PDA

View Full Version : Gas check size question

Duckhunter
01-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I have a partial box of Lyman gas checks. These are brass colored checks and came in a Lyman box. My problem is that the box is so old that the caliber or size is faded away. Can someone tell me how to properly determine the size boolit that these fit? I have measured a few of them and they run .282 on the inside and .307 to .311 on the outside. I believe them to be for 30 caliber boolits but I am unsure. I don't cast for 30 caliber so I don't have a boolit to try them on.

WILCO
01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I believe them to be for 30 caliber boolits.

I would agree.

Sonnypie
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I just measured a couple of "For Examples" I keep for reference.
Hornady 30 cal copper Gas Check.
OD of check = .322"
Boolit diameter for check = .287"
And I already know the metal thickness is .017".

So my best guess is you have 30 caliber gas checks.

Now you have a dilemma... :shock:
You must buy a rifle in 30 caliber, so you can use them.
Or you must give them to someone who can use them.
But you mustn't let them sit around until the mice and rats make a nest out of the box. :bigsmyl2:

Aren't you so fricken glad you asked? [smilie=l:

ReloaderFred
01-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Sonnypie,

You live at Wayside, don't you?................

Fred

Sonnypie
01-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Sonnypie,

You live at Wayside, don't you?................

Fred

No Fred, Wayside (Peter Pritches Detention Center (http://www.lasdhq.org/divisions/custody/pdc-north/pdcn_location-map.html)) is a ways away from where I live.
I visited it once. The wife's little Brother was on a State paid vacation there once.
And I know one of the Deputy Sheriff Trainers there. The wife use to babysit their youngest. We used to go camping/dirt bike riding with them.
The only thing safer than your 45 ACP in easy reach, is having your 45 AND a Sheriff in the group.

But that's as close as I've come to having anything to do with wayside. :confused:

And I'm way to smart to get caught. ;)

ReloaderFred
01-06-2012, 01:04 AM
I was joking about your post. I used to shoot in pistol matches at Wayside, plus all over the rest of Calif. and Nevada. I retired from the county just north of you.

Fred

Sonnypie
01-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Well now, if I could live at the range there, I probably would. :lol: