PDA

View Full Version : NOE 316299 boolit and the M44 M/N

littlejack
01-05-2012, 12:14 AM
I finally made it to the range yesterday and done some testing with my Model 44 Mosin Nagant.
I only shot three different loads per say, Two of the loads were the same, except the seating depth of the boolits was different.
The groups were fired at 50 yards with a good solid bag rest.
I should have, but I did not weigh and segregate the boolits for the same weight. I will do this on my next session.

First load was "the load" 13 grains of Reddot. COAL was 3.050. NO filler.
9 shots, measuring 2.100" wide, and 2.050 verticle. 5 shots in the center of that group that touch a dime.

Second load. 10.5 grains of H.Universal. COAL was 3.070, W/filler.
9 shots, measuring 1.00" wide and 1.650 vertical. 6 shots in the center can be covered with a dime.
Third load. 10.5 grains of H.Universal. COAL was 3.050, .020 shorter than second load.
8 shots, measuring 1.200 wide, and 1.675 vertical. The second and this group are almost identical EXCEPT, there was no cluster of boolits in the center of the total group.
All the loads shot very clean and I had no leading.
I have shot other groups of BOOLITS in this rifle, and it does like them to be seated shallow, and alot of lead up into the throat and bore.
On my next sessions, I will lengthen the COAL of the cartridge and see just how long the rifle likes them.
Anyone have any tips, I would be glad for all the help I can get.
Jack

Dutch4122
01-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Try 13 grains of Unique with the 316299 on one of your future range sessions. Also, I've had better accuracy in the past with my Mosins when the slug is seated as far out as possible. If you can seat it so the nose engraves when chambered then all the better; although that seems to be difficult to do with many of them.

Hope this helps, :mrgreen: