PDA

View Full Version : cheap revolvers

hornsurgeon
01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I love mmy scoped gp100 but am looking for a 357 for my kids to learn on without a scope. Ilike to run my ruger hot. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with the cheaper brands like eaa windicator, Rossi, armscor, charter arms, etc. Can any of these hold up to top end loads? Also, id like a 4" barrel at least.

Thanks for the input.

454PB
01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure I'd want one of my kids (grandkids in my case) hanging on to a "cheap" .357 with hot loads.

Probably the cheapest .357 I own is a Taurus model 66, and I trust it enough to let my grandkids shoot it......but certainly not with maximum loads.

Love Life
01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
PM sent

hornsurgeon
01-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I should have mentioned that I wount have an issue with loading down some ammo for this new pistol if needed. Infact I would probably use 38s in it most of the time.

Love Life
01-06-2012, 11:08 PM
If that is the case then a Charter should do the trick. I have had one of their 38 special snubbies for 4 years now with over 4,000 rounds through it in 38 special so the larger revolver should work just as well.

Kraschenbirn
01-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Your best bet might be to shop around for a law enforcement trade-in. Last time I was in his shop, one of our local dealers was selling 4" S&W M13s and M65s for $220 and $245, respectively. The two samples I saw, were typical LE...lots of "carry wear" but very little mechanical...nice tight lock-ups and very clean bores. Still kickin' myself for not snaggin' onto the M65 he showed me that day.

Bill

txbirdman
01-07-2012, 12:38 AM
I think www.aimsurplus.com may have some Model 13's.

jameslovesjammie
01-07-2012, 12:40 AM
My Grandma (she even has a CCW permit) has a 4" Rossi that she is in love with. I shot it over Christmas break, and I have to say that I was really impressed. No, the trigger isn't as good as a Smith and it isn't as strong as a Ruger, but for a full size gun half the price of either...I would have no issues with it. I love S&W double actions and Ruger singles, but the Rossi seems like a very good gun at a reasonable price.

buyobuyo
01-07-2012, 12:58 AM
I have a 4" EAA Windicator that I have been very happy with. I've primarily shot .38 out of it, but I put a box of .357 through it just before Christmas without any problems. Hopefully sooner than later, I'll get around to loading both for it. Until then, it doesn't see a lot of use because I can't afford a lot of factory ammo.

leadman
01-07-2012, 01:16 AM
J&G Sales has used Taurus revolvers for $150. They have a lanyard ring on the butt so were probably central American military or police.

My son has a Taurus, think it is a 66, a mid sized revolver antway. He fired some of my Blackhawk loads that were very close to top end in the manual. It shot alright but the base of the cases showed expansion.
He fires midrange loads usually.

MtGun44
01-07-2012, 02:46 AM
USED S&W is better than a new Charter, Taurus, etc.

Bill

Matthew 25
01-07-2012, 02:58 AM
A second on the used. It seems you can always find a battered 357 BH for fairly cheap. Since I get rid of about 5% of the guns I buy, I assume I'm keeping my next purchase. Therefore I want something decent to keep or to give away to family or friends.
Wouldn't it be awful to buy a cheapo revolver, die the next week, and have the junker passed on to a friend or child...only to have them remember you as a cheapskate every time they looked at it? Kind of joking, kind of not.

Love Life
01-07-2012, 03:21 AM
Model 28 S&W is a great place to start!! :bigsmyl2:

hornsurgeon
01-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Used isalways good, but they are bringing near new prices here. The last blackhawk I found was $375 and the guywouldnot budge on the price. It was gone the next day.

Bret4207
01-07-2012, 09:13 AM
First you need to get a 22 rifle to teach them sight alignment and trigger squeeze, so they understand they can sink 5 rounds into the black. Handing someone a handgun and telling them to have at it is the wrong way to go about it. Then you need a 22 handgun to transition them to. Then I'd suggest a Smith K frame or a Ruger Blackhawk or Security-Six for the 357, (the L and N frame Smiths and Ruger GP/Redhawks are too heavy for kids, the BH is right at the edge), used is fine, with adjustable sights just because the adjustable sights are easier to use. I'd be feeding them very low recoil target loads for the first 6 months to a year before moving up to 357s.

PacMan
01-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Read above post again. Makes cpmplete sense.
Lids/young shooters need to start off right and a .357 mag will not do it. It will induce flinch right off the bat maybe not so much from recoil as muzzel blast. Good hearing protection is a must.
I firmly beleive flinch is as much a result of muzzel blast as recoil in handguns.
Start low and work up.

x101airborne
01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Round here, used police issue trade in model 10's from the 50's are pretty much everywhere. Gun shops wont even buy em much anymore. When I am hanging around and someone doesn't want to take the 100 bucks offered for their ugly model 10, I will follow em outside and offer 125 or so. I usually get it and no paperwork. I think I am up to 4 or 5 now. Good shooters, light, strong, accurate, easy to carry and manipulate for a beginner shooter. And reload cast 38's run us what, about 4 dollars a box of 50? Heck, I even let my stepson carry one in the woods when he is with me and I can supervise him closely. He is 9, but very safety conscious.

Bret4207
01-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Round here, used police issue trade in model 10's from the 50's are pretty much everywhere. Gun shops wont even buy em much anymore. When I am hanging around and someone doesn't want to take the 100 bucks offered for their ugly model 10, I will follow em outside and offer 125 or so. I usually get it and no paperwork. I think I am up to 4 or 5 now. Good shooters, light, strong, accurate, easy to carry and manipulate for a beginner shooter. And reload cast 38's run us what, about 4 dollars a box of 50? Heck, I even let my stepson carry one in the woods when he is with me and I can supervise him closely. He is 9, but very safety conscious.

I wish it was like that around here. It's got to be trashed for a Smith to drop under 2 bills, even the plain jane 10's and 15's. If it's stainless (yeck!) it's worth $50.00 at least for some reason.

John D
01-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Model 28 S&W is a great place to start!! :bigsmyl2:

+1 on the Model 28. I have one and LOVE it.
Shoot mostly .38 mid range through it...

MtGun44
01-07-2012, 10:23 PM
For kids to be able to shoot enough to get good, they need to be shooting a .22 unless you
are going to load their .38 ammo youself from boolits that you cast from free wwts.

Centerfire factory ammo is so expensive now that I wonder how adults afford it, and kids
won't be able to hack it.

I burned dozens of bricks of .22s through a Ruger std auto that taught me how to shoot
a pistol. A used Ruger std auto would be a really good place to start.

Bill

David LaPell
01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Smith & Wesson Model 28 or my first handgun, a Ruger Blackhawk .357 4 5/8 inch barrel. Granted its a single action but boy what a gun to learn on.

rintinglen
01-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Nearly every really good shot that I've met started on a 22. Sadly, the days of good, cheap .22s are in the past, but companies like High Standard, Harrington and Richardson, and Iver Johnson used to make them by the long ton.

NickSS
01-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Starting a kid with a 357 mag is not a good idea. I taught not only my three kids how to shoot but also trained at least 50 boy scouts the same way. I started them an air rifle then graduated to 22 rifles then went to 22 hand guns then after they were fully competent to shoot and score nice groups I greduated them to 38 revolvers then after they could shoot them well I let them shoot whatever they wanted to. Interestingly all three of my kids prefer shooting cap and ball revolvers to newer guns. go figure.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2012, 07:54 AM
another vote for a good used gun. If your going to shoot it alot a cheap gun is going to show its ugly face fast and gettting those off brands serviced or finding parts can be a challange. Id look for a used ruger or smith if it were my money. Thing is with used handgus most people buy one and put a box of shells through it and find that buying ammo is expensive so about half the guns out there on the market have only a box or two of shells through them.

Four Fingers of Death
01-10-2012, 08:33 AM
9 out of 10 new shooters will never develop into really good shots starting off with a crappy revolver and full house loads. Yours might be different, but in all likelyhood, you will probably turn them off shooting. Bret4207 and others are on the right track. I am a range officer 2-3 times a week and half the time we have a new shooter trying things out. I carry a SAKO Quad with me for these guys to shoot the 22LR barrel. You don't need something that fancy, just happens to be my go to rimfire, from plinking to fox skin hunting, it does it all. An old single shot 22 costs peanuts and will get them on the right track, give it to another kid when they are finished. Gets, em comfortable and starts em' right.

Either that or if they want to start on a pistol, they get to shoot my late wife's old early 60s vintage Browning 22. It has seen more shots than Elmer saw ceegars and he was smokin' for a longgggggggggg time! Been rebuilt twice, only needed new springs, etc. That gun has started off many a new shooter.

