PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a Tabletop Reloading Station for the Range?

PatMarlin
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm working on a design for portable reloading at the range. It's a nice Tabletop Reloading Station made out of solid 1" pine from my sawmill.

The cabinet has storage shelves for a powder measure, press, powders canisters and dies, scale, etc. There will be 2 doors on the front that sit flush with the edge and will swing out left to right with piano hinges. They will also give the cabinet stability (in the open position), but it probably won't need it.

I will be using my Lee "O" frame challenger press, and also a good press would be the Lee "C" frame as weight of a rockchucker or similar would be to heavy. I want to leave that mounted on my home bench anyway.

I'm also fabricating a steel mount for any 7/8-14 threaded powder measure.

Both the press and measure would quickly bolt to the top of the station with wing nuts when you arrive at the range.

Would anyone here be intersted in such a rig for their own? .....:drinks:

mazo kid
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Pat, are you offering the portable bench for sale, or the use of your blueprint/design? I have heard of guys making a portable shooting bench and also a potable reloading stand using the receiver hitch on their truck or car as the base. Emery

jhalcott
03-04-2007, 10:09 PM
could you post a picture of this thing?

Sundogg1911
03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
i'd love to see a Picture of this. I live about 3 minutes from the gun club, so I never have really had a need for this. I've never seen any one reloading there either, but i would loke to see a portable setup.

Jim
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the offer, Pat. Already got one!

Jim

Dale53
03-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Some years ago, Lee made a nice, compact box for the turret press. When you got to the range, you would take the press out of the box, open the box on its side in a "V" shape, "C" clamp it to your bench (I use the bench next to mine) and fasten the press to the box with the supplied holes.

It worked well in keeping the press, etc, together. Another way, not so neat but quite workable, is to mount the press to a plate of aluminum or hardwood. Then "C" clamp the plate to the bench. I have, many times, worked up a load at the range. It is a heck of a lot better than trying to load five of this, five of that, then when you discover that only one load is good, you have a bunch of trash.

It works with pistols, revolvers, and rifles - both jacketed and cast.

Dale53

berkmberk1
03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Way back when I started highpower rifle shooting in Texas, I concocted a setup to take with me to matches. (they could be two day affairs a long way from home). I glommed onto a mortar round crate (I don't think the ASP misssed it!) which is about 30X8X8 or so. Drilled holes in the lid for my lee turret press which I mounted with carrige bolts and wing nuts. The box held all my shooting gear plus powder, bullets, scale, dies, etc. Two rope handles made it easy in and out of my Jeep. The thing also made a handy seat and/or table in the camp ground. Still have it and use it to store my handloading gear here in my apartment.

I'll still use it if I ever go somewhere more than a day trip away, to shoot.