PDA

View Full Version : What causes this issue?

aarolar
01-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I am having an issue with my glock distoying my brass and am curious where my issue lies, take a look and tell me what you think.

Compensated barrel with 22lb recoil spring
Loads are 10.0 grains PP over a 230grn j-word pushing 1250 fps
All brass has a similar look and this is what the FTE looked like I saw.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb287/aarolar/IMAG0143.jpg

I am thinking the recoil spring is too strong in combination with the comp because it also fails to lock back on the last round most of the time and failed to feed a round once or twice. I only have the one 22lb and the factory 17lb I may try it tomorrow but I don't want to beat the gun to death either...

Edited to add this is with Rowland brass and using Rowland load data I am not simply pushing standard ACP brass this hard.

MtGun44
01-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Not getting the case to the ejector smartly. Use a weaker recoil spring.

Also possible missing/damaged ejector.

Bill

aarolar
01-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Not getting the case to the ejector smartly. Use a weaker recoil spring.

Also possible missing/damaged ejector.

Bill

Ill check the ejector but it should be in good shape the gun has less than 200rds through it, I am betting money on it being too stiff of a recoil spring.

williamwaco
01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
22 pounds sounds way too strong to me. I'm not sure I could load it.

I know Squat about glocks. Listen to those who do.

aarolar
01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
22 pounds sounds way too strong to me. I'm not sure I could load it.

I know Squat about glocks. Listen to those who do.

22lbs was the recommended spring weight for shooting 45 Super level loads with no comp so it stands to reason it is too much for the Rowland loads with a comp. I was just being overly cautious.

KYCaster
01-08-2012, 01:29 AM
I'd back off on the powder charge a little bit. You're almost 25% above Alliant's recommended max. (I ***-u-me it's 45ACP)

Jerry

bobthenailer
01-08-2012, 03:02 PM
From my experince with compensated auto pistols you would use a lighter by a few pounds recoil spring than what is called for a stock non compensated pistol shooting the same weight bullet at the same velocity.
In my 2 compensated 1911s i use a 14 & 15 lb recoil spring for major type loads and 18 1/2 in a noncompensated 1911
and in 38 super 11 pound spring for major loads & 15 for noncompensated

KYCaster
01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
22lbs was the recommended spring weight for shooting 45 Super level loads with no comp so it stands to reason it is too much for the Rowland loads with a comp. I was just being overly cautious.

OK disregard my previous post.

That's what I get for assuming. :coffee:

Jerry

subsonic
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes as stated above: The comp and weight of it slow down the slide and retard the lockup of the slide and barrel. Probably ditch the comp (temporarily to test) or reduce the recoil spring. Also, the length and shape of the ejector can be a factor. Glock has a few different ones in factory guns of other calibers and generations that will drop in for next to no cash. An old trick was to heat up the longest one and smash it to make it even longer. There used to be an old GSSF article called "Dremeling the Glock" that covered DIY tuning.

Case length also affects the arc that the brass makes coming out the port. Not much you can do about that though, other than adjust for it.

subsonic
01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/45118199/download?commit=Download+Now&secret_password=

There's a copy of that article.

aarolar
01-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes as stated above: The comp and weight of it slow down the slide and retard the lockup of the slide and barrel. Probably ditch the comp (temporarily to test) or reduce the recoil spring. Also, the length and shape of the ejector can be a factor. Glock has a few different ones in factory guns of other calibers and generations that will drop in for next to no cash. An old trick was to heat up the longest one and smash it to make it even longer. There used to be an old GSSF article called "Dremeling the Glock" that covered DIY tuning.

Case length also affects the arc that the brass makes coming out the port. Not much you can do about that though, other than adjust for it.

Im familiar with this that's the whole point in adding the comp to keep the gun from tearing iteslf apart with the Rowland level loads I just need to tune the spring to the strongest I can still get reliability with. It's going to be tricky because the harder I push it the more effective the comp becomes and the lighter the spring need to be. I went ahead and put the factory spring back in tonight but I won't get to test it out till this weekend at the soonest.

aarolar
01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/45118199/download?commit=Download+Now&secret_password=

There's a copy of that article.

Very interesting read.