PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bore slug a Marlin XLR 30/30 yet?

JWK
03-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these guns and using it exclusively for cast bullets and all my hunting. I am getting back into this gun/hunting/shooting/reloading thing after being away for many years. I have never cast my own bullets, however.

So I notice Oregon Trail's 30 caliber bullets go .310 I wonder how this would fit the XLR gun. I've been reading this forum for a long time even though I just registered and know that Marlin's bores can be quite large or oversized.

Anyone know if the aftermarket kit for replacing the cross bolt safety can be had to match the SS action?

Anyone know how the aftermarket trigger would look in this gun?

Maybe when all is said and done I would be better off buying a beater and rebarelling with a more precise chamber and bore? Is this possible? Can you get the ballard style rifling in a blank?

All ideas, opinions, thoughts and suggestions would be helpful to get into this.

I like the idea of shooting all cast. The more I think about it, the more I like it. This gun would be used from squirrels/rabbits to deer and maybe black bear.

Thanks in advance.

JWK
03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
No one? I guess the gun is too new.

NVcurmudgeon
03-13-2007, 06:41 PM
It is generally better to slug YOUR rifle because there is some variation in barrels. The only Marlin .30/30 I have ever slugged was .3082" groove diameter. I size my boolits .310". Most of us have best results with boolits .001" to .002" larger than groove diameter. Marlins with Micro-Groove rifling especially like fat boolits.

6pt-sika
03-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Of late I've been shooting bullets in my 30-30's that were sized and lubed in a .312" die . I started doing that because I have a Lyman 31141 HP and when I ran the bullets thru the .309 or .310 die they would end up bumping the nose . As these bullets are pure WW's .

Since then I have tried the reguler 31141's , Saeco 150 and RCBS 150 thru the same mould with excellent results .

For what its worth I also run all the bullets for the 32-40 and 32 Specials thru a .323" die . And have had no ill effects from them either [smilie=1:

6pt-sika
03-14-2007, 03:53 AM
So I figure I'm not taking much if anything from the bullets in that .312" die , so they should be as good as I can get for the XLR .