PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Point .45 Review: The Pistol of Savings!

savage1r
01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
My thoughts on this particular pistol, let me know what you think!
VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVMf2wHsJw)

Trey45
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
For someone who knows what they're getting into, and knows what to expect from those guns, they're not really "all that bad". They do seem to have an almost cult like following. It also seems like there are 2 distinct camps when it comes to Hi Point guns. You either love them, or hate them, with not too many in betweeners :)

jh45gun
01-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I like my High Point 45 a couple of points weight wise it is not any heavier than a 1911 only issue is that all the weight in a Hi Point is in the slide where the 1911 the weight is distributed all over. An other thing you do not need to ship it back to the factory using a FFL since you own the gun and your shipping it in to be repaired. The company should either send you a shipping tag or give you a number to put on the package.

tek4260
01-04-2012, 10:25 PM
So are they like a fat girl ... ok around the house, but not something you want to go showing off in town? :):)

Mooseman
01-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I bought one for use on My gold dredge as a tool box gun..in case it fell in the river I wasnt out a Colt. I was surprised when I loaded it with mixed ammo and it ate everything I fed it and was a good shooter just a bulky one...
They work and the guarantee is lifetime to any owner...

Rich

mooman76
01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Like Trey45 said. Allot of people cut them down but you don't by a Datsun and expect it to perform like a BMW. I had a couple and they weren't the best but performed well for the money and never had a jam. The earlier ones were very heavy and boxy uncomfortable.

Bret4207
01-05-2012, 08:29 AM
I see nothing wrong with them other than esthetically. I never understood this desire some folks have to cut down inexpensive products simply because they aren't pretty or finely finished. I have good, high quality tools and I have Harbor Freight tools. They all work, some just are nicer to use than others.

SeabeeMan
01-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I have a C9 pistol and a 995 carbine (got both for $175) and have nothing but good things to say. I have run thousands of rounds through the pistol and it has never jammed. The carbine is getting put through its paces and appears to be right on track with the pistol. They certainly are big and nobody is going to oh and ah over it like they might a chromed out 1911 or Magnum Research, but I have been nothing but impressed with the performance.

roverboy
03-07-2015, 10:36 AM
So are they like a fat girl ... ok around the house, but not something you want to go showing off in town? :):)

I like that. That's pretty good.

300winmag
03-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Not the prettiest, not the most accurate, for the money they are a workhorse.

turtlezx
03-07-2015, 12:19 PM
What are the 45acp jhp pistols getting for group size ?????????????

bhn22
03-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Yet another Zombie thread...

richhodg66
03-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Yet another Zombie thread...

?????????

Not interested in their pistols, but I'm not really into auto pistols anyway, I like my revolvers.

The carbines on the other hand look like a hoot. Seen a few at the range and they sure seem like fun. I don't think I'd consider one a serious defensive weapon, but for blasting soda cans and such I think they'd be hard to beat.

18Bravo
03-07-2015, 04:08 PM
A few years ago I made the mistake (at least I thought so at the time) of loaning one of my employees $100. As it turned out he couldn't come up with the money so he gave me a 995 carbine in 9mm to call it even. This was one of the butt ugly first generation carbines that he had outfitted with an ATI stock and Bushnell red dot. As far as rifles go, it's about as basic as you can get in design and function. Basic blowback at its very best. Assembly and disassembly are an engineering nightmare and will tax anyone's patience. The early magazines either worked or where pure junk. Not even worth the time or effort to make them feed reliably. With all that said, it will shoot anything you can feed it, is reasonable accurate, it's tough as a two dollar steak and is just plain fun to kill soda cans with at 50 yards. When you really get down to it, it does exactly what my other firearms do, some costing 20 to 30 times more....it puts a boolit down the barrel and hits what it's aimed at.

Tackleberry41
03-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Yea they have a love or hate following, many really pile on when you say hi point. But its odd they continue to sell like crazy, its often difficult to order a carbine due to the demand on them.

