View Full Version : STP in bullet lube

sharpshooter79
01-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Howdy Folks,
I recently made up some lube (I think it's called Darr Lube). I put a pound of vaseline, a pound of parrafin wax, and a tbsp of STP treatment in it. Looking back I think I messed it up cause I put STP gas treatment instead of oil treatment in it. Did I mess up? Thanks!

Reload3006
01-07-2012, 07:33 PM
yea you were supposed to use oil treatment. but I wouldn't throw it out just get some RCBS case lube or oil treatment and remelt it in.

sharpshooter79
01-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. The gas treatment in it isn't going to make it flammable to the point of explosive or something is it? Thanks!

fryboy
01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
it would lower the flash point somewhat at least until the alcohols evaporate , you didnt put that much into it and i'd bet half of it disappeared whilst you was cookin' it ,50/50 vaseline/paraffin will work for most non-demanding type pistol loads , beeswax is a bit better but the extra lube does help IMHO

azrednek
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
STP gas treatment used to be nearly pure ether. From what I was told the feds made them change the formula. Areas where mandatory automotive emissions testing is required STP gas treatment was being used as a cheat. Cars that were close but couldn't quite pass the carbon monoxide levels, especially carburated vehicles. A couple cans of STP and the cars passed right through. Exactly what the formula is today I have no idea. I used it recently picking up a truck that had been sitting for well over 2 years. It barely ran with the tank full of stale gasoline. 2 cans of STP in the gas tank and it ran perfect.

STP Oil treatment is nearly pure paraffin. Basically the same stuff used in paraffin based motor oil.

sharpshooter79
01-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. This helps a lot!

41 mag fan
01-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Being "high" skool edgjicated back in the early '80's, I did that to Bens Red lube.
After conferring with Ben on it, I remelted and added the oil treatment

Hang Fire
01-09-2012, 03:33 AM
Little STP oil treatment on a sheep skin wool pad makes a great case lube setup, have used it for many a year.

fcvan
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Last week, I made some lube using one of the recipes from the site. I ended up modifying it some . . . I used two blocks (1/2 lb) parafin, two wax toilet rings, and 4 oz of STP. I mixed in a metal 1lb coffee can, and placed the can in a pot of boiling water. Once mixed I poured into my Lyman 450.

I've been using Rooster Red for the past couple years which required a heater. This stuff does not require heat. I lubed up some 158 RF .38 boolits and loaded up a couple boxes using my usual load.

A few days later, I finally got to let 'em fly. I had been shooting the same load for a bit but had never actually ran them across the chronograph. To my surprise, they were a good deal slower than listed in the Lyman manual. I used Rooster Red with the same load and they both measured the same average velocity. The overall difference between the two was less smoke and less grime on my revolver from the home-grown stuff, and zero leading with either.

My next project will be to make some hollow lube-stick molds! Frank