PDA

View Full Version : Encore/ Contender 45 Colt/410 question?

jh45gun
01-08-2012, 02:22 AM
I know when you shoot the 45 Colt round you take out the choke and I would assume the 410 slug rounds also but I would never shoot them anyway kinda redundant when you can shoot 45 colt. But what about the 410 buck shot loads do you take out the choke or shoot them with the choke in?

jh45gun
01-09-2012, 03:02 AM
No one here has a clue on this?

Mooseman
01-09-2012, 04:30 AM
I had 2 of those barrels many years ago. The choke was straight rifled to stop the shot from spinning from the rifling so it would hold a pattern instead of a wide dispersion blast of spinning pellets.Any Shot or buckshot would need to have the choke installed because of the rifling spin. Slugs and .45 bullets must not be fired thru the choke.

Rich

stubshaft
01-09-2012, 05:55 AM
I agree with Mooseman, use the choke with buckshot to eliminate doughnut patterns. The choke may distort the shot causing wider dispersion but at least there will be some coverage in the center. If you shoot a slug or boolit through the choke it will not ruin anything, at least on an Encore (don't ask how I know).

jh45gun
01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info. Like I said I would not shoot slugs anyway too redundant since you can shoot the 45 Colt which in my barrel at 25 yards is accurate enough I get good groups with it. I primarily use this barrel for shooting grouse with 7.5 shot but I was wondering about the buckshot loads just to see how they pattern.

fivegunner
01-11-2012, 06:23 AM
:hijack:I have two contenders with the short barrel`s , I
(I think they are 12 inches) in stainless steel. when I was younger I used them for hunting woodcock and Grouse. lot`of fun! (I use a o/u 28 gauge now) I also shoot Skeet with them . and you must use the choke with shotshells

canyon-ghost
01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I use the .410 barrel mainly for snakes. Tried 7&1/2 shot, and some #4s. Never took the choke out except to clean it. With the choke, it has it's share of recoil but, makes a dandy .410 for messing around old buildings.

I've seen 45 Colt shot in one, never saw the need myself.

jh45gun
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I use the .410 barrel mainly for snakes. Tried 7&1/2 shot, and some #4s. Never took the choke out except to clean it. With the choke, it has it's share of recoil but, makes a dandy .410 for messing around old buildings.

I've seen 45 Colt shot in one, never saw the need myself.

Well I guess you can say the need is you need it chambered for it to make it legal. My self when I shoot 45's I shoot my Uberti Cattleman but it is nice to have that feature anyway to be able to shoot both.

Five Gunner the barrel I bought was the 12 inch one also I wanted it more compact.

The factory sights on these barrels with the shotgun bead front sight and the little notched rear sight are useless at least it was on my barrel did not shoot even close to point of aim shot HIGH. So I bought a pair of fiber optic Williams Slugger sights which are very reasonable in price about 30 dollars and installed them. Now the shot and the 45 loads shoot POI.