PDA

View Full Version : Lube wont stick to boolits

joeatact
01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
I am new at this.

I mixed up 12oz of Lithium grease 16 oz of bees wax and 3 oz of parafin 2 crayans.
But it will not stick to boolits. Is there a way to fix this or start over?

WILCO
01-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Is there a way to fix this or start over?

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the forums! [smilie=s:
I would start over. There's a lot of lube info here in the forums and a little more research will yield better results. Lots of folks like the "Ben's Red" Lube.

357shooter
01-07-2012, 04:14 PM
From the question I assume you are pan-lubing.

Some bullets pan-lube better than others, sometimes the lube-pan and bullets need time in the refrigerator to harden more... there's lots of adjustments that can be made. Sometimes the lube needs to be deeper, or have more beeswax or parrafin added to harden it...

Some pics of the bullets in the lube and afterwards would help us.

slide
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
You might try heating your bullets before you lube. Most guys do it the oven, if your wife is gone!

joeatact
01-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Tried heating the bullets

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-07-2012, 06:54 PM
I've not developed "the touch" to pan lube boolits either.:groner:

Either I get a big sticky mess and much of the lube peels out of the groove because of the sticky mess, :dung_hits_fan:
or I got the whole cake too cold and it would crack and boolits would fall out with no lube in the grooves.

One thing I've read about is using a cookie cutter and I bet that'd be the cat's Meow to pan lubing. :Bright idea:

I did make a cookie cutter for some 44 cal (actually some .435 for a oversized rossi revolver).:2_high5:

I had a mold for Hollow point boolits that drop around .434 and are perfect for that gun.
I don't want them size, so I hand dip the warmed boolits,
then use a cookie cutter to cut off the excess lube.:awesome:
Yes...very time consuming, but works fairly easily.
I may try pan lubing some time again, I've read lots
of info here since I last tried it...I think I could be successful...Maybe :veryconfu

I tumble lube some rifle boolits, :lovebooli
but everything else of mine gets run through a Lyman or Star lubesizer
Jon

geargnasher
01-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Add 2 oz anhydrous Lanolin, the universal lube stickifier. Keep the lube just barely molten as you add it, it's easy to scorch lanolin. You can get it as Lansinoh Nipple Cream in the nursing mother section of drugstores, or you can get a pound or more of it for not much more money from member/vendor/sponsor Randyrat.

Gear

357shooter
01-08-2012, 06:19 AM
What bullet (mould) is being lubed, does it have a rounded lube groove or square?

How deep is the lube? It's very important to the whole process.

Did you try pressing out from by the nose?

Example of what works for my bullets:
Cook in the oven at 225 degrees until the lube is all melted
Set on the counter top for 10 minutes, the lube is formed enough to be picked up (assuming flexible pans are used)
Place in refrigirator for 10 min
If the bullets are barely warm, punch out from the top
Otherwise, cool for 5 more min

I've tried some bullets that simply need a cookie-cutter style tool to get them out. If the lube is deep enough and firm enough, the bullet is long enough with a nice lube groove it is much easier.

runfiverun
01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
gear beat me to it, 5% lanolin will help the tacky and add some flex to the lube.
you have a hard crumbly lube there with a slickifier in it, which is stopping it from adhering to your boolits.
if you had more parrafin i would advise a plasticizer [mineral oil based] also.

joeatact
01-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I changed formula but it sill doesnt do well espescially in the round groves. I will try some lanolin. Formula is vaseline/paraffin/stp oil treatment.

Christorbust
01-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Gear and Runfiverun both beat me to it: Lanolin! Don't worry gear tried to sell nipple cream to me too when I was pan lubing :veryconfu

Mine wasn't sticky enough and I added around a Tspn lanolin and it made it S-T-I-C-K-Y!!! I'd add a little then dip a spoon or something in, and let that spoonful cool and feel for the tackiness. I had to go the other way and add more carnuaba (groan).

Here pics of what mine looked like at first try:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131165

Welcome to the addiction!

Oh and +1 on Randyrat for lube ingredients. He had a package deal that included basically everything you need to make lube, including (you guessed it) lanolin. [Bonus- you can stay out of the nursing mothers shopping section, unless that's your idea of fun...]

Randyrat's so great to deal with I'll link him: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=96820