PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this lot and already worked up loads?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Ok, I admit I'm lazy, but I also think there's value in NOT reinventing the wheel. In the recent group buy purchase I picked up two jugs of WC846 I plan on using to reload .223 and perhaps a few other calibers. I also think since this is my first serious excursion (loading up a lot of rounds once the load is worked up) into the surplus powders, I should be extremely cautious.

The lot number is 406313.

Has anyone already developed loads for this particular power and lot number, regardless of caliber? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

My primary planned use for this powder is in .223 Ar15 applications with J-word bullets, but secondary will be any milsurp caliber the powder is appropriate for.

Of course, I live in NE Georgia where the climate is pretty mild all year around, though summers tend to get fairly warm. Slightly humid, but not bad where I live.

Thank you,

Dave

Buckshot
03-05-2007, 04:08 AM
............Check Castpics for surplus data on the 223 and WC846. Nice powder! If you have a 35 Rem it's the cat's ass with 200 gr cast! Trying it in my small ring Mauser conversion, the more I put in the faster the boolits went and the tighter the groups got. A good combination. Finished up at 41.0grs with the boolit base sitting on the charge and 2300 fps shooting 1-1/4" or smaller groups at 50 yards (iron sights). Plenty whumpus :-)

...............Buckshot

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Buckshot,

Thanks for that information. I don't have a 35 Remington, but I'm reasonably sure I have a milsurp that may have similar ballistics. I'll check and compare. Where did you start your loads at?

BTW, I'd like to get up with you and talk about a Lee style sizing die. Would you be kind enough to PM me?

Regards,

Dave