PDA

View Full Version : derimming unannealed.22

arjacobson
01-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Are some of you guys having luck derimming without annealing? I had a bunch of trouble with annealed brass and out of sheer frustration ran one that was hard.. It ran PERFECT... I went ahead and did 2-3 hundred last night without much trouble at all.. Not much sticking-no tear outs-only had one that had a small rip on the end. Now should I anneal before pointing or just run them as is?

Reload3006
01-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I never anneal until after deriming.

MIBULLETS
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I second that. I tried it once because others said it was easier. Not with my die. It was about twice as hard. If you look real hard, I found a place on Corbin's website and in one of his books where he specifically says making jackets from rimfire brass is the exception to the rule of annealing first.

Utah Shooter
01-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I never anneal until after deriming.

Yup. Never anneal first.

arjacobson
01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
That is exactly what I found out..Ok next step.....lol

Grandpas50AE
01-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Same here as the rest of you guys. As a matter of fact, most of the ones for general plinking get formed without annealing, and the only ones that get annealed are the one I core-bond.

newcastter
01-07-2012, 02:50 PM
What about magnum cases do you guys anneal them before derimming?

Utah Shooter
01-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Same here as the rest of you guys. As a matter of fact, most of the ones for general plinking get formed without annealing, and the only ones that get annealed are the one I core-bond.

Ok dumb questing here but how do you core bond your cores?

Reload3006
01-07-2012, 03:15 PM

I do it by using soldering flux take a Q tip and swab some flux in the jacket put in your uniformed clean core and use a torch and melt it you have a bonded core.....

Now here is the big and I mean Big warning.. Clean Clean Clean your boolits before you go any where or do anything. because the salts in the flux will rust your dies Badly even just over night ... so Make sure you thoroughly wash the bonded boolits and spray down your dies with a rust preventative

dont ask me how I know

MIBULLETS
01-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I bond the same way, but I boil them in water and baking soda to neutralize the acids in the flux after.

MIBULLETS
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I have never derimed 22 mag cases but I assume the procedure would work the same. The thing about 22 mag cases is they are a little bigger and the brass is thicker. They won't work in some derimming dies with really close dimensions between the die and punch.

Grandpas50AE
01-07-2012, 09:42 PM

One small drop of Corbin core bond one the core and put the core in the jacket (now de-rimmed 22lr). I have a fire-brick I drilled with a masonry bit to make a stable platform for this to sit in, and then heat each with a propane torch until no more flux steam emanates from the molten core. Let cool, wash in baking soda water and the rinse. Drying can be done with a hair dryer, but I usually let them sit in the Texas sun for an hour or two. Then core seat, point form and done.

newcastter
01-08-2012, 11:19 AM
One small drop of Corbin core bond one the core and put the core in the jacket (now de-rimmed 22lr). I have a fire-brick I drilled with a masonry bit to make a stable platform for this to sit in, and then heat each with a propane torch until no more flux steam emanates from the molten core. Let cool, wash in baking soda water and the rinse. Drying can be done with a hair dryer, but I usually let them sit in the Texas sun for an hour or two. Then core seat, point form and done.

So core seating and point forming wont break loose the bond?

MIBULLETS
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Nope, they become chemically bonded. You can't hardly tear them apart with pliers.

Grandpas50AE
01-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Nope, they become chemically bonded. You can't hardly tear them apart with pliers.

Correct. The few my wife used on deer penetrated to the far side of the deer after going through a few vertebrae, and retained weight was 90% of original mass. The jacket was peeled back about half way down the ogive, and the jacket and lead were still bonded together. It is a great, tough little bullet.