PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of this, 3 hole Aneat's press

20nickels
01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I want a heavy duty do-all press for reloading all calibers up to 50 BMG and have settled on the scaled up Walnut hill style press. I want to eventually get into swaging. The U.P. North fits the bill. So why do I think I need to build one double wide?
Three holes
Three Rams
Four guide rods
Just basically double the width of this press and add two more holes for a total of three. Still only two toggle links one left & right.
http://mattmorgan.org/cb_press_v2.pdf
It would be wide enough (24") to keep two levers (one for each hand) on and stand in between, I have the real estate on my reloading stand.

Swagers. Is there any gain to having a press that can do two or three operations at the same time or is this just a case of redneck hot rod bigger faster more HP syndrome? :|

MightyThor
01-05-2012, 05:05 PM
The limiting factor on any of this stuff is that you only have 1 brain and two hands. Thus at any given moment you are really only going to perform one single task. Multiple set ups that allow you to do a task without readjusting dies makes sense. (multiple presses dedicated to one task, or turrets that maintain die settings etc) A set up that works 1/2 of the mechanism or more without performing a function is wasted energy, effort and results in mechanical wear without benefit. Lets face it, a progressive press is pointless if you only ever load one round at a time. How you plan to use your press should dictate your design. On the other hand you should build or buy what you want, and no one really has any right to criticize or complain.

20nickels
01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Good answer Thor. I cannot justify multiple holes for reloading as I will mostly just size brass with the single stage and then it's off to the auto progressive. What got me started is seeing these Dunbar presses with the two holes and then somewhere in the Aneat's press thread somebody made a two hole press. That got me thinking multiple operations in one pull of the arm meant something to swagers though I don't know enough about it, hence the thread. Just making sure I'm not limiting myself. I have a buy/cry once mentality.

gabe123
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I could see going this way if you were doing massive amounts of the exact same thing. Say set up all stations to derim 3 22 cases at the same time. Otherwise it would just be bragging rights to have a unique press. Nothing wrong with that either.

Reload3006
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I think you would be asking for trouble but I can see how it could save you some setup steps. But I can also see how you could seat dirty lubed cores in jackets that would make for some pretty poor Boolits. but there is no reason why it couldnt or shouldnt work.

dragonrider
01-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Unless you have some way of increasing the amount of force applied by the handle I think that you will be reducing the amount exerted on each die as opposed to the amount of exerted on one die. Would be a cool build though. What I think I am trying to say is that the press will produce "X" amount of force, pressure, whatever it's called on one die, on three dies it will be divided among them.

20nickels
01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Unless you have some way of increasing the amount of force applied by the handle I think that you will be reducing the amount exerted on each die as opposed to the amount of exerted on one die. Would be a cool build though. What I think I am trying to say is that the press will produce "X" amount of force, pressure, whatever it's called on one die, on three dies it will be divided among them.

Yes, I have put some thought into that. I'll call the press holes Left, Right, Center. In the case of doing two operations at once the user would probably use the L and R stations and omit center. With a 24" toggle most people should fit comfortably in between the two arms but that is up to the end user. This is where the presses additional width would become a bonus as you could use your non dominant hand and the additional lever to "help" it along and prevent the toggle from twisting. If we are talking about a very strenuous operation then the Center station only would be appropriate. In other words, evenly distribute your work load.
If anything this a fun subject but now I must talk about viability. :D

My main goal in swaging is to make long range rifle projectiles from pistol brass, specifically .30 cal 150 and 175 ish gr and if adding extra stations equals a signifigant production increase then that may be the tipping point. Less time producing and more time shootin'. If not then that's okay as well because the dies are not cheap and I'm sure I'd very happy with a single station press.