PDA

View Full Version : BLR fears unfounded

pipehand
01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Bought a 1970 Belgian made BLR in .308 last week while I was out of town. Heard all sorts of stories about them needing small based dies to reload. Not so this one. Not only would it easily chamber empty fired brass from my Win. Mod.70, it fired the winchester's favorite cast boolit reload as well. Extracting unfired rounds showed light engraving on the noses of the RCBS 30-165 SIL boolits.
As near as I could tell from what was essentially a function check, the new levergun should be pretty accurate. It is only wearing the factory sights, and they were a blur to me. My eyes have been giving me trouble lately. A visit to the optometrist is in order, and an order for a scope and rings and bases is imminent.
I'm also thinking about a hollow point version of the RCBS design, or one a bit heavier.The mould I have is over 20 years old and has performed flawlessly, so I won't be having it modified.

MT Gianni
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Mine wears a low power scope. It started with a Tasco World Class 2x8 and now has a Leupold 2x7. Their accuracy comes out best with glass though they also benefit with a peep.

captaint
01-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, I can assure you mine, also in .308 definately needs small base dies. Had to squeeze em so small, got a case separation upon extraction after first loading. Haven't loaded for it since, and this occured back in the mid 70's. Haven't shot it since, either. Very accurate rifle with factory ammo, though. enjoy Mike

Te Hopo
01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Hmmm mine works fine with normal dies as well.
As to glass, I reckon the Leupold VXII 3-9x40 looks mighty fine on it and was a major upgrade on the 30 year old Bushnell 1.75-5x20 the old man had on it when he handed it down to me.