PDA

View Full Version : Cubed foam for gun cases

gefiltephish
01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Both of my rifle cases have really wimpy egg crate type foam in them. This is especially undesirable in the 2 gun case, as one gun just slides into the other when the case is picked up. I was looking for a source of cubed foam aka pick n pluck. I did find this http://www.caseclub.com/pick-and-pluck-foam.htm

After pricing this stuff, maybe a pelican case isn't such a bad deal after all.

I was wondering if anyone has found a better source or just has comments about this stuff. High density or standard polyurethane?

felix
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
High density is what you want, typically blackish/grayish in color, at fabric stores selling cushion materials. Cut out with an electric thanksgiving turkey knife. ... felix

gefiltephish
01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Funny, I work for a fabric store chain. We have the typical yellowish soft stuff, and we do have some medium density.

Now that I think about it, I have one of those "space age" mattress toppers that's going to be junked. Recycling!

Pepe Ray
01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
IMO (experience) foam of ANY kind will not keep two arms from slamming each other when handled by baggage handlers. Each one must be secured individually.
Foam is OK for within the home or sliding behind the seat of the van.
Pepe Ray

Tatume
01-06-2012, 08:24 AM
My institution buys lots of computers and computer equipment. The packing includes fitted foam structures that positively locate the computer inside the shipping box. This stuff is cut and glued, not the foamed-in-place or paper mache stuff that was common a few years ago.

I bring home chunks of this stuff and cut blocks that I then use in my gun cases. To do so, place the gun in the case where you want it, and put blocks of material everywhere you don't want the gun to go. If you don't want two guns to touch each other, put two blocks between them, one at each end. If you don't want the muzzle to touch the gun case, put a block there.

It is easy enough that I now do this even when just driving to the gun club. When I get there, I just open the case, lift the gun out, and close the lid. The material stays in place until I'm ready to replace the gun. The process gives almost perfect protection, up to the structural capability of the case itself, and costs nothing.

Take care, Tom