I guess some are decent guns others not so much, not from a functional standpoint, they all seem to work. But accuracy. I was hanging out with a friend at the range he works at, hes a hater, wont even shoot my carbine. Guy came in asking about his '45'. He had a target, none were even close to the middle, they were everywhere. Hipoint pistol, just luck of the draw he got a bad one. My friends advice was to use it as an anchor, I did point out they arent very good at that since an anchor needs to be heavier.

roverboy
03-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Hey, I bought one this morning. A JHP .45ACP. I've not shot it yet though. Looks good and it is HEAVY! But I kinda like the looks of it. Looks real beasty.

jonp
03-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Heavy, bulky and fits my hand fantastic. Shoots everything. I love the pebble finish on it. I have a couple and they are a ton of fun.

smkummer
03-08-2015, 07:45 AM
I did shoot a 9mm highpoint and it appears all the comments apply. I will not own one because I can afford a sleeker weapon. If someone just needs a handgun for a handgun and is cash strapped, it appears this is the ticket. If down the road, you find yourself in a position to upgrade, you probably will. Its cheaper to make a gun with a unlocked breech but it either involves a heavy bolt (submachine guns) or in this case a heavy slide.

roverboy
03-10-2015, 06:02 PM
I shot it Yesterday afternoon, and it shot good. I was shooting handloads with 230 gr. cast. It fed them great but, I wonder about wide nose flat points or wide mouth hollow points.

Texantothecore
03-12-2015, 07:32 PM
I shot and impressed. It seems to be quite durable. It was fun to shoot.

There are lots of owners who love their Hi Point and can certainly their feelings. It was a big surprise.

DanOH
03-12-2015, 10:45 PM
I have never shot one.
What do the triggers feel like?

aspangler
03-12-2015, 10:55 PM
I have a C9 and a JHP 45. Both function without a hitch and eat anything I can feed them. (Mostly cast.)Neither one is a carry gun but I do carry the 45 to the woods around here. Not bears. Pot growers. BTW one thing that has not been said is that they carry a lifetime warranty no matter who owns it. If it fails, send it to them and get it fixed free.

ravelode
03-13-2015, 10:15 AM
A few years ago I made the mistake (at least I thought so at the time) of loaning one of my employees $100. As it turned out he couldn't come up with the money so he gave me a 995 carbine in 9mm to call it even. This was one of the butt ugly first generation carbines that he had outfitted with an ATI stock and Bushnell red dot. As far as rifles go, it's about as basic as you can get in design and function. Basic blowback at its very best. Assembly and disassembly are an engineering nightmare and will tax anyone's patience. The early magazines either worked or where pure junk. Not even worth the time or effort to make them feed reliably. With all that said, it will shoot anything you can feed it, is reasonable accurate, it's tough as a two dollar steak and is just plain fun to kill soda cans with at 50 yards. When you really get down to it, it does exactly what my other firearms do, some costing 20 to 30 times more....it puts a boolit down the barrel and hits what it's aimed at.
Got my 995 first gen LNIB for $110 at Cabelas 4 yrs ago. It has digested thousands of rounds of any type ammo. With good loads it will shoot 1" 5shot groups at 25 yards w a truglo red dot. The original stock slaps my cheek so I added 3/8" foam to the cheek piece. Since .22LR is so damn hard to get I've been using it for ground squirrels. With cast boolits of course.

Texantothecore
03-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Triggers are smooth with a clean break. Very nice.

jonp
03-13-2015, 04:07 PM
I have a C9 and a JHP 45. Both function without a hitch and eat anything I can feed them. (Mostly cast.)Neither one is a carry gun but I do carry the 45 to the woods around here. Not bears. Pot growers. BTW one thing that has not been said is that they carry a lifetime warranty no matter who owns it. If it fails, send it to them and get it fixed free.
The customer service is something every company should emulate. I bought one off of someone for $50 who needed the money. The guy he got it from was a junior gunsmith and did a little tinkering that is quite common having to do with the mag release and threw away the parts. I went online, id'd the parts missing from the exploded diagram and called them to order the parts. A few days later they arrived at no charge.