If I was to be buying another revolver, I'd rather have an old Smith than a new el cheapo anyday. If you are thinking single action a single six and then let them graduate to a Blackhawk or Vaquero, Smiths and Rugers, all you need in revolvers (well, if you are like me and can't afford Colts, :) )

garym1a2
01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
My brother teaches a CCW class and many times a guy brings out a Girl to and gives her a 357, 9mm or 45acp and she fires it a couple times and flinches or wants to give up. He brings a Walther P22 for a class backup and they have no problem with that one. Its better to have a 22 you can shoot than a Magnum that you are afraid of.

9 out of 10 new shooters will never develop into really good shots starting off with a crappy revolver and full house loads. Yours might be different, but in all likelyhood, you will probably turn them off shooting. Bret4207 and others are on the right track. I am a range officer 2-3 times a week and half the time we have a new shooter trying things out. I carry a SAKO Quad with me for these guys to shoot the 22LR barrel. You don't need something that fancy, just happens to be my go to rimfire, from plinking to fox skin hunting, it does it all. An old single shot 22 costs peanuts and will get them on the right track, give it to another kid when they are finished. Gets, em comfortable and starts em' right.

Either that or if they want to start on a pistol, they get to shoot my late wife's old early 60s vintage Browning 22. It has seen more shots than Elmer saw ceegars and he was smokin' for a longgggggggggg time! Been rebuilt twice, only needed new springs, etc. That gun has started off many a new shooter.

If I was to be buying another revolver, I'd rather have an old Smith than a new el cheapo anyday. If you are thinking single action a single six and then let them graduate to a Blackhawk or Vaquero, Smiths and Rugers, all you need in revolvers (well, if you are like me and can't afford Colts, :) )

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
excellent point. Its real easy to get discouraged when your trying to hit a soda can at 25 yards with a gun that wont do it off the bench!

Sheriff
01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Spend your money on ear plugs/muffs and a good .22. Save the centerfires til after they've shot awhile.

Markbo
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I agree that the .357 is a lot of gun... just the noise and blast for kids is tough. A .45 might be just the ticket. Anyway, you can buy a very pretty .357 for just $250- NIB:
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/268838000/268838831/pix248207777.jpg
Go here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268838831

I just bought 3 - yes 3 of the rougher finished Hombre guns in .45 for me and my stepsons. I chose those with the intent to 'age' them to look like antique .45s. They start out like this:
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/268697000/268697007/pix835697657.jpg

hornsurgeon
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM
thanks for the input. my son has been shooting rifles for several years now. he would be shooting 38's, but i'd rather have the option for 357's later. i've been looking for a used ruger or smith, but around here you can't touch either for under $425. even a used blackhawk!

Markbo
01-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Then go to that Gunbroker site and check out that seller's other sales. He has several of those $250 Uberti's in .357 too.

MtGun44
01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Interesting. Used Security Sixes here are about $325, as are any nice looking S&W 10 or 14
or 15. A 65 is usually a bit more but maybe $375.

Bill

Alan
01-12-2012, 11:44 PM
+1 on the .22. actually +5 is more like it. It takes tens of thousands of rounds to get good with a pistol, and even reloading .32's or .38's that is going to be expensive.

Tazman1602
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
They were indeed Leadman. I got a boatload for my shop and some are REALLY rough and some are not bad at all.

For a woods gun or something you don't have to worry about getting scared up they are an excellent value. They've been flying out the door at between $175-$250 depending on condition. Bores are good and lockup ain't half bad. They are Model 82's in .38 special only. According to Taurus all their revolvers are made to handle +P ammo.

Like I said they aren't beauty queens but the price is definately right. You can't touch a used Smith around here for under about $300 for a very ratty one. I don't know why people hate Taurus sometimes, I've had very good luck with their revolvers but would not buy one of their semi auto's --- that's just personal preference.

Wife tried one out tonight and said it was a very comfortable gun for her to shoot.

Art

J&G Sales has used Taurus revolvers for $150. They have a lanyard ring on the butt so were probably central American military or police.

My son has a Taurus, think it is a 66, a mid sized revolver antway. He fired some of my Blackhawk loads that were very close to top end in the manual. It shot alright but the base of the cases showed expansion.
He fires midrange loads usually.