PDA

View Full Version : best 30-30 levergun?

badbob454
01-07-2012, 03:23 AM
i have a chance to get a winchester made sears model 54 /810 ....or a winchester unknown model or a marlin 30-30 unknown model what shoots the cast best ,I want to shoot heavy boolits,180-200 gr. and decent velocity , hog gun ?, i am thinking of swaping a 303 enfield smle #4 in good cond , but brass is hard to come by

d4xycrq
01-07-2012, 08:46 AM
I have a post '64 Winchester and a Marlin 336. The Marlin is clearly the better rifle. But I love the sleekness of the Winchester.

Sounds like you are spoilt for choice. Some say the micro-groove barrel in the Marlin is problematic for lead bullets. Perhaps the one you are looking at is pre-micro-groove. In any case, I have not noticed a problem with my micro-groove Marlin.

If I were you, I'd buy the one you can get the best deal on. (Taking into consideration condition, of course)

Ray

Bret4207
01-07-2012, 09:04 AM
The Sears IS a Win 94. Had one for years. The choice depends on which appeals to you best. Just remember the 303 has a lot more horse power no matter what and seldom has feed issues. Consider buying a bag of brass from Grafs?

They'll all work.

gnoahhh
01-07-2012, 11:42 AM
All of those are good guns, but if you treat yourself to a Savage 1899 in .30/30, you won't be disappointed! (If for no other reason than the rotary magazine allows for a greater variety of bullet shapes other than the standard flat or round nose.)

TXGunNut
01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
If you're planning on scoping it a 336 makes sense. My 336 is a bit slicker than any of my 94's but that's an individual thing. It would depend on the condition if it were me, have you been able to handle any of them?

Larry Gibson
01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
As mentioned; if scoping get the Marlin, otherwise the Sears M54(M94) is the sleeker better handling one and with the 12" twist is more cast bullet friendly. I prefer the M94 myself. I've done some serious velocity/psi testing of 177 - 190 gr cast bullets with LeveRevolution powder. The increase in performance at normal 30-30 psi's is worth looking at.

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
01-07-2012, 07:43 PM
All of those are good guns, but if you treat yourself to a Savage 1899 in .30/30, you won't be disappointed! (If for no other reason than the rotary magazine allows for a greater variety of bullet shapes other than the standard flat or round nose.)

Aw man! I was holding back on mentioning the finest levergun ever made just becase he didn't mention them in the OP! Most people have never even seen a 99x 30-30. I've let 2 get away. DUMB!

Canuck Bob
01-07-2012, 07:47 PM
You might consider a 32 Special. With its slightly larger bore and slower twist rifling many folks find it a better cast shooter.

6pt-sika
01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Get a Marlin 336SC that was made before 1955 in 30-30 , 32 Special or 35 REM !

Had them all and they ALL shot GREAT with cast !

Has another 336SC that was made in 1963 I believe . This one was Micro Groove of course and factory D&T for scope mounts . This one shot the Ranch Dog 311-165GC very well also !

shotman
01-07-2012, 09:05 PM
the marlin does good with the MG barrel if you use a gas check. I used the 165 Ranch dog and it done great. I had it scoped. Guy saw it and asked if I would trade it for and old gun. this is what I traded for
dont have scope yet as they cost about a $1000 but it will hit what I can see

uscra112
01-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Some say the micro-groove barrel in the Marlin is problematic for lead bullets.

Them as says that hain't tried it. Microgroove shoots plain lead just fine, so long as you do yer duty to size yer boolits correctly.

Marlin for me - the only Winchester levergun I own has been a safe queen for at least ten years.

superbee
01-07-2012, 09:37 PM
+1 on the Savage 99 in 30wcf ! Mine is extremely accurate with about any projectile (cast or jacketed) that I've tried.

My brother told me a great shooting range story. Several months ago, as guys began sighting in their rifles for deer season, an older gentleman showed up and unsheathed a well-weathered 99 in 30-30 at the 100 yard range. He fired one shot - iron sights - and drilled the bullseye. Packed the old 99 up and left.

badbob454
01-07-2012, 10:17 PM
keep em comming love to read the thoughts

williamwaco
01-07-2012, 10:29 PM
First choice the Savage in any .30 or .35 caliber.
( As far as quality is concerned it blows them both away. )

Second choice the Marlin because you can mount a scope on it.

