PDA

View Full Version : Protective wear question

famdoc2892
01-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Do you wear all leather, face shield, steel-toe boots for smelting/casting, or have another favorite outfit? Haven't sprung for the full-length welder's apron yet, and would like a reasonable alternative.

Westwindmike
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I wear a cotton "shop apron" like you would have in a wood shop. It seems to protect me from the splashes that sometimes happen. I wear a full face shield and the leather/cloth gloves. As far as shoes, just wear some. No flip flops while casting. LOL.

jimkim
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm not an expert and don't have a fancy rig. I wear an old pair of 100% cotton jogging pants over what ever I have on at the time. Over that I wear a heavy canvas field jacket and a pair of welding gloves. I also wear my steel-toe boots My eyeglasses are prescription safety glasses so that part is covered as well. Never underestimate the importance of safety glasses. Mine have saved my eyes on at least two occasions. There are probably more, but if they do their job, you don't really notice unless it's something big.

bobthenailer
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
For smelting & casting , i use saftey glasses, leather gloves, long sleeve & long pants for outer garmets & leather shoes. and a fan to blow the smoke away when smelting & a exhaust fan when casting indoors. others may use more equipment ?
I belive that safe pratices are very important, to not having a accident the most ive ever had was a small pot explosion when water was ententred inavertanly as it was on the lead being added so now i preheat the ingots prior to adding to pot and dont add raw ww to the pot when its hot, i also at times get some lead spatter from the leaking spout hitting the base for the pot , i now use a stainless condiment cup to cantain the drippings .
I may be very lucky ? but thats all ive ever used for saftey equipment and ive smelted a lot of lead ect & have made over 400,000 cast bullets.

Wayne Smith
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Blue Jeans and socks and closed shoes always. Usually a long sleeved shirt but in the summer I will often wear a short sleeved shirt, cotton or wool, not artificial fiber. Prescription glasses on all the time so that's taken care of. I've often gotten small splashes of lead on my pants and not noticed it until I come in from casting. Only once did I wear an open topped type of shoe, dropped a sprue and, you guessed it, right into the shoe! Sneakers are adequate. Lead is cooling and hardening as it flies through the air, still molten enough to stick but not enough to hurt natural fiber. I have had specks hit my bare arms with out serious burns, but any significant amount will leave burns.

I use welder's gloves on at least one hand, the one that catches the hot sprue and puts it back into my pot. I use an open pot and ladle so this is not an issue.

376Steyr
01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Safety glasses, safety glasses, safety glasses! I'd rather cast in the nude with glasses on than in a full firefighter's suit without them.

Jammer Six
01-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I'd rather cast in the nude with glasses on than in a full firefighter's suit without them.
As long as you don't post pictures!

:|

Mk42gunner
01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Going full out with leather welding gear is not absolutely necessary. I do believe thta it is better to wear natural fiber clothes (cotton or wool) instead of synthetics.

I don't wear glasses, yet, so I use a full face shield when casting and smelting.

Leather boots, not synthetics.

I use regular leather gloves, I found that I lose too much sensitivity with welders gloves.

Robert

Jammer Six
01-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I wear glasses. After a lifetime in construction, I've always spent extra (hundreds of dollars extra) for safety lenses.

Saved my eyes three times. Once from wood, once from a nail gun, once from acid.

I don't see how anyone can make it to the age of 40 with both eyes without something between their eyes and the cold, cruel world...

blikseme300
01-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I wear my prescription glasses and use welders gloves when casting. All my other clothes are cotton or wool. Leather shoes are a must. Synthetic clothes of any kind are avoided.

Be safe.

Bliksem

ReloaderFred
01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I wear work gloves and a cotton shop apron when casting, along with prescription glasses. In the winter I'll wear long sleeves, but in the summer a short sleeve shirt most of the time. Shoes that cover your whole foot are a must, since gravity will ensure that whatever spills will head for your feet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Bullet Caster
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I usually wear clothes and shoes when I'm casting. Safety glasses are a must. I learned a long time ago about wearing safety glasses when I had to have metal taken out of my eyes on several occassions. I used to build Ford starters and test 'em in a vise. Always when using a stone on the commutator of the armature with the starter running I'd manage to get some sort of metal in my eyes. It's no fun to go to the doctor and have anything removed from the eyes. That's why I say some kinda safety glasses should be worn when casting. I couldn't even imagine gettin' hot lead in my eye! BC

Bret4207
01-06-2012, 07:54 AM
I wear my regular clothes and boots and glasses if I think of it. I cannot imagine why anyone would need steel toed boots for rendering down WW and such or for casting. Don't usually wear gloves either.'

Then again, I don't wear steel toes, chaps and gloves when logging either. I often forget my ears when working on saws and machinery. To each their own.

imashooter2
01-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Cotton or wool pants and shirt, no synthetics. Leather shoes and the pants cuffs have to cover the tops, don't want a disaster spill to be able to get down inside them. Safety glasses and leather gloves.

btroj
01-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Like Bret, is just wear what I am wearing. Never shorts, always pants that go over the top of my shoes. Always glasses.
Gloves and fast shield? Never.

I would wear gloves for sorting wheel weights or stuff like that, more to protect from cuts than anything.

Most important piece of safety equipment should be sitting squarely between you ears. Forget to engage that and you will be sorry.

ChuckS1
01-06-2012, 09:01 AM
LOL, other than my reading glasses, just whatever I have on at the time.

cajun shooter
01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I have more than once in my 40 years had the tinsel fairy visit me because I added lead that was wet. I added wood flakes for fluxing that were damp and I'm sure a few others.
My point is that if I had not had on safety glasses I would be blind for sure.
I for the most part only use two more pieces of safety equipment and that is the long leather apron and gloves. Sometimes only one glove depending on the hand being used.

bmac1949
01-29-2012, 09:17 PM
leather boots, faceshield, natural fiber clothes, long sleeves, respirator and gloves

Wayne Smith
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
leather boots, faceshield, natural fiber clothes, long sleeves, respirator and gloves

You mustlive where its cold to keep a respirator on while casting!

Bret4207
01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
I have always wanted to ask why people wear respirators while casting, but I've never found a tactful way to do it.

geargnasher
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Smelting: Full face shield (only when messing with the pot or pouring ingots), blue jeans, and slip-on leather boots. Usually long sleeved cotton shirt over a tee shirt, and good-fitting mechanic's gloves. One of the biggest hazards seem to be pot or ingot mold explosions which will blast you with a fine spray of molten lead. It cools fast, so light clothes, cap, and FULL face shield are all that's needed to save you just fine. Another risk is somehow spilling the pot on your feet. You need closed boots with jeans or trousers over the tops, but you also need something that you can yank off your feet real fast if you get a heavy dump of lead on them.

Sorting: Heavy Nitrile gloves for sanitary reasons.

Casting: Boxer shorts, leather apron, pointy-toed cowboy boots with the tops taped closed, and a pink Fez with a propeller on top. Oh, and clear safety glasses. It gets hot in Texas.

Gear

Jammer Six
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Casting: Boxer shorts, leather apron, pointy-toed cowboy boots with the tops taped closed, and a pink Fez with a propeller on top. Oh, and clear safety glasses. It gets hot in Texas.
A guy's got to go with what brings him luck.

I tried to get a league started like that here in Seattle.

The Real Men's Speedo Fast Draw Association.

For membership, you have to be over fifty, in either age or waist.

For the finals, you have to wear your choice of shoes and hat and a Speedo.

Nothing else except holster and mag carriers.

And you need to be fairly careful on reloads and holstering.

No, Skeeter, there's no draft in here...

R.M.
01-31-2012, 07:28 PM
I think you just did.

Tar Heel
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM

Gear

I'm waiting for the picture!!![smilie=s: