PDA

View Full Version : Ruger American Rifle

Jailer
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Anyone have any hands on experience with one of these yet? They look to be a decent, inexpensive gun targeted directly at the Savage Axis/Marlin XL7 line of rifles.

I just put out word to my contact to get me one in 308 as soon as they are available in the supply chain. I'll report on it as soon as I get it but I'd like to hear from anyone who has been fortunate enough to get a hands on with one of these.

old06
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Anyone have any hands on experience with one of these yet? They look to be a decent, inexpensive gun targeted directly at the Savage Axis/Marlin XL7 line of rifles.

I just put out word to my contact to get me one in 308 as soon as they are available in the supply chain. I'll report on it as soon as I get it but I'd like to hear from anyone who has been fortunate enough to get a hands on with one of these.

I cant wait for them to hit the racks I need a 243 for the grand kids and this looks like the one. I handled most others in this category and with the exception of the savage stevens I wasn't impressed

Four Fingers of Death
01-07-2012, 08:39 AM
They really look good. If I wasn't set up with Remingtons, I'd give them a run. They sort of look like a cross between a T/C Venture and a Tikka. Same approach to making a cheap rifle.

The advantage over the Axis is that they have an adjustable trigger and unlike the Marlin, they have a detachable magazine. The Axis mag clip is a point of dislike for a lot of shooters, the Ruger mag seems to be a better proposition all round.

I like the cheekpad pouch with the adjustable inserts. That looks like it would work well.

Jailer
01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
They do seem to have a lot of nice features for such an inexpensive gun.

I was only able to find one review so far and that was on gunblast. I like Jeff's reviews, but I've never seen him print a single negative about any gun he has reviewed. Still it looks to be a decent shooter with the right ammo and I bet handloads will be even better.

HANDYMAN
01-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I handled one today and it's a really nice rifle. Well balanced, light, and shouldered easily. I'll be shooting it tomorrow hopefully and I'll report back. My friend works for Ruger and has one to play with. :)

Jailer
01-07-2012, 11:25 PM
What caliber?

Please report back ASAP.

Four Fingers of Death
01-08-2012, 02:38 AM
They seem to be available in 243, 308, 270 and 30/06 from what I remember of the ad.

I wouldn't mind one as a 308 lead boolit/plinker/experimenter, but I don't know how the mag length would go.

I suppose they would be the same action length as most other cheap rifles are, so a 308 with a 30/06 mag would allow boolits to be seated out. None on the shelves here, so we are just pi$$ing into the wind at this stage.

cdet69
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Seems like a nice starter rifle. Has a real good price with it to.

HANDYMAN
01-09-2012, 12:39 AM
I did get to shoot one today in 30-06 my favorite caliber. He had a Burris 3x9 on it and it shot real nice. between the 5 of us we put 200rds through it in about an hour. The barrel was smoking but it still hit exactly point of aim. I was hoping to do a little more accuracy testing with it but it was Fricken cold and the boys were more interested in torture testing it. I did manage one prone group with it that was a little over 1in but my heart was bouncing me all over plus the mirage from the HOT barrel was hard to see through. The barrels are made by green mtn barrels and the trigger is exactly like a savage accu trigger. It's light at about 7lbs with scope but didn't kick bad at all due to the nice recoil pad they put on it. I did find out that the action will remain the same regardless of caliber so don't expect a short action but I can tell you the bolt is smooth as glass.

Well that's what I can remember for now if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I forgot to add that the Ammo was 10 different brands and weights from 150gr to 180gr most of them being 168's. All shot to the same POA at 100yds which amazed me.

Pigslayer
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I have an original M77 in .270 cal which I bought back in (I think) 1974 and I have a M77 MarkII in 7MM Rem Mag. Both, of course are fine shooters. I would really like to have the Ruger American in .308 caliber. I think that the .308 would be a good caliber to cast for. The price is very affordable.
I have had the Super Blackhawk Revolver in .44 Mag & have the Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I have other rifles & handguns which are all fine shooters but the "Rugers" . . . what can I say? "Top Shelf".

Ben
01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qx26f0BgCU0

Four Fingers of Death
01-19-2012, 05:10 AM
I have an original M77 in .270 cal which I bought back in (I think) 1974 and I have a M77 MarkII in 7MM Rem Mag. Both, of course are fine shooters. I would really like to have the Ruger American in .308 caliber. I think that the .308 would be a good caliber to cast for. The price is very affordable.
I have had the Super Blackhawk Revolver in .44 Mag & have the Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I have other rifles & handguns which are all fine shooters but the "Rugers" . . . what can I say? "Top Shelf".

These look good, but are nothing like the Ruger77s. Look more like a Tikka with a fat Weatherby bolt, apart from the three lugs and the stock looks like it's mother got frightened by an Axis stock. They look like being an excellent rifle though. Might damage the sales of the 77 and make it dearer still. Have to wait and see I suppose.