Third choice the Winchester unless you just love the look of it and don't care about a scope. ( Then move it to the top of the list.

Any of them will shoot cast bullets WAY better than you can shoot in actual hunting conditions.

btroj
01-08-2012, 12:03 AM
I prefer blonde Fords......

Don't own a 30-30 other than my Marlin so I can't really judge. I usually figure the best one is the one in my hands when I need it.

Boerrancher
01-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Model 99 savage is the Cadillac of all lever guns, hands down. I own Sav99's, Winchester models 66 through 94, and a Marlin 1894C. For a quick grab and go easy to carry 30-30, the Winchester 94 has it hands down. If you want something to put a scope on, then you need to go with a Marlin or Savage.

Best wishes,

Joe

EDK
01-08-2012, 02:21 AM
A SAVAGE 99 is excellent, but what's the chances of finding one at a decent price?

I currently have a 30/30 MARLIN COWBOY, a TEXAN, and a half magazine 336 with 24 inch barrel. ( Now that I'm retired, I got to get busy and do some serious reloading for them.) The TEXAN is a lot easier to carry...got sling swivels on it too...but the other guns are a bit better shooters and the longer barrels have a certain feeling about them. Same situation with 357, 44 or 45/70 MARLINS too.

A seller called nuts4bolts on gunbroker has been my source for a lot of brass. You can't help but love a guy who shows a picture of a grain bin full of brass and a grain scoop.

I've got a gas check and plain base mould for 311041. The RANCH DOG 165 grain is on my "buy soon list." The current spring like weather here in Saint Looie will go back to normal...or worse!...soon and it will be time to do some mass casting and hide out in the reloading shed out back.

A MARLIN is a lot easier to clean...or check the barrel for leading.

:cbpour::redneck::guntootsmiley:

northmn
01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I personally prefer Marlins, but have found Winchesters to be very cast bullet friendly. There are aspects about the 99 Savage, like the triggerguard safety, I do not like and prefer wither a Winchester or Marlin to one of them. I have a 300 Savage and do not find it a "cadilac".

DP

Guesser
01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm also in the Savage 99 class, of 1936, 20" round barrel carbine. Much finer gun than any of the Winchester '94s or the Marlin '93, 36, or 336 that I've used. All good guns but several steps behind the Savage, even the old beat up Savage bolt gun held it's own against all the lever guns. I always wanted to play with a Savage Model 170 pump gun and a 788 Remington also.
But the Savage is top 30-30 for me.

gnoahhh
01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Vintage savage 1899's can be scoped quite easily. If it has a lot of condition and doesn't have any extra holes already in it, you might want to consider a no-drill mount like the old Stith (which works pretty good) and save the collector's value. If it has already been 'Bubba'ed" then go ahead and put regular scope mounts on it. Low mounting is feasible due to the side ejection. Affordable 99 .30/30's are out there.

Better yet, just mount a tang sight on it and go out and kill stuff with it!

Larry, have you posted your final results of your experiments with LeveRevolution powder yet? Maybe I missed it. I want to give it a try too, but don't want to re-invent the wheel if I can help it! Ha ha.

LVRFAN
01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Asking which 30-30 is the best is alot like asking whether blondes are better than brunettes. Now, if you're one of those Savage kind of guys, well, ugly, fat women need love too! Just kidding guys.

458mag
01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Bygolly i love a hand full!!!!

gnoahhh
01-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Ha ha! They're all good. (It's just that the Savage is a little better!:kidding: )

geargnasher
01-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Between the '94 Winchester carbine and Marlin 336 Micro-Groove, I've compared directly and thoroughly several times, and owed one of each in .30-30. I traded the Winchester, and it had much nicer wood and better polish on the metal. The Marlin is 100 times more solid and functional. As far as shooting, I've been amazed that not one time have I ever been able to tell the difference between the two makes. They shoot the same. I've been involved in more than one wager involving this comparison, and each time it resulted in a draw.

