PDA

View Full Version : Got my first High Wall

cabezaverde
03-03-2007, 06:29 PM
A buddy and I went to a store about 50 miles away, as he had some store credit he needed to use up and the weather was not scheduled to be anything dandy.

I started looking at the single shots, and they had the exact gun I had been looking at and thinking about ordering from the Buffalo Arms website. At a competitive price.

I ended up coming home with an Uberti 1885 with pistol grip in 30-40 US Army freakin Krag.

3rd one down on this link.
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/SingleShotRifles/1885HighWall.htm

I am psyched. Even got them to throw in a set of dies, and knock some $$ off for a tiny forearm dink.

Off to the range tomorrow to shoot some jack---d bullets, and see how that goes.

I'm not too sure about the factory sights yet, might need to scope it or put a barrel mounted peep on it. The ideal would be a set of blocks that could do double duty as a peep base or scope mount.

Any input on this sight stuff? A straight quality 4x doesn't sound bad either.

This probably sounds really bad, thought about chopping the barrel off and hunting with it.

Four Fingers of Death
03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Nice rifle. If you are going to fit a scope I reckon one of those long tubed old or replica scopes would be the go. They really look the part. Get another rifle to hunt with (Handi rifle or similar?), that is just too pretty. Mick.

cabezaverde
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Mick,

Any idea on a peep site that attaches directly to an octagon barrel?

SharpsShooter
03-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Ya need a proper long range tang and front globe with spirit level. Those are nice rifles and the 30-40 Krag is a fine cast boolit caliber. Sounds like you win all around.

SS

Nrut
03-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Mick,

Any idea on a peep site that attaches directly to an octagon barrel?
This might fit
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=696612 (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=696612)

Jon K
03-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Peep sight on the barrel? That's sacreligious! Get a Tang Sight. High Walls should not look like modern guns.
Just my opinion, it's your gun,but.......................................

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

cabezaverde
03-03-2007, 09:06 PM
man, I just don't know about tang sites. I have heard the horror stories about getting an eye injury, etc.

I am going to shoot the open sights first to see how that goes.

Bent Ramrod
03-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I'd suggest to go with the Lyman or Marble's tang sight also. They're well forward on a long base for Winchester rifles and your thumb will be around the grip behind them when you shoot.

The only actual eye injury story I heard involved the wife of Paul Curtis, outdoor editor and author of "Guns and Gunning," and numerous magazine articles. She was shooting almost straight up at a sheep or goat with a Savage 99 with a tang peep sight. The base of that one goes way back along the receiver with the sight on the rearmost portion of the base, and must have been almost stuck in her eye even before the gun went off. No shooting or safety glasses, of course. It did put her eye out.

I have a tang sight on a Low Wall in .44-40 and a Krag action .30-40 with the cocking piece sight, and have never felt endangered. I'll put the knuckle of my right thumb in my eye from recoil long before the tang sight ever comes close. I do wear glasses, of course.

Some people do put modern scopes on antique or replica rifles, or even receiver peep sights. If you do, and it gives you a lifetime of satisfaction, that will be great. If you do, and get tired of it and want to sell it, it will be a good deal less liquid than it would otherwise. Probably 80% of the people interested in that type rifle will say, "Gee, nice rifle; too bad about that sight."

kodiak1
03-03-2007, 11:56 PM
TANG SIGHT Don't screw up the looks of a work of art man.
Sorry my 2 cents worth.
Ken.

boommer
03-04-2007, 01:16 AM
I have a tang sights on my winchester high wall 45-90 it bucks purdy good you wood have too screw up big time to hurt yourself !!

cabezaverde
03-04-2007, 09:03 AM
At Midway, I am only seeing a Marble sight for this gun. Does anyone know which Lyman will fit?

Who generally has the best prices and service for these sights?

