I have a 12 ga MEC Sizemaster that has been in service for about 25 years, I am looking to change to the Ponsness Warren because it can be set up for 12ga / 20ga on the same machine at the same time. Just getting into 20 ga and I don't want to buy 2 MECs.
Thanks in advance for the information.

cajun shooter
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Gabe123, I will say this about your posting. If you purchase the Ponsness Warren your supply list to purchase any parts or have service is going to be very small.
You may go into some back roads small gun shops and find MEC parts and machines.
I first loaded my very first shotgun shells on a Mec 700 Versamatic.
I have been using the same Mec Sizemaster that you have and it has loaded many a shell for me.
My opinion is that having two Mec's is the way to go.
I'm not talking down the Ponsness Warren by any means as I've read many good things about them. I lack any loading time with one so I can't comment on how good they are.
My answer is based on having a press that is easy to use and service and will last your lifetime with maybe the replacement of such small things as Bottles.

elk hunter
01-08-2012, 09:10 PM
gabe123,

I've been using Ponsness Warren loaders for nearly thirty years , and have two Duo-Matics, a Magno-Matic and an 800 B, If I have a choice I use nothing else. I've loaded on quite a few different brands of shotshell loaders over many years, and then sold or given them away, I'll take a PW every time. Granted the only place you can get parts is from PW, but if your luck with them is anything like mine, you'll never need any.

gabe123
01-09-2012, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

scar270
01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeas PW parts are not as readily available everywhere as MEC, but I don't find I've had much need for parts with my PW's.

I have both a 375 and an LS 1000. I love em both, I also have run single stage mecs and have a mec grabber. I find the reloading on the PW's a much faster and more pleasant experience.

wv109323
01-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I have owned a 375 for 30 + years. The only weakness to the machine is the threaded bushing that holds the plastic cone to insert a wad. That bushing and the internal threads in the arm that holds the wad can get stripped out. They have an exceptionally fine thread and both pieces are made of aluminum.
I had to replace the bushing and the piece of the arm that has the internal threads once.
I load for 12,16 and 20 gauge. The above bushing must be removed when a caliber change is made. The plastic cone that starts the wad into the shell is a different size between calibers.
The second thing if you load for several gauges you get some money tied up in powder and shot bushings. Also a seperate die is needed for different length hulls such as 12 gauge 2 3/4" vs. 3" vs.3 1/2".
Nice machine.
They are quite frequently on E-bay. You may want to look there for the initial investment of the press.

gabe123
01-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Allright, glad to hear positive feedback on this machine. I really wanted a premium machine and this sounds like itwill fill the bill. Thanks, Gabe

Reload3006
01-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Allright, glad to hear positive feedback on this machine. I really wanted a premium machine and this sounds like itwill fill the bill. Thanks, Gabe

I have MECs only because I am too cheap to shell out the big bucks for PW. They are IMO the best. you will not be sorry.