PDA

View Full Version : New Shooter to Double Rifles!

AkMike
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
My step son and his lovely wife have been visiting us during the holidays from Ukraine. Today is their last day here so the women went $hopping and the men went shooting!
I taught him the basics about loading and had him do a few cast boolits by himself. Then we went to the local range to try them out.
He was an officer in the Army there so he was familiar with the basics of firearm safety and handleing of the rifles.

BUT... The AK-47 is NOT the same as touching off big doubles.
The "grin factor" went off the charts when he touched off the first pair (that he built)from my Searcy 450 NE. Then it went up a couple of steps when he shot the 600 NE! After that we stepped it down a few notches and he shot the Chapuis 9.3X74R and the 1870's Lyell 500 BPE. Then we finished it with the grand old 1880's Alex Henry 577/500 BPE.
He had fun but I know I enjoyed it much more.
I suspect that his shoulder will be tender for a few days but the memories will last much longer.

Love Life
01-05-2012, 10:22 PM
I think you shot a 20 pound pot worth. Sounds like a great time.

smoked turkey
01-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I love shooting but the "grin factor" turns into a "grimace factor" after dozen or so rounds of that hard kickin stuff. Sounds like you had a super time. Wish I'd been there to enjoy only a few rounds myself.

AkMike
01-06-2012, 04:11 PM
We put them on the big bird headed home early yhris am and he did mention that there was a black and blue area on his shoulder. But he was smiling about it. :D
I sent him home with a dummy round from the 577/500 3 1/8th inch rifle for his desk.
Something that his co-workers will be in awe of he says.