PDA

View Full Version : So you have a leaky lee pot?

kweidner
01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I got tired of my leaky Lee.... Some combined searching and a little bit of my technique.

I decided to do a write up for those that are tired of the drip. 30 minutes is all it took and no more drip art!

equipment needed

Leaky pot (if it says lee this should be easy to acquire :kidding:)
1/2 inch drill
lapping compound (I used wheeler engineering from midway)
Drill bit that will fit in the hole in spout (I used 3/32)
1/4 inch socket or nut driver
paper towels
Q-tips
old flathead screwdriver
sand paper 200 grit

1 Drain the pot

2 remove handle assembly with 1/4 inch socket

3 set plunger/seat aside

4 clean pot well using old screwdriver to scrape the crud. Finish clean with 200 grit sandpaper.

5 use small drill bit to clean out hole. I did this twisting bit with fingers.

6 clean plunger/seat with same method as pot.

The Process

At this point you are ready to help the plunger seat better. When I set mine in the pot down in the recess I could still see light around it on the top. There my friend is the problem. Chuck plunger in the drill, cover end (small tip)with lapping compound (I used 220 grit). lap tip into recess using drill. make sure to use close to the same angle as it sits in the pot normally. A little over or under angle won't make a huge difference. Lap for about 20 seconds using pretty good pressure into the nipple. Stop occasionally to coat with more compound. Repeat lap. Clean all the gunk out with Qtips and the small bit. Make sure to be thorough cleaning nipple or it will give a false positive when you check your work. Check your work after cleaning it by allowing plunger to rest on rim of pot and the lapped end down in recess. Fill pot with water. Weight of plunger if lapped enough will not let water through. If it drips you need more lapping. Pour out water, dry with paper towel and repeat the process. It took mine 3 times. When it no longer leaks with weight of plunger you have a sealed pot. Pour out water and dry with paper towel. Reassemble handle and make sure you get the groove of plunger into handle assembly correctly. Drop in some lead, fire her up, residual water will evaporate before lead melts so no worries there. No more lead drip art.

It only took me about thirty minutes. I should have done it right after I got it. Now when I let go of the handle it actually stops!

Hope it helps

snuffy
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Which pot, the 10 pound or the 20? Or would it work for both?

kweidner
01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
mine is the ten pounder. never played with the larger one. they look to be pretty close online. looks like the plunger is perpendicular to the spout on 20 instead of angled like the ten. Need to lap straight instead of angled. I just looked at both individual parts online and the plunger is a little bit different shape but should lap into valve just fine. if it leaked I would certainly wouldn't be afraid to try it.

car16
01-05-2012, 07:55 PM
i drained mine and used a wire brush to clean all the trash out . i made the mistake of melting wheel weights in it

Mk42gunner
01-06-2012, 12:21 AM
No more drip art! Say it ain't so..

Kweidner's was a ten pound pot, I did this to my 4-20 before I even plugged it in the first time. I need to do it again, I am starting to get a few drips.

Mine drips slow enough that it is self limiting when I am ladle casting, eventually the drip art gets high enough to plug the nozzle.

The vavle rod on a 4-20 is vertical, so keep that in mind while lapping it. I didn't test mine with water, although it sounds like a good idea.

Robert

01-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Casting is boring without pot art, here's some of mine: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58240

However, the drip has since been fixed and casting is, once again, boring.

geargnasher
01-06-2012, 02:00 AM
462, I can't believe I missed that thread! funny stuff right there.

Lapping the Pro 4-20 is as simple and effective as described in the OP for the 10-lb pot.

I have a tip for cleaning the pot: Drain it, but leave it plugged in and on a low setting, like 4 or so, remove the screw that adjusts the pintle (20 lb pot) so you can pull the pintle out. Do this with a screwdriver and pliers 'cause it will be hot! Scrape the entire pot liner thoroughly with a wood stick, a small paint stir stick is perfect. The wood works like a Magic Eraser on dross and oxide crust stuck to the sides and bottom. If you have access to compressed air, blow the molten lead bits out of the spout from the inside with a blow gun. Be careful. If you don't have compressed air handy, just use a metal tube of any sort and blow it out like shooting a spit wad. Wear face protection. This will get ALL of the lead out of the spout and make lapping the pintle easier when the pot is cooled down.

Gear

jimkim
01-06-2012, 03:38 AM
You could just spend a mere $322.00 extra dollars and get an RCBS.

zuke
01-06-2012, 11:16 AM

:dung_hits_fan::drinks:

Mk42gunner
01-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Nah, I got mine for $80.00. Second hand, at an auction.

Robert

Hardcast416taylor
01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Nah, I got mine for $80.00. Second hand, at an auction.

Robert

Picked up an RCBS pot full of lead at an estate auction for $40, nobody seemed to know what it was. I kept the WW that was in the pot then gave the pot to a disabled friend for his casting chores, had to ship it to Pa which why I kept the WW.Robert

pdawg_shooter
01-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I fixed my drip-o-matic too, welded the d**** thing shut! Get better bullets with a ladle anyway.

Cowboy T
01-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Drip art! Hey, here's an idea. Take some of it and sell it at high dollar to a political progressive. All you'd have to do is claim it's recycled material (true) and that it's modern art! :-D

jimkim
01-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Drip art! Hey, here's an idea. Take some of it and sell it at high dollar to a political progressive. All you'd have to do is claim it's recycled material (true) and that it's modern art! :-D

I've been thinking the same thing, but with a twist. Call it "rehabilitated bullets" tell them you took evil killing tools and made an object of beauty out of it. They'd lap that **** up. Just be sure to charge an outrageous price to make it both believable and to "help fund you're crusade against violence".

It edited that word? What's up with that? I didn't even use the s-word it started with a cr?