PDA

View Full Version : Old shotgun malfunctioning

fatelk
01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
How often should one clean a semi-auto shotgun for proper functioning?

I recently picked up an old Remington Sportsman 48. I took it apart, cleaned it good and put on a light coat of oil. The first time I took it out it went through a box of shells like a champ.

The next time it started to malfunction, not ejecting the spent hull every time. It got worse to where it's efectively a bolt action. I used a couple different types of cheap target ammo.

A friend told me he has the same problem with his old recoil-operated shotgun (not sure what model), and now he just cleans and oils it every time he takes it out.

Is this normal, or is there something else that might be wrong?

wiljen
01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Try gently sanding the mag tube with fine emery cloth and coating it with motor oil or ATF. Then re-assemble it. That has worked for me on 11-48s that were finicky. Also know that you about have to lean into these guns as they will not cycle if you don't. Trying to hip shoot one of these without something solid behind it will result in the behavior you describe about every time.

williamwaco
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
My first "grown up" shotgun was a Remington 11-48 20 gauge.
I used it for dove and quail hunting.

I only cleaned it when it got too dusty to work.
This was Texas in September. It was DRY and DUSTY in those plowed grain fields with the wind blowing.

That worked out to about once every four or five hunts. Probably about five or ten boxes.

Reload3006
01-05-2012, 03:29 PM
another thing you haven't said is what loads your using the cheap **** at wally world probably will not reliably cycle your gun. also the action spring may be weak.

fatelk
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks Wiljen, I will try that next time I go out.

The ammo I used was mostly S&B, but I also tried Estate and Remington (old box with blue hulls). It seemed like the Remington was the worst for not cycling. It was good weather with no dust or mud, so I don't think it got real dirty. Once in a while it would throw a live round out on the ground for some reason. I would load it with four rounds, shoot three, and find the last one on the ground at my feet.?

It also seemed to be worse for a friend who tried it, but I figured it was probably because I held it tighter.

Storydude
01-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Are you sure you have the recoil wedge set for FIELD and not SLUG?

wiljen
01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I used to have an 11-48 with the cocking handle attached to the triggerguard with mono-filament so when the thing kicked it out I could find it. That has been my biggest problem with the 11-48.

375RUGER
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
I would say very often. When I was young I bought a new Winchester 1400, and always carried a can of spray cleaner/lube in the field cause the trigger group would not tolerate any fouling.

izzyjoe
01-09-2012, 10:48 PM
i love the old recoil opperated shotgun's, browning's, rem's, and savage's. you might want to make sure that you have the friction ring set up for light loads. they can be changed for heavy or light loads. i was taught to just barely apply a light coat of oil on the mag tube, and i mean light. cause if you have to much oil on it the friction ring cannot function properly. i have still have them stove pipe once in awhile if set up properly. maybe just the ammo, but an old timer showed me alot about them. he told me to use winchester shells, cause they had a better crimp and would not hang up as bad. and that has seem to work pretty good for me, and him too! good luck.