PDA

View Full Version : I finaly got my very first custom mold. Tom does good work.

MBTcustom
01-05-2012, 11:04 PM
I am impressed by the attention to detail that Tom at accurate molds gives his products! Tom made me this single cavity mold per my specifications for $92 delivered.
I believe this is the best quality mold that I now own with the exception of my H&G.
I just had to post pictures.
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_1996.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_1998.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_1997.jpg
We'll see how she does tomorrow!

high standard 40
01-05-2012, 11:11 PM
That is one fine looking mold. I have a new one on order with him as well. I hope it gets here soon.

MBTcustom
01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
The last details on this mold were worked out with Tom via e-mail on Chrismas day. The mold arrived in the mail today, so that means that 10 days ago this mold was a raw piece of brass bar on Toms rack. That's 10 days delivery on a one-off special built mold. I can tell you as a machinist, thats impressive!

Mk42gunner
01-06-2012, 12:06 AM
That man does some beautiful work. I am going to have to order one of his molds, if only to admire the craftsmanship.

Robert

longbow
01-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Tom does GREAT work and has excellent service.

Longbow

geargnasher
01-06-2012, 01:45 AM
TOLD ya, wait 'til you cast with it! Degrease the cavity well and preheat/cool it a couple of times before casting, that helps make your first session a happy one.

Gear

pmer
01-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Yea I'm spoiled, I have 3 of his molds and the last one is a aluminum 4 cavity that drops 2 different 32 Cal boolits for the 32 Winchester. I've got to try them both now and in reduced loads and they are shooting very good.

zuke
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Link please!

MBTcustom
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Here you go. http://www.accuratemolds.com/
Just do yourself a favor for S&G. Pick one of his boolit profiles, and go through the ordering process without ordering yet. You will get a true appreciation for how cheap he is for what you get. I mean base price for a custom aluminum mold is $73.
Not the kind of thing you just buy willy-nilly but definitely not out of reach even for a poor feller like me!
He will make you a mold out of aluminum brass or iron.
He charges nothing extra for custom design work.
He will make you a mold that has different cavities in the same block for an extra $15 per hole!
When you go through the ordering process, he asks you what size you need the mold to cast with what alloy you will be using!
everything about doing business with Tom at Accurate Molds is a wonderful experience. He makes something very hard, look very easy, and delivers at a price that the average Jo can afford. And the products he sells are of superb quality such that will last a lifetime.

Spokerider
01-06-2012, 02:29 PM
How do you cvustomize the mold on the Accurate mold selection program?
It appears that you need to start with a mold design from his catalog and go from there......but I can't figure out how to make the changes to the boolit design.....boolit weight, nose length, meplat, lube groove changes, etc.

Can you even change any of these paramters, like can be done on Dan's Mountain Man Mold design program?

geargnasher
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
You can either select an existing design, or draw up your own (or describe it or describe modifications you'd like to an existing cataloged design) and email it to Tom. He'll handle the drafting. There isn't any design software like Mountain Molds uses, but when you order you can specify certain parameters like alloy, diameter, base, and a few others I don't remember.

Essentially if you want something different than in the catalog, hash it out with Tom via email, he'll add the design to the catalog as a generic caliber (like "45" or "31") for you to look at, and if you like it, when you order it, you get to specify the exact driving band size, alloy you'll use, and add some notes in the note field. If you don't like it, ask him to change it.

Gear

MBTcustom
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Geargnasher is right on. I just e-mailed tom to get some further information and he designed boolit # 36-215M based on our conversation! Almost while we were swapping e-mails! I didnt end up going with it, but dang! And being that the design that he comes up with is based on intelligent design between a shooter with a specific rifle, and a moldmaker, instead of guesswork on the shooters part, I feel that his is a better system. He told me how to measure the throat of my rifle, explained what I was measuring and how it effected boolit performance, and tried to make me as informed as possible before I dropped my money.:holysheep

Pigslayer
01-06-2012, 05:46 PM
You guys are making me sick. Waiting on mine!

Spokerider
01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for clarifying the custom order question.
I have a carbine with specific boolit requirements and none of the catalog choices fits the bill.

cbrick
01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Ok goodsteel, enough tip toe'in around . . . How do you really feel about Accurate Molds?

Hhmmm . . .

Rick

MBTcustom
01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_2003.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_2004.jpg
How would you feel?
Aint they purdy?
I ordered the mold saying that I would like the driving bands to be .360. They cast @ .3612
I mentioned that the bore of my rifle is .350. The nose riding section is .3499
The gas checks slip on easily and dont need an alignment tool to get them on the base of the boolit, but they crimp on tight and cant be pried off with the fingernail and they cant be spun with fingers.
Tom named the company what he did for a reason.

cbrick
01-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Don't get exceited, it was a joke. :mrgreen:

Rick

6.5 mike
01-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Need a mould for my 35 whelen, what alloy did you use & what weight is it ? Your specs are just about right for mine.

MBTcustom
01-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I used 96/2/2 for alloy, the weight is 207.7 grains.