Gear

6pt-sika
01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Asking which 30-30 is the best is alot like asking whether blondes are better than brunettes. Now, if you're one of those Savage kind of guys, well, ugly, fat women need love too! Just kidding guys.

Hmmm since I prefer asian chicks that might explain why I always liked the Marlin Guide Gun's and I made one of my old 444's into a 19" barreled rifle :wink:

As I said earlier I've owned Winchesters and still have a few but the appeal has worn off .
Had a pair of Savage 99's in 300 and a 1899 in 30-30 and they lost my intrest in a matter of months . Yeah they all shot fine with jacketed and or cast . Just not my cup of tea !

In the past I owned no less then 14 rifles chambered for the 30-30 at the same time !
One was a Winchester of 1902 vintage and one was a Savage 1899 . All the others were Marlin's made anywhere from 1906 to about 2004 . They ALL shot well . And at the moment I only still have the Winchester 1894 , it's a takedown with a half round half octagoin barrel and very nice wood . Gun also has a three leaf rear sight that was factory original . I keep this one just because it's fairly marketable and I should get a decent price for it when I go to sell it . But then the same could be said about the circa 1906 Marlin Model 1893 30-30 I sold two years ago !

LVRFAN
01-09-2012, 12:35 AM
BIG +1 on the asian chicks 6pt!

badbob454
01-09-2012, 03:00 AM
thanks for all the opinions my experience has been with only 2 lever 30-30's a marlin microgroove barrel and a winchester , the micro groove marlin would hit a softball sized target all day long and never miss at 100 yds the winchester would hit about 4 out of 5 times at best so i was wondering what you all thought before i swapped for one .. ... keep ya posted bob

gnoahhh
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Easy way to decide. Just get one of each, test them and then decide! (Oh darn. Do I have to go to the range yet again?!)

gundownunder
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Like LVRFAN said
if you're one of those Savage kind of guys, well, ugly, fat women need love too!

I would think that the one you like the look of and the feel of would be the best one to get.

In the Ford V Chevy race two things come up every time this discussion comes up.
(1) Marlins are easier to scope.
(2) Microgrooves are less cast bullet friendly. (I have read 100 times that keeping velocity down and diameter up will help heaps with that).

EDK
01-09-2012, 10:41 PM
"A good gun (MARLIN!) a swiss watch, AND a woman from anywhere," from the NEW Rooster Cogburn in the New TRUE GRIT.

:cbpour::redneck::guntootsmiley:

shdwlkr
01-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Well I have several winchester 30-30 only shot one marlin in 30-30 in my life and it belongs to a stepson and it just didn't seem to fit me.

As to which is better well they didn't make so many variations because it was a fun thing to do. It is because not every one likes the same thing.

Take a look at cars, trucks women, houses, tools anything there just isn't one size, style fits all.

Some folks like magnums personally I can't shoot them worth a darn and the only one I could I stupidly traded off for something else years ago.

I like winchesters because that was the first 30-30 put in my hands and I just got used to them and stick with them.
I just recently got my first marlin lever and it is a model 62 yea I like old stuff and odd stuff it kind of fits me as I am old and getting odder by the day.

How so well I still believe the Constitution and Bill of Rights are important documents and most of all it is time for the size of government to shrink and get out of so many different aspects of an individuals life. Like I said I am old and like odd things.

There is a individual in Washington that says I have had a life so I don't need much medical care as there is little benefit from keeping me alive if a big medical need comes up. Funny thing is though he wants it there for him when he gets old as a incompetent political he is so important to the country. Just shows how things have changed for some and for others there is still some value in age and wisdom learned to get that old.

badbob454
01-14-2012, 11:00 PM
bummer the guy backed out of the deal said it would ruin the look of his man cave , o well il keep looking .. maybe try for a 35 cal levergun

no 30-30 for me yet....

