PDA

View Full Version : TL 401 175 swc help

randyrat
03-04-2007, 01:18 PM
This is my second mold from Lee TL401 175 swc for my XD40. The first one was way out of round and over sized. I cast some last night and they are too large also(.405) is this normal No way will they chamber. I got a feeling i'm gonna have to size this bullet no matter what mold i have. I did notice after the mold and the pot got hotter the bullets started comming out nice an round, still too big, but nice. I looked at the mold halves with a mangnifing glass and i can't see anything such as; burrs,too much lube, there's no mold lines were the two halves come together. Is it the "luck of the draw" to get a mold to mold .401 bullets? Am i asking too much from a mold maker.

Sundogg1911
03-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I have 2 of the 175 SWC .401's. (not the TL one) they are fine. Both seem to drop slightly larger, but not too large to make trhem tough to size. What alloy are you using?

randyrat
03-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm using wws and some 60/40. Possibly too hard? I could change my alloy to a different batch and try again.

Bret4207
03-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Not trying to be a wiseguy here, but have you checked your measuring instrument, mic or whatever, against a standard to make sure it's accurate? If so, I'd list that mould as someone is surely looking for a mould throwing "fat" boolits. Or send it back to Lee and ask for a replacement.

Yes, higher lead content will throw a smaller booilt.

44man
03-05-2007, 09:14 AM
It's a little strange to read about a mold that is a little oversize. Most complain about them being too small and I'm included in that.
I would experiment with sizing just enough so they chamber which might be .402 or .403. Yeah, you might have to make up a few tubes or something to make some trial sizing but then you can get the right size sizer made or lap one out.
You can try adding some pure lead with the WW's to see if they come out smaller.
Also reduce the casting temperature to the point where you just get perfect boolits.
.405 might still be too large to start with because any high antimony alloy will grow with age. If they drop at .405, check them again in a few days, there's a big chance they will grow to .4065 to .407.

randyrat
03-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Not trying to be a wiseguy here, but have you checked your measuring instrument, mic or whatever, against a standard to make sure it's accurate? If so, I'd list that mould as someone is surely looking for a mould throwing "fat" boolits. Or send it back to Lee and ask for a replacement.

Yes, higher lead content will throw a smaller booilt.Yes i check my instrument, Also they won't chamber. This is my second mold, i sent the first one back and they sent me another one. I'm sure most just go and buy a sizer die and call it a day. I'm leaning toward that also. The alloy mix i'm using is 10 lbs of wws with a 1/2 lb of 60/40.The Tempature- i started casting as soon as the lead was liquid and the die was hot and the bullets got better as the temp reached a certain point.

bernie1
03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I would to try an oversize mold in this cal. Do you want to sell? If so how much?

Bernie

randyrat
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
$22 and i'll pay shipping. Send me a pm with your addy and i'll send you my addy

randyrat
03-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Hold off i just found a .401 sizer from a friend of a friend