I own handguns worth 10x the price of these new but love the heck out of them. Take them where your safe queen dares not tread and they will go bang every time

spfd1903
03-13-2015, 04:28 PM
I got the .40 S & W pistol a couple years ago. With the Lee 175 gr. boolit, it shoots 1" groups at 15 yards and has always functioned. I have the 9 mm pistol and the .380 Auto pistol. The .380 has so far shot five or six different factory loads, all with 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 10 yards. Working on a cast boolit load for it now. The C9 is rarely accurate with any type of ammo at 7 yards. After a couple years I finally got a combination of a Lee 125 grain .358 Rf with PP that works. The 995 carbine is dependable and clusters most ammo around 2" at 30 yards. Thinking of sending the C9 in for replacement with some photos of several targets.

bedbugbilly
03-14-2015, 09:09 PM
I have never held one or shot one. I have a friend who has one though and he likes it for plinking and range and seems to be satisfied with it. Interesting video on it. I don't think I'd want to CCW one but for plinking and range - it might be a fun gun and not a great expense. Thanks for the post. Anyone have any experience with the .380 version?

Garyshome
03-14-2015, 09:42 PM
I'd like the carbines more if they would use Glock mags [ I might even get one]. Cheap gun Expensive mags...what's up with that.
It is way more attractive to buy a gun that I already have mags for. Like a Ket Tec carbine, cheaper in the long run.

roverboy
03-15-2015, 08:02 AM
I've not had my JHP very long but, have shot it some, and it shoots good and I don't notice the weight that much. That's the one thing I heard about the Hi Point JHP was the weight. Oh Yeah...... Also how ugly it is. I don't think they look all that bad.

Animal
03-15-2015, 09:31 AM

I think we could start a new thread off of this comment. Women and guns both need love. Can't discriminate too much.

roverboy
03-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Here is a movie that says it all.134011

FergusonTO35
03-15-2015, 02:54 PM
I have a strange desire to get a Hi-Point CF-380. I think it would be a good choice for a workshop/tractor gun, easy to shoot with its 29 oz. weight, and useful for load development while I save for a Glock 42. What say you guys? I think for $129.95 its a good idea.

Or, expressed another way, I already have a Lee 356-95RF mold and some range brass. That's enough of a reason to buy a gun right? ;-P

roverboy
04-02-2015, 04:29 PM
My Hi- Point is a second hand. It had the peep sight on it when I got it, and I've shot it some with it on but, I'm not all that crazy about the peep.
Anyway, I called Hi- Point and asked about buying the regular sight with 2 orange dots. I noticed that the guy that answered didn't ask for my credit card info, he just wanted to know my name and address. I told him and he just said, I get it right out to you. NO CHARGE! I didn't know what to say really. I thanked him and said have a good day and bye. They are awesome!

RobsTV
04-02-2015, 05:18 PM
With nearly 2 dozen handguns, sorry to say the C9 is the most accurate, with always a small ragged hole at 10 yards (Mihec 128gr HP). Sorry because I just got rid of it last week. Friend has the 995TS and wife wanted to get him the C9 to go with it for 30th anniversary. Month ago picked up an XDm 9mm 3.8" that I really want to like with it's high capacity. So, in order to keep the XDm, the C9 had to go (to a good home). Sorry XDm, the C9 was still easily more accurate.

Prior to passing on the C9, I was doing an endurance test, and had not cleaned the C9 in more than 700 rounds. It all of a sudden had extraction issues (duh). Tore down and cleaned, but noticed the extractor seemed weak. Called Hi-Point to explain I was getting rid of gun, and they said send it in for them to go over, free of charge, and they'll include a free mag for "my trouble". Sent it off on a Wednesday, they got it Friday, and they shipped it back to me Tuesday, arriving Thursday. Total out of my sight for 8 days. Replaced slide and springs. No charge. They also included a new factory box with correct serial number and all the goodies such as ghost sights, lock and manual, plus a spare magazine as promised.

For comparison, when I called S&W to inquire about parts for my 4506-1, the last thing they wanted to discuss was them touching it, and even explaining that I would need proof of original purchase if they could not find 4506-1 parts tucked in a corner of a bench someplace. I sold the 4506-1 the next day, and no, it was not nearly as accurate as the C9, so no regrets.

BTW, I still have the matching 40's of 4095TS and JCP.

FergusonTO35
04-03-2015, 10:43 AM
I currently have .380 dies, brass, and boolits. Now just gotta save up for a CF-380!

Not surprised to hear of your experience with the 4506. I have read in a couple of places that S&W no longer supports the metal frame pistols at all. Ruger doesnt either, but they will swap your gun for a current model or at least give you a discount.