PDA

View Full Version : Finally gave lube making a whirl...oh fun!

DaveCampbell
01-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Well I finally gave lube making a whirl today. Making it up wasn't a problem, but trying to pour it into hollow tubes turned out to be...ummm...challenging. So I thought I'd check in with the experts.

Do any of you Boolit Gents pour your lube into hollow sticks? If so, how do you remove the sticks from the mold?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

ph4570
01-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Put the molds in the freezer for at least 45 minutes. Then you should be able to pop them out with a wooden dowel and a tap with a mallet.

What did you use for molds? I use PVC and the aforementioned method works fine.

Reg
01-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Lots of ways to make the molds, plastic - metal, all will work but the one trick I have found that helps with the release of the finished item is to cut a piece of wax paper the length of the mold and long enough to make several wraps around. Kind of roll it up and drop it into the mold before pouring then let the lube set up good before pushing it out.
Have had no sticking problems at all and the lube comes out nicely wrapped in a easy to remove wax paper jacket. Keeps the lube cleaner and much nicer to handle.

[smilie=s:

geargnasher
01-08-2012, 12:19 AM
There have been a few good threads on it in recent memory, might find them on a search. I must ask, though, why? I find it so much easier to make lube muffins and melt them on a candle warmer or nuke them in a microwave (very carefully, low setting) in a Pyrex measuring cup and pour it directly into the sizer reservoir. Member Ben made a dipper out of some scrap copper pipe to ladle lube into his reservoirs, less mess potential.

Gear

DaveCampbell
01-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Good stuff guys, thanks! I figured it would be a simple solution.

Gearnasher, I considered pouring directly into my lubrisizer, but I don't want to have to wait for it to cool down.