PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with lube?

DavZee
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I've got all the ingredients to make some lube. I've got the pans for a double boiler so I don't burn it. Now after I cook it all up, what do I do with it until I'm ready to use it on some boolits? Do I pour it into a mold like lead and make ingots? Let it harden in the bowl? I don't know :veryconfu

Reload3006
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
do what ever is most convenient for you. Do you have a lube sizer? make some molds and pour it into the molds. do you plan to pan lube? make ingots or just leave it in the pan.

bowfin
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Are you going to pan lube (stand the boolits up on their bases in a pan and pour the lube into it) or are you going to lube using a sizer?

If it is the first method, then any size or shape should work, as long as it is in amounts that are easy to handle.

FirstBrit
01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I've got all the ingredients to make some lube. I've got the pans for a double boiler so I don't burn it. Now after I cook it all up, what do I do with it until I'm ready to use it on some boolits? Do I pour it into a mold like lead and make ingots? Let it harden in the bowl? I don't know :veryconfu

If you don't want to go to the trouble of making hollow lube sticks directly with the aid of 1" tubes and wooden dowels, may I suggest you simply store in 1/2 lb. jam jars (glass vessels with screw lids). When the time comes for you to use it in your lube/szer, just take one of the jars and stand it in your double boiler until lube is fully melted then pour directly in to lube/sizer. Naturally after moving the cover plate and piston. Replace the piston while lube is still soft so as to center the treaded bolt in lube sizer. And wait until lube fully set before sizing bullets. Some lubes can be also successfully melted with the aid of the micro-wave depends on your lube recipe.

Best regards,

Adrian - Germany.

fryboy
01-05-2012, 02:00 PM
what do you do with it ??/ use it up !!!!!! lolz i make both stix and umm cakes , for the cakes i use a bread loaf pan ( but any suitable one will work ) when hard i pop out and wrap in wax paper and store in a old fridge until needed ( i do the same with stix ) when i use lube cakes i just fill a measuring cup full and melt then pour as needed ( either into a sizer or a pan lubing pan , there's really no wrong way to store it as long as it's sealed or protected from dust,dirt etc

geargnasher
01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Like Fryboy said, make sticks, cakes, ingots, whatever. Pour it into some sort of mould, I think the silcone pans are the best because they remain non-stick and the ingots pop right out.

Gear

Ben
01-05-2012, 02:22 PM
DavZee

I coated a $1.00 aluminum pan with some PAM & poured my Ben's Red into it. Let it cool.
Placed it in the freezer for a few hrs., took a sharp utility knife and cut the lube into strips that fit nicely into zip lock gallon size freezer bags.

The lube can be stored in these bags for a long time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0002-29.jpg

daschnoz
01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I pour mine into those little 3" diameter GladWare containers. They're inexpensive and easy to store.

DavZee
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the great ideas guy. I'll be going to the dollar store after work tonight!

Sonnypie
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM

No such thing as a stupid question.
But some come close.

Since I use a crock pot, and hot dip my boolits, I just leave her where she lives.
But gad-zooks man, there must be a million ways to store your boolit lube! :lol:

autopilotmp
01-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I poured mine into cheapo ice cube trays and stuck in freezer til hard and then drop them out into a tupperware container until i need to add more to my pan (I pan lube) this allows me to add a "cube" at a time until I'm at the right depth to catch the lube groove. whatever works for you.