PDA

View Full Version : M/N W/ Lyman 31950 Range report. FINALLY.

littlejack
01-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Well, I bet you fellas that replied on my original post (31950 boolit in a Mosin Nagant), gave up on the Range Report. Well, here it is.
The weather was finally decent enough for me to get to the range and shoot witout my fingers going numb from the cold or trying to shoot through a wall of rain coming down.
The 31950 boolits were randomly picked, and not weighed for voids. DUH, That may help some??????????? Ya think?

My rifle was/is sighted in for my 316299 NOE boolits at 50 yards.
My first 31950 boolits loaded with 3 grains of Reddot, NO filler. Shot under, UNDER
the 50 yard target.
I could see them screaming to the, (under the target) at the speed of Mach Turtle.
I switched to the 25 yard target (to hit paper) and was not impressed with the group.
I didn't even save the target. Approximately 1.5" group. Clean load. Scratch that
one.
Yes, I had to buy a can of Reddot, everybody is getting good results with it. Right?

Next group was 4.5 grains of AA#2. W/filler. These made it to the 50 yard target. The 8 shot group measures 1.6" vertical, and 1.300" wide. Clean load. At least they got there.

Group #3 was 4 grains of Hodgdon Universal. W/filler. The 8 shot group measures 1.400" vertical and 1.200" wide. Lookin a little better. Eh? Clean load.

Group #4 was 4.5 grains of W231. W/filler. The 10 shot group measures 1.6" vertical and 1.100" wide. But wait, In the center of this group, is 6 shots that can be touched with a quarter, and 5 shots of those can be covered by a dime. This is lookin good. The faster the better. This load left the bore absolutly filthy.

Group # 5 is the same as #4. 4.5 grains of W231. W/filler. The 9 shot group measures 1.300" vertical, and .850 wide. But wait, in the center of this group there are 7 shots that can be touched by a quarter and 6 shots that can be covered by a dime. This is lookin even better. It was still a filthy bore.

The boolit has only one small grease groove, but there was no leading that I could see. I sized the boolits to .317 to fit the chamber throat, so I believe this had a definate positive impact on the non leading.
I have all my brass ready to go again, and I am going to slowly speed things up and see if this affects accuracy in a poitive way and leading if any.
This little pip-squeek looks promising, but the recoil may be more than I can stand.
Jack

eniku40
01-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks and keep us posted

Dutch4122
01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the update and good info. Glad to see that somebody else is sizing to .317" as well. I have 6 Mosins and every one of them will swallow a .317" diameter boolit in PRVI brass; not only the two Russian M91/30's, M38, and M59 carbines, but the Finnish M39 and the 1917 Remington Sporter as well.