PDA

View Full Version : NEF Handi Pistol

joeb33050
03-04-2007, 07:29 AM
The NEF and/or H&R single shot rifles work and shoot so well, I wish they'd make a SS pistol out of the thing, how hard would that be? I think I could make a pistol out of one on my table, but I think that's against the law.
Anyhow, that would give us a SS break open multi-barrel pistol for short money, and might make the TC/S&W folks sit up and take notice.
joe b.

44man
03-04-2007, 09:38 AM
It's another one of those super ignorant laws. You can make a rifle out of a pistol but not the other way around. Since NEF made the rifle first, they can't make a pistol out of it.

lar45
03-04-2007, 04:30 PM
They have the Survivor stock or whatever it's called, that is black plastic and has the big thumbhole pistol grip arangement. Anyway, you could cut the butt stock off and have the pistol grip without any real work.

If you could get them to sell you an action only that has never been built into a rifle and get a letter along with it, then you could build a handi pistol and have it be legal.

redneckdan
03-04-2007, 11:16 PM
i'd buy one if they were offered, especially if .30 herret was a chambering.

lar45
03-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Many years ago, I bought a Handi Rifle in 30-06 and the survivor stock set. Then cut the butt off. I used my Brownells crowning cutter to cut a 3/4" recess hole. Then got a short cap bolt and fender washer to put it back on the frame. It fit well and looked pretty good. I cut the barrel down to just over the legal overall length and took it too the range. The recoil wasn't bad for all factory loads. The 220gn loads did recoil abit, but they weren't too bad. I did have a problem with the barrel. the chamber was cut way too deep. If the ejector didn't catch the groove in the case, then it could fall in about a rims deapth below the breach and the fireing pin couldn't reach it. I wish I could send the barrel back, but I doubt they would do anything with the cutting and stuff that I did.
I should send it back and get some of the accesory barrels. I'll put that on the todo list.

(minimum barrel length is 16" and overall length is 26.5" I think)(The length is measured along a straight line through the bore and straight back to the farthest point)(Think of putting a big square on the middle of the barrel and then run the square back till it touches the farthest point.)

I have thought about seeing if H&R would sell me abunch of frames and barrels and get a manufactures lisence. I need to clone myself so I can follow up on all the side trails.