Jon K
03-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Midway has Marbles & Lyman look here

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=9&Categoryid=9470&categorystring=10636***10561***703***9471***

I like the Marbles, because the sights have positive repeatable clicks. My High Wall has a Soule Tang Sight, but that's another story.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

cabezaverde
03-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Midway has Marbles & Lyman look here

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=9&Categoryid=9470&categorystring=10636***10561***703***9471***

I like the Marbles, because the sights have positive repeatable clicks. My High Wall has a Soule Tang Sight, but that's another story.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

Thank you. I am not seeing what Lyman model is used for this application.

Jon K
03-04-2007, 10:50 AM
This is it:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=546951

Jon

cabezaverde
03-04-2007, 01:15 PM
The Marbel is about $45 more - wht does one get for the extra money?

Also, how are the Pedersoli sights?

I know nothing about tang sights.

Nrut
03-04-2007, 02:20 PM
The Marbel is about $45 more - wht does one get for the extra money?

Windage...a feature I like very much!...My next hunting tang will be from Jeff's Outfitters...but you have to come up with your own screws....metric for Uberts or buy Winchester long tang site screws (Brownells) and retap/thread..Plenty of meat there on my Ubert Low Wall for big boned[smilie=1: Winchester screws.....It has windage also, cost less than both Marbles and Lyman...$44.95
www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?categoryid=65&panel=1 (http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?categoryid=65&panel=1)

If you are going to use your rifle for smokless/hunting/plinking fun I see no reason not to bob your barrel if you like....going to cut my Low Wall down to 26" from 30"....I imagine that there was plenty of factory made Winchesters made up with 26" barrels......

Griff
10-29-2023, 12:00 AM
I have two 1885s, a 45 Colt Lo-Wall and a .32-40 Hi-Wall. Both are Miroku made guns. The 45 Colt is a Browning and the .32-40 is Winchester logo'd. The Lo-Wall came with the factory Browning tang sight, basically a Marbles. The Hi-Wall came with scope rings mounted on the top of the receiver and behind the factory rear sight. I've since put a Hi-Lux 30" 6X scope on it. The mounts have been a pain in the behind to mount and finally adjust. But, this is my first foray into an externally mounted scope. I initially mounted a Lyman #2 tang peep and a Lyman 17A front globe on it, but my eyesight isn't what it once was and accuracy was disappointing. I have other rifles with tang peeps and globe fronts and haven't had quite the experience this gave me. These include a couple of Winchester 94s and a Sharps. I've used tang peep sights since the late 1980s and have never had a problem. Shooting steel with cast bullets I habitually wear glasses to protect my eyes, even before I needed corrective lenses. Even hunting, I'd wear safety glasses. There's no need to have your eye any closer to a peep than you would to a scope.

The Marbles has windage adjustment in their tang peep, whereas the only way to adjust windage on the Lyman is to either shim under one side of the sight, or adjust the front sight.

gewehrfreund
10-29-2023, 08:56 AM
I'll add my strong support for going with a tang sight and front globe! Of course, if you want to screwup the looks and handling of a fine, 19th century rifle, that's your prerogative! ;)

I have the same rifle as you (Cimarron Deluxe 30-40 Krag). It has an Italian (Pedersoli?) windage adjustable tang sight and fixed front globe (with changeable inserts). A scope really adds little if any advantage in most shooting situations, if your eyes are halfway decent and you become familiar with the sights.

Kraschenbirn
10-29-2023, 12:53 PM
I have two highwalls...a 38-55 and a 45-70 with Shaver tang sights and a 32-20 low wall with a Marble. Have put, literally, thousands of rounds downrange without a single mishap involving those sights. Also, once you become accustomed to a tang sight, you'll find it's darn near as accurate as a low-power scope at hunting ranges. Btw...congratulations on your new rifle. I've had the itch for one of those for several years but never run across one 'off the rack' where I could do a swap and/or a little bargainin'. So, if you should decide you don't like that one...:???:

Bill

pworley1
10-29-2023, 02:40 PM
+1 on the tang sight.