Jailer
01-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Well, I'm having second thoughts about a 308. I'm thinking of going with a 30-06 and re barreling to 338-06. Looks like it has the same type of barrel system as the Savage and newer Marlins so a barrel swap shouldn't be a problem for the average guy with a few tools.

Should I be an early adopter and take my chances on the Ruger or go with a Savage for a 338-06 project? I'm really wanting one of these new Rugers just to see if they shoot worth a darn or not but I'm torn on weather or not I should go with a proven package.

I'm picking up a used 223 axis tomorrow for conversion to 300 AAC blackout and the 338 is next on my list.

Should I stick with the Ruger of go with a Savage?

HANDYMAN
01-21-2012, 07:12 PM
after playing with the Ruger I would go with that. I like the bolt design and it does use the same system as the savage for the barrel and trigger.

Jailer
01-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Just put in word with my guy to get the -06 instead of the 308. I can always come back to the 308 some other time.

Too many projects, so little time.......

starmac
01-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Since they have gone to the savage type barrel, and all calibers are the same action, what is the chance you will be able to switch calibers, like a savage.

white eagle
01-22-2012, 12:22 PM
wow I am impressed
never really liked Ruger Rifles
more of a Winchester Model 70 man
but....... I may have to buy one of these
and I do not own a 30-06 so............

Fishman
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
They seem to be available in 243, 308, 270 and 30/06 from what I remember of the ad.

I wouldn't mind one as a 308 lead boolit/plinker/experimenter, but I don't know how the mag length would go.

I suppose they would be the same action length as most other cheap rifles are, so a 308 with a 30/06 mag would allow boolits to be seated out. None on the shelves here, so we are just pi$$ing into the wind at this stage.

The website shows it as being offered in both long and short actions. Weighs in at 6.25 lbs. Looks like it could be a winner if the street price is right.

HANDYMAN
01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I was told by my friend that works at Ruger that the action is the same on all calibers. There is no Short or Long action.

starmac
01-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I was told by my friend that works at Ruger that the action is the same on all calibers. There is no Short or Long action.

I am pretty sure I have read that somewhere in a review.

Ben
01-26-2012, 09:58 PM
There is no Short or Long action.

There is a good thing associated with that......If you get the rifle in 308 Win., you shouldn't have a problem with rounds that won't go into the magazine when you seat those long nose 311284's and 299's way out.

Four Fingers of Death
01-26-2012, 10:47 PM
The one length action is a cost cutting exercise, Tikkas are all definetly the one length and Savage Edge/Axis are as well I think.

starmac
01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
With the one action and the savage type barrel, it should be easy, simple and quick to go from a 243 to a 30/06 or anywhere in between.
Now where is the lefty version.

Jailer
01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm sure a lefty won't be too far behind. I bet anything they are just waiting to see market response to them before they jump in with both feet. I'm betting they will have another winner on their hands with this one.

I'm really kicking myself for not buying Ruger stock back in 12-08 when I was watching it and it was around $11.30/share.

lead chucker
01-27-2012, 04:07 AM
I would like to get one in a youth model for My wife a 12-12.5 length of pull would be nice. A stock option would be useful. CVA does that with there scout rifle.

Bodydoc447
01-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I handled one today in .30-06. NIce rifle priced at $349.00 on the shelf. Trigger was okay and is adjustable. I'll be getting one for my son in a few months.

Doc

Four Fingers of Death
01-28-2012, 12:13 AM
I handled one today in .30-06. NIce rifle priced at $349.00 on the shelf. Trigger was okay and is adjustable. I'll be getting one for my son in a few months.

Doc

Thats a lot of rifle for not that much money! I have replaced most of my odd rifles with Remington 700SPS rifles. If the Ruger had of been out then, they might have got a run.

Barstooler
01-28-2012, 12:19 AM
I did get to shoot one today in 30-06 my favorite caliber. He had a Burris 3x9 on it and it shot real nice. between the 5 of us we put 200rds through it in about an hour.

With a barrel break in of 1 shot, clean, 1 shot, clean etc for the first 20 rounds, those last 180 rounds must have been rapid fire!:coffee:

Barstooler

Four Fingers of Death
01-28-2012, 12:36 AM
With a barrel break in of 1 shot, clean, 1 shot, clean etc for the first 20 rounds, those last 180 rounds must have been rapid fire!:coffee:

Barstooler

I think if you are about to run 200 through in an hour running the barrel in wouldn't be much of a consideration. 200x 30/06 in an hour??? Smokin!

My run in is clean/shoot one round/ clean for the first 5 shots, 5x3 shot groups with a clean between each group, then 5x shot groups with a clean between until 50 rounds is reached. Then I like to clean every 20 shots or so. By the time you get to the second or third 3x shot group, the barrel is getting a lot easier to clean. PITA, but seems to have some benefits.