Dave Bulla
01-15-2012, 03:09 AM
maybe try for a 35 cal levergun

Now you're talkin! I absolutely LOVE the Marlins in 35 Remington. I think it may just be the best all around close to mid range North American hunting rifle made. Well, right behind the 45-70 that is...

If you want a little meat on your gun, look for an older A model. I'd love to find an A at a good price. If you want slim and trim, look for a Texan. If you want a compromise, look for the SC model. It's just like the A model but with a 20" barrel instead of a 24" one. They've all got their individual handling characteristics and balance but any one of them will do the trick. And if you can't find any of the ones I mentioned, the plain old 336 RC is the all around standard.

If you want to learn a bit more, check out www.marlinowners.com and do some browsing. Tons of info and lots of good folks just like here.

TXGunNut
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Now you're talkin! I absolutely LOVE the Marlins in 35 Remington. I think it may just be the best all around close to mid range North American hunting rifle made. Well, right behind the 45-70 that is...Dave Bulla

I love my 45-70 GG but it's little sister is looking better all the time. The 336 in 35 Rem was like new when I bought her about 18 mos ago and shoots very well with my j-bullet loads...still trying to convince her she likes real boolits but all this load testing and experimentation has really slicked her action up nicely. Pistol grip feels better to me than the straight grip on my GG so someday she may be my go-to levergun.

northmn
01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Given a 35 R and a 30-30 I will take the 35 for deer hunting. The ballistics published for 30-30 are almost all 26" barrel as compared to 20" for the 35 so there is no real velocity advantage in a 30-30. The 35 is a true step up in power from a 30-30 with less recoil than the biogger guns. I like my 35 Marlin.

DP

shdwlkr
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
northmn
I do have a 26 and a 24 and a 20 inch 30-30 so I can get to the published fps if I want to then again what for if the load I work up does the job I want it too. Looked a long time for that 26 inch one and one day while wandering around one of my favorite stores this one just jumped me and begged me to take it home so I did.

The 24 was a little different it was stand offish at first didn't like me and then the former owner walked by and it decided life with me had to be better than what it had known.

The 20 inch is the funnest as I picked it up looked at it and who in the world would want a parkerized lever action winchester. Went looking at others and then had enough sense to come back and look at the serial number it also came home with me yes it is an old one and it shoots great now I put the elevator back on it. Yep I bought it cheap and it will do anything I ask of it and it doesn't mind getting a little damp either.

My winchester .375 started when I began reading what a worthless cartridge it was so I decided I needed one to customize so I bought one online and it was just too new to mess with so I again began my search for a cheap rebuild rifle. Well one came up on the internet some dealer had and for a cheap enough price I called and asked if the action was in good shape didn't care much about the rest of it and he said it was and could have it shipped to my smith the next day. Three days later I get a call I need to come look at this thing that had my name on it, well it was road hard put away soaked and forgotten but the action was in great shape and we began the process. Off came the barrel and feed tube and the wood stocks. Found a barrel that could be made into an octagon and was 26 inch finished length, full mag tube, new wood and new finish I totally love my .375 winchester octagon and the only sad thing is my smith is gone now and I am missing a good friend as well as a great gunsmith.
Have you noticed I have a thing for long barreled rifles?

If I want bigger I get my .375 winchester with a 26 inch barrel or my 45-70 with a 22 inch barrel or my 270 or 30-06 each has it purpose in my rack and that is that.

Levers I think I have 7 or is it 9 of them now just seem to keep multipyling and I may have to separate some of them as them seem to be getting a might to friendly lately.

TXGunNut
01-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Levers I think I have 7 or is it 9 of them now just seem to keep multipyling and I may have to separate some of them as them seem to be getting a might to friendly lately...shdwlkr

I've been noticing that, gun socks don't seem to make very good condoms either. :bigsmyl2:

pls1911
01-17-2012, 11:44 PM
I have Winchesters, a Savage, and many many Marlins (even one cast off from 6-pointSika's collection). All Marlins but two are premicro groove, most years between 1893 and 1955.
I find an analogy of Marlin lever designs in John Browning's best, the 1911 automatic pistol.
The artistic beauty of both designs lies in simplicity of design, few moving parts, ease of maintenance, and reliable accuracy.
Properly alloyed, properly sized, and properly lubricated cast bullets have shot well in all guns mentioned.
Yes, I am partial to Marllins, but you should judge on tightness of action, bore quality, and mechanical overall condition, and appearance...in that order.
Ugly wood can be repaired, refinished or replaced with little expense.
One of the best buys I ever made was from a gun which had been carried to hell and back, but the metal remained near pristine, and the insides were "new".... a 60 year old gun MAYBE fired fifty times, by a fine old gentleman who bought it new and didn't waste ammo.

shdwlkr
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Txgunnut
Now I wonder how big a condom one would need to protect a lever action rifle?

dlbarr
01-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Well, I'm new and all but this seems like the right place to ask this. I bought my dad a 1895 Marlin in 30-30 for his 65th b'day. He will be 87 in March and the only time he shot it was the day I gave it to him. Been sitting on his shelf in the box since then and someday I'll get it back. Just wondering if this is a good one or not? Thanks.

Boerrancher
01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
dlbarr,

It will be a microgroove barrel, but there is nothing wrong with that. Don't listen to the stories about how microgroove barrels won't shoot cast boolits, are bad for leading, etc. I have a Marlin 1894C that I know is at least 40 years old. It is a microgroove. I got it used when I was seven years old. I don't know how much it was used before I got it, but once it was mine, I wouldn't be surprised if that gun doesn't have a million rounds of cast boolits shot through it by now. As a kid I packed that gun everywhere on the farm. It went with me any time I was out. I would shoot several thousand rounds a year out of it of cast. I still have that old gun and it is one of my go to guns that I grab if I am headed out the door in a hurry. It will still roll a coyote well over 100 yards. Them old marlins just Keep shooting. Don't worry about your dad's, it will be a good one. Only the ones made in the last few years are Junk.

Best wishes,

Joe

nanuk
01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
as to the fat bottomed girls, I read an article where the writer put on on a diet.

took the forestock off and sanded it down sleek and smooth..... turned that sowbelly into a nice trim whippet!

shdwlkr
01-19-2012, 09:53 AM
dlbarr
First it has the value that it was your dad's and you bought it for him what more value do you need?
Today we sometimes forget what value means and can only see the money it is or is not worth. I have a winchester model 94 that is 100 plus years old and I only wished it could tell some of the adventures it has been on since being made and purchased.
My dad bought me just one firearm and I sold it decades ago it has been a painful memory since my dad died 7 years ago. I have my dad's love of the land and hope to return to it soon and once again dad and I can get dirty in the soil and be again close.

More than likely when I die none of my kids will want any of my firearms and yes it has been taken care of, a dear friend gets them all and if my kids ask for one or two they will be allowed to have them as long as they will use them they were not made to hang on the wall or sit in a corner.

creophus
01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm partial to the 336. I had this same debate a few months ago. Had a 94 and traded it off for a 336 and am glad I did.

dlbarr
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
shdwklr, I am in complete agreement with you regarding my Dad's gun. I wouldn't consider getting rid of it by any means. I was just curious as to its merit compared to the available field of 30-30 lever guns.

A few years back now, Dad also gave me his Remington Target Master model 510. It's single shot .22 bolt action and the sweetest little rifle. He bought it when he was 16 and it's the gun I learned on myself growing up. It has become my go-to gun just for walking around so to speak. So....that one will never leave the family either, matter of fact it's probably the only gun that any of my boys will fight over.

Way off topic here. Sorry about that..... ;-)

pls1911
01-19-2012, 09:46 PM
AUUUGHH!!!
Leave the perch bellys alone!!!
Want a skinny little forestock, buy a new one, but keep the origenal.
Want a sweet skinny gun? Go find an 1893 carbine.... Geez, what a slim little ballerina!
I have a couple and there's little comparison to the feel of later model workhorse Marlins, other than rugged durability, silky smooth actions, and one hole accuracy with cast bullets.

