PDA

View Full Version : Tempilstiks

Circuit Rider
01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Can someone give me some info on using one? I purchased a 650 deg. stick from a welder supply today and the sales guy thought it might have been on the shelf too long and not be any good. I tried to mark on a case and it was flaky. Wouldn't mark like a crayon. Thanks, CR

Russel Nash
01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
we're trying to anneal brass?

I think it would probably be better to go with ....I think it is called Tempil Lac. It comes out of a bottle kinda like fingernail polish....the cap contains a little brush. you brush a stripe on, let it dry, then put the heat to it, and when it reaches a particular color it has met the correct temperature.

KYCaster
01-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah, what Russell said.

You use the stick on a hot piece, it will melt immediately if the piece is at or above the stated temp.

It takes some practice to learn to use them effectively and you'll get the most consistent results by having one for slightly lower temp and another for slightly higher temp. (625, 650, 675)

They don't go bad sitting on the shelf.

Jerry

jblee10
01-05-2012, 11:46 PM
What are you trying to do? Try Imperial Case Wax. It is great stuff. I love it for wildcat rounds, and everything else. I hardly ever anneal anymore.

Daddyfixit
01-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Can someone give me some info on using one? I purchased a 650 deg. stick from a welder supply today and the sales guy thought it might have been on the shelf too long and not be any good. I tried to mark on a case and it was flaky. Wouldn't mark like a crayon. Thanks, CR

We used them alot in the marine industry. They don't have a shelf life.
Two ways to use them. put a mark on your item then alow it to heat up, when it gets to said temp it will melt. The other way is to mark item after it's to temp and if at temp it melts. as said you buy different temp sticks and use them in a "melt or no melt" application.
Made by TEMPO Products and now out-dated. Worked fairly good to check powerhead temps on an outboard but would be a poor choise alloy casting temps.
maybe to check mold temp but it leaves behind an ugly mark

dromia
01-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Tempilsticks and Tempilac are generaly used in handloading for annealing cases to ensure the brass doesn't get over or under heated.

I use both, the sticks for a quick fix on the case shoulder and yes it does flake a bit and doesn't adhere to the brass all that well but a quick three or four scraps round the shoulder leaves enough to see the change.

I use the lacquer for more critical work with a couple of 650 lines dowwn the shoulder and some lower temp stuff on the base to ensure I don't anneal the case head.

I have never heard of the sticks having a shelf life and some of the ones I have have been with me for years and I notice no degradation. The lacquer will harden in the bottles once opened so be sure to buy some thinners along with the lacquer.

Recluse
01-06-2012, 10:36 AM
My annealing method for the past twenty or more years is a bit simpler and cheaper.

I turn off the lights in my shop but leave just enough ambient light to see what I'm doing. Fire up the torch, twirl the brass in my fingers while running the torch flame over the neck, and the moment I see the brass begin to change color, I drop it in the pan of water below.

:coffee:

Circuit Rider
01-14-2012, 10:18 AM
dromia, cured the flaking by wetting the tip of the stick. I was able to mark the neck and down onto the shoulder very well. The mark melted on the neck but not on the shoulder, using 650 degree stick. Had the case in the flame about 3 to 4 seconds on an annealer built similar to JMorris machine. Thank you Gents for all the input. CR

dromia
01-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Glad its working for you mate. :-D

Shiloh
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
My annealing method for the past twenty or more years is a bit simpler and cheaper.

I turn off the lights in my shop but leave just enough ambient light to see what I'm doing. Fire up the torch, twirl the brass in my fingers while running the torch flame over the neck, and the moment I see the brass begin to change color, I drop it in the pan of water below.

:coffee:

I do the same way.

Tried the tempil stik and Templaq. A hassle. Think I found this technique here or on the LASC website. My annealed Krag and '06 brass has a bluish section and looks like military 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 brass.

Shiloh