TXGunNut
01-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Txgunnut
Now I wonder how big a condom one would need to protect a lever action rifle?-shdwlkr

No idea, tried several different brands of gun socks and none seem to work. To make it worse most of the leverguns tend to hang out in the same safe, including most of the Winchesters. Marlins are in another safe but they're behaving themselves...for now.[smilie=l:

TXGunNut
01-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Yo, OP? You decide on a rifle yet?

9.3X62AL
01-20-2012, 12:25 AM
I've owned both Win 94s (2 right now) and Marlin 336s. I love both makes, as said above the Marlin is easier to mount a scope sight onto......and LOTS easier to take down for cleaning from the breech end. A Savage 99 is nicer than either of the first 2, but they don't grow on trees and have premium pricing.

idahoron
01-20-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a very old M94 Winchester and a 336 that is pre micro groove. I like the winchester but the 336 is a FAR better shooting rifle.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Marlin336RC-B.jpg

this rifle is a wicked shooting rifle.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/150grMarlingroup1.jpg

After shooting this gun a lot my son decided he wanted to go old school on a deer. It was a super fun old school hunt.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Deer%20hunting/2010Doe25.jpg

Winchesters have the name but the Marlins have the accuracy. Ron

dlbarr
01-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Great pic, Ron, of your son, your gun & his deer. I'll bet that was a blast.

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Ill go against the flow a bit here and say that ive allways had better luck with cast bullets in winchester lever guns in all calibers compared to marlins. Not that my marlins dont shoot well its just theyve usually took a bit more load development to get there. I actually own more marlins then winchesters but in a 3030 its hard to beat a good pre 64 94 for shooting cast. Ill make one exception to that blanket statement. Ive had a couple of the old 24 inch adls and they are shooting sobs! Probably THE most accurate lever guns ive ever seen. One i still have is dads old adl 3030 and it will shoot MANY loads into less then an inch for 5 shots at a 100 yards. Marlins are good guns but everyone knows a real 3030 is a 94 winchester.

9.3X62AL
01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Lloyd, I'll start the popcorn. :)

ID Ron, that is some kinda accurate 30 WCF! None of mine of any make can do that well. The current Win 94 will do 5-shotters into 1.5" to 1.75" @ 100, jacketed or cast--and that is fine AFAIC. Its deer-capable range is at or under 150 yards, so that kind of accuracy is minute-of-mule-deer-K-zone easily.

Papa smurf
01-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Winchester 94 till my eyes went like the rest of this 73 year old body ,now its a Marlin with an old Weaver 1 1/2 power scope . Both are in 30-30 . The Marlin has a micro-groove but does very well with all boolets from 130 gr to 180. Good Shooting-----------Papa Smurf

TXGunNut
01-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Son's got a good eye, ID Ron. Good to see a young man doing the things we love. Very nicely done on paper and in the field. Doesn't get much better than that.

adrians
01-26-2012, 09:05 AM
i'm partial to my winchester 94 in 30-30 (manufactured in 1954) .
i have shot both marlin and win, marlin is in my opinion no better nor no worse.
i just like the "feel" of the 94 over the 336 but thats just me..
apples and oranges,,, 6 to 1 half a dozen of the another,, :twisted::coffee::evil:

oh! and JACK the frog digs it too......

Lonegun1894
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
They're both great rifles, and the Savage isnt any worse. I have 2 Winchesters and 1 Marlin and they all shoot equally well. I prefer the feel of the Winchesters very slightly over the Marlin, but not enough to not use the Marlin. All three of my .30-30s wear iron sights, but the Marlin will be easier to mount a scope on if I live long enough for my eyes to need one someday. So I would say get whichever you feel better about or like the best. The only Savage 99 I ever got to shoot was chambered in .308, so I can't comment directly on a .30-30, but if the .30-30s shoot anything like the .308 I shot, they're also great guns--even if they dont feel as good in my hands. :kidding:

starmac
01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I think it is pretty much all in personal preference, more than which is best. I like the feel of the 94 better than the marlin, I also like the feel of the older savages with the smaller forend, much better than the newer ones, but that